Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default Where's Carl?

He's been awfully quiet lately.

I bet he's just working on some really cool new stuff to release in time for NARAM-49.

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

I'm hoping Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce are taking a vacation so they don't get burned out.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I'm hoping Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce are taking a vacation so they don't get burned out.

Someone had better go check on the Krell furnaces, make sure they are not running at full capcity.

"Monsters from the Id!"

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
He's been awfully quiet lately.

I bet he's just working on some really cool new stuff to release in time for NARAM-49.

Bob

He's around. He and Sheryl login here every day.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Bob Sez:

"Someone had better go check on the Krell furnaces, make sure they are not running at full capcity."

Not a problem. That is "Forbidden" on this "Planet"!!!

I always note that Carl and Sheryl have usually logged in to the forum. I think that they are on to us and they have lately been holding their cards close to the vest. Busy making (censored)!

Chas
Old 06-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I always note that Carl and Sheryl have usually logged in to the forum. I think that they are on to us and they have lately been holding their cards close to the vest. Busy making (censored)!

Chas

Yes, I, too, have noticed that Carl and Sheryl have been logging in to the forum regularly.

I look forward to whatever Semroc is cooking up for it's NARAM releases.

For me, it will be pretty hard for them to top what they brought out just before NARAM-48 last year (Explorer, Hustler, Lil' Hustler, Aero-Dart).

I could be pleasantly surprised, though.

Bob
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Default Right Here!

As Scott said, we are always here, just very busy. Sheryl just pointed out this thread. She said that there might be a search party if I did not respond.

As many of you know, we are much like college professors; "Publish or Perish!" It is a delicate balance of releasing new kits, working on future products (like engines!), and keeping the flow of >1200 different parts ready to be shipped in less than 24 hours. This is NOT a complaint. It really is fun. I don't think Sheryl or Bruce consider any of it to be at the level of a "vacation" but I like it and can tell that we are making an impact.

Anyway.... what have be been working on?

1. Julie 4 - We now have a third CNC nose cone lathe operational. Supposedly an improvement over the first two, she is much more finicky. She will be able to do longer nose cones up to 3" diameter. Julie 2 was a concept prototype that has turned over 10,000 nose cones and is probably near end of life or up for overhaul. After we ran the first several batches of nose cones, it struck me as ironic that the first two nose cones we turned on it were the BC-714 and BC-1631 that were also the first two production nose cones we turned on Julie 1 in 1968!

2. OEM's - We now manufacture nose cones, fins, etc. for eight other small companies. This is becoming a significant amount of our time, even though it has much smaller profit margins.

3. Engines - The design of our first machine is completed and work has begun. It is starting to look like a machine. As we get ahead a few dollars, we buy more parts for it. The printed circuit boards for the controller and static test stands are ready to order. The program for the static test stands is complete and works on a wire-wrap prototype. The program for the controller for the engine machine is flowcharted and major routines are completed. It is much better than the original. It can sense air pressure to better than 1 PSI and position of cylinders to .010". There is still much to do.

4. EX-numbers - On hold until I can nail down the delay formula. We all REALLY, REALLY want bright orange smoke so our flights are distinguishable. Unfortunately, bright orange is based on lower temperature Potassium Chlorate which can not be compressed near sulfur. (I learned this when I was about 14. We would mix them carefully, tape the mixture to the tin siding on a barn and shoot it with a BB gun to cause it to explode. The tin siding made it much louder. Scared the chickens!) It is still possible to do bright orange in DECAPS. Or in primary engines if I can get a potassium nitrate-based mixture to work.

5. Kits for NARAM - In the works are Space Shuttle (Casey 6), SLS ARCAS 1/2 Scale, Omega with Boostervision in Cineroc look-alike capsule, Visitor, and others. Somewhere between zero and four kits will be announced at NARAM. (Probably two.)

Thanks to all the SVDT members for their patience and invaluable help.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Carl,

Good to hear from you!

What you are working on sounds good!

A maximum of four new kits will be released by NARAM. Whew! My wallet thanks you.

See you in a few weeks.

Bob
Old 07-01-2007, 06:23 PM

Carl revealed:

"Kits for NARAM - In the works are Space Shuttle (Casey 6), SLS ARCAS 1/2 Scale, Omega with Boostervision in Cineroc look-alike capsule, Visitor, and others. Somewhere between zero and four kits will be announced at NARAM. (Probably two.)"

Okay, I got dibs on the kits at NARAM-49. Jeez, I'll just add them to the queue.

See, I told you that they were working on (censored).

Chas
Old 07-01-2007, 06:28 PM

"We all REALLY, REALLY want bright orange smoke so our flights are distinguishable"

Wasn't there a company called Kell that claimed to have motors with colored delay smoke back in the late 1960s? IIRC, they were demoed at NARAM-10. My first NARAM was 11.
Any denser or colored smoke would be great if it can be A) cost effective and B) repeatable.

We'll give you a week. Sure wish I had my Gilbert Chemistry Lab from the mid-60s...

Chas