Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Master Modeler

Default F45 Fighter Jet

Not really sure what to call this one, so this name will do for now. This is my second attempt at a fighter-type rocket/plane. I came up with this one while driving from San Antonio to Houston today. It's a long trip with lots of time to think and dream.

Anyway, this is modeled loosely after an F14 and an F5. I'd like to put a cockpit on it but I'm not sure how to do that.

The side "engine" tubes are supposed to be cut at an angle so they are closer to the main tube at the rear of the rocket than they are at the front. The nosecones in the "engine" inlets are supposed to be cut in half and one placed on either side of the rocket. The top tube will be split down the middle and run from the rear of the cockpit to the rear of the rocket. The fins are all TTW except for the two on the bottom. The engine mount is a dual 24mm, possibly canted but definitely will have to be cut into the main body tube to make it fit.

Times off the rod are good, deployment velocities are good for C11 and D12 engines, but not so good for the E9. Didn't try it on anything else.

Enjoy! I will definitely end up building this one hopefully very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  F45 Fighter 1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  11.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F45 Fighter.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  13.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt F45 Fighter.rkt (65.4 KB, 58 views)
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Not really sure what to call this one, so this name will do for now. This is my second attempt at a fighter-type rocket/plane. I came up with this one while driving from San Antonio to Houston today. It's a long trip with lots of time to think and dream.

Anyway, this is modeled loosely after an F14 and an F5. I'd like to put a cockpit on it but I'm not sure how to do that.

The side "engine" tubes are supposed to be cut at an angle so they are closer to the main tube at the rear of the rocket than they are at the front. The nosecones in the "engine" inlets are supposed to be cut in half and one placed on either side of the rocket. The top tube will be split down the middle and run from the rear of the cockpit to the rear of the rocket. The fins are all TTW except for the two on the bottom. The engine mount is a dual 24mm, possibly canted but definitely will have to be cut into the main body tube to make it fit.

Times off the rod are good, deployment velocities are good for C11 and D12 engines, but not so good for the E9. Didn't try it on anything else.

Enjoy! I will definitely end up building this one hopefully very soon.

I remember seeing some place on a thread that w as posted someone used a deodorant plastic cap for a cockpit. It looked pretty cool and fit nicely after some sanding and shaping.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Master Modeler

Sorry, I meant I wasn't sure how to do it in RockSim. I think when it comes down to it, I'll do something similar to what the Colonial Viper does.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Craftsman

I like the design...well thought out and interesting
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Sorry, I meant I wasn't sure how to do it in RockSim. I think when it comes down to it, I'll do something similar to what the Colonial Viper does.

It's done as a POD, using two nose cones with their shoulders removed. You call the rear NC a transition, and you have to have the rear diameter something greater than 0.00".

Next, you set the opacity at something around 50%. I usually set the color of the front section as a medium or light gray (silver), and this turns out good. The rear section can be 100% opacity, and set to the color of the body tube.

Change the material to POLYSTYRENE with a thickness of about 0.005", which represents a thin, vac-formed plastic canopy.

Position the pod where you want it and lower the radial distance until the upper half (give-or-take) looks like a proper canopy.

This very last step is not critical, but it gets you closer to the correct flying weight. Use the mass override to reduce the mass of the NCs to about 60% of their stated values.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635