Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Old Submariner

I LOVE The Prop Shop in Warren, MI! I visit there whenever I have to fix machines at a customer's plant in Centerline.

I'm rather surprised The Prop Shop DOESN'T have Semroc.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I LOVE The Prop Shop in Warren, MI! I visit there whenever I have to fix machines at a customer's plant in Centerline.

I'm rather surprised The Prop Shop DOESN'T have Semroc.
If they have customers who are teachers (or students--that's a certainty), an "angle" you all could use to pitch Semroc kits to them is Shop and Industrial Arts classes. Semroc's RTB (Ready-To-Build) kits such as the XK-23, Aphelion, and Start are perfect for Shop class and Industrial Arts class projects, either with each individual student building his/her own kit or with groups of 3 - 4 students each building a kit.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nope, no Semroc at The Prop Shop in Warren.
They have pretty much the entire Estes line and a smattering of odds-n-ends ages old Aerotech kits and that's it. No Semroc, Quest, or any of the other smaller brands either. NOTHING at ALL for High-Power either.
A very good point about the Prop Shop though is they carry the full color line of Brodak Butyrate Dope, which effectively replaced the Aero Gloss line years ago; comes in at least 3 times the colors ever offered by Pactra to boot.

Rider's Hobby in Madison Heights used to carry PML, LOC and other HPR brands, but they closed like 5 years ago with all their stock moving up to the Flint store. The rocketry selection at Rider's in Flint absolutely stinks. That hobby store is more of a glorified high-priced toy store than anything else.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Old Submariner

Are they related to Riders Hobby in Yipsie?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

At one time, Rider's Hobby consisted of 6 stores owned by two brothers with each owning/operating three with shared inventory across all six as needed was my understanding.
Of the original 6, only the Flint, Ypsi, and Grand Rapids stores still exist.
The Madison Heights store closed about 4-5 years ago, with the Lansing store before that.
I think the other store that closed may have been in Ann Arbor.

I know the inventory from Madison Heights went directly to Flint when they shut that store down, so that store must have been owned by the brother that owned Flint.

Not sure of the ownership relationship that exists now or if it is even owned by the same family.

The Flint Riders was an absolutely AWESOME hobby shop when it was in a lousy section of Flint; it was an "olde tyme" hobby shop that had everything one could possibly want, jammed into every little nook and cranny possible.
It was 25 tons of stuff jammed into a 5 ton box.
One INSTANTLY got the aroma of Aero Gloss as soon as walking in. It was GREAT.

The new location has 2 times the square footage in a much better newish strip-mall location. Unfortunately the inventory consists of better than 50% over-priced glorified toys. R/C makes up probably at least 35% of the remainder, with 15% left for all other hobbies including plastic models, rockets, and trains.

The scale aircraft plastic model selection in Flint is WAY worse than the average Hobby Lobby.
It is really sad the amount of space they take up with flat-out pathetic JUNK that belongs in a hobby shop no more than a rack of used bowling balls or branding irons belongs in a hobby shop.

They price most everything at full retail as well; for the life of me I have no clue what IDIOTS pay those prices other than for small items like R/C props, clevises, and numerous other small hardware/finishing/tool items.
Major items like R/C engines and Radios are MAYBE 10% off retail.
ARF electrics and rockets are 100% retail.

I don't know how the Ypsi and Grand Rapids stores are, but it would be hard to believe they could be worse than Flint. I go into Flint once every 6mos or so just to laugh compared to the old store.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator

There was one in downtown Ann Arbor that sounds like it was a lot like the one in Flint you remember. Old, musty, and full of cool stuff. That one closed in the mid-90's. I happened into the Lansing one once right after they had scored some Centuri kits from a warehouse in Illinois. I grabbed all the good stuff and asked for more They said they had taken all there was (not much I'm afraid). This was around '94-95 maybe?

The one in Ypsi has moved down Carpenter Road about a mile north of it's old corner of Carpenter and Ellsworth location. I've been in a few times since the move. They stay stocked in Estes stuff, but that's about it. At least they seem to be doing alright.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Retired Missile Technician

A bit off topic, but I had a call from John Hudson with whom I was stationed with decades ago in the Air Force. John is the owner of Hudsons Classic Hobbies in Nashville, TN (4825 Trousdale Drive 37220). He carries several rocketry brands and also has some old kits for sale (I have dibs on the Estes Thor Agena B!). Anyway, anyone in the Nashville area might want to check out his shop.

Chas
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
At one time, Rider's Hobby consisted of 6 stores owned by two brothers with each owning/operating three with shared inventory across all six as needed was my understanding.
Of the original 6, only the Flint, Ypsi, and Grand Rapids stores still exist.
The Madison Heights store closed about 4-5 years ago, with the Lansing store before that.
I think the other store that closed may have been in Ann Arbor. -SNIP-
If you have their contact information (e-mail addresses would be great, but telephone numbers and postal addresses would be fine), I encourage you to send these hobby vendors' contact information to Semroc, as they are *ALWAYS* on the lookout for new retailers for their model rocket kits. (They thanked me profusely for sending them the contact information for the hobby shops I frequented when I lived in Miami and northern Georgia.)

-- Jason
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR