Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I don't think I have an auto ISO setting when using shutter priority but the fully auto point and shoot mode has it. I guess the best way to go at this would be to start with 100 the lowest ISO setting possible in shutter priority mode and try to dial in 1/2000 sec and see if I can get get an aperture that will work and move up the ISO from there to either 200 or 400 if needed. Without the auto ISO setting is that how you would approach this?

I just looked it up and you are correct that there is no Auto-ISO feature.

Focus on something that isn't very bright to see if you are going to underexpose at f/4 and whatever ISO you start with. If you are, manually move the ISO up until you are good. The aperture will just close down a little on brighter subjects. If you do this in overcast conditions and later in the day the sun comes out to stay, check it again and see if you can lower the ISO. Also take into account that when you zoom in, the f/ increases, so if you are borderline zoomed out, you will be underexposed with the same subject in the same light after zooming in.

If you want to be perfect, go full manual, set shutter, aperture and ISO based on gray card metering in the light you will be shooting in, and don't change the zoom during the flight. I'm not that picky, so I just let the camera do all the work. It will sometimes cause a nice new white rocket to be overexposed, or a rocket at apogee in bright skies to be a little dark, but I'm not trying to get published anywhere.

I think the best thing you can do is just shoot like crazy and experiment. My son and I launch in the pasture so I don't get any practice like you would at a club launch.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Again I appreciate the suggestions. Your launch images are always fantastic so I'm paying attention here.

Not always, he only posts the ones where he got lucky.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
Not always, he only posts the ones where he got lucky.

You just forfeited your Christmas presents, bucko.