Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Master Modeler

A few years ago someone here was using DEFT spray on sealer so I decided to give it a try. I also bought a tub of sealer like the one shown in the picture above. The spray stuff, did not work very well at all. The jar of sanding sealer did not work as well as Aerogloss for giving me a smooth finish but it is a lot cheaper and it will work. I will definitely stay with Aerogloss, but for all means give Deft a try. I would compare Deft to the Pinewood sanding sealer. I know it is not the same but the results are equal.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

One can take whatever sanding sealer is purchased and add about 5% by volume baby powder to make the material more sandable and fill better.

Jerry
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
A few years ago someone here was using DEFT spray on sealer so I decided to give it a try. I also bought a tub of sealer like the one shown in the picture above. The spray stuff, did not work very well at all. The jar of sanding sealer did not work as well as Aerogloss for giving me a smooth finish but it is a lot cheaper and it will work. I will definitely stay with Aerogloss, but for all means give Deft a try. I would compare Deft to the Pinewood sanding sealer. I know it is not the same but the results are equal.

I'm not sure by your description of buying a "tub", we are talking the same product. What I bought was in a quart-sized metal paint can, and the product has the typical lacquer smell. It has a milky look, and stirring it brought up a white "paste" from the bottom of the can, so it definitely has fillers.

I painted the nose cone the other night. For prep I had done at least 3 coats of sanding sealer (it was done over several days, so it may have been 4). Since this was my first turned nose cone on my lathe, and use of a new sanding sealer, I wanted to make sure it was filled pretty well. Two primer coats, then I painted. Results were as good as any I've had.

By the way ... I just turned a piece of redheart for the decorative top of a wine stopper -- hardwood is a LOT easier to turn than balsa!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp