Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation New Design -- Vaquero

Apparently I'm obsessed with my ST-13 upscale of the Centuri Chuter-2. Here's a variation that I think is Just Too Cool.

From the attached RockSim 8 file:

"Vaquero" is Spanish for "cowboy."

Uses 3/4 of fin set for 1.48X Centuri Chuter-2.

Deployment velocity is in chute-shredding territory on a C6-5. Reef the chute or substitute a large streamer... maybe 2" wide by 20" long (?) folded in the middle.

"Danger, Will Robinson!" --Better use a 48" guide when launching on an A8-3, since it's not stable until it's 30" up the rod. (I also wonder about the need for a second launch lug up on the payload section... )

Now if Carl will just fire up CorelDraw and his other-worldly Krellvinator (sp.?)...

Maniacal laughter ensues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_00.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  61.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_01.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  120.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_02.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  133.1 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Vaquero.rkt (70.3 KB, 88 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 03-11-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Forest Sprite

A Vaquero designed by a Goemmero! Nice!

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
"Danger, Will Robinson!" --Better use a 48" guide when launching on an A8-3, since it's not stable until it's 30" up the rod.

Bah! I would only worry if it needed 36.5" of rod to reach a safe speed. If it really needs more than 36", then you had better change that lug to 3/16", because it can be hard to find a 48" long 1/8" diameter rod that won't whip.

Quote:
...(I also wonder about the need for a second launch lug up on the payload section... )

Mandatory in the event that you put anything in that payload section. Otherwise? Well...the lug on the fin is a long way down there. Putting it there, and having it be the only lug on the rocket means that you are asking the fin and fin root to mechanically lever the rocket into alignment with the rod (for 30" of travel, no less). That's a lot to ask of a 3/32" thick balsa fin that is attached with a 1.5" long root. If the rod has to be angled into the wind for any reason, I could see the resulting torque easily breaking the fin or ripping it off. I don't think that you want the Vaquero to fly as a 2FNC.

When it is flown with engines that get it up to speed quickly before it has ridden very much of the rod, this will probably not be much of a problem. With lower thrust engines that cause it to need ever more rod guidance, it becomes a greater danger. I would put a small 3/8" long luglet right at the base of the payload section, right above the joint of the payload tube and the lower transition. If you are concerned that this will spoil those smooth, "candy shop cowboy" lines, then you could also put the lug onto a sleek, sculpted standoff just below the lower transition, shaped so that it sort of "flows" into the transition. Or else launch the Vaquero from a tower.

Quote:
Now if Carl will just fire up CorelDraw and his other-worldly Krellvinator (sp.?)...

Shouldn't that be "the alien-tecnology Krellvinator®™ (pat. pending)?"

Quote:

Ex-cell-ent...! [evil grin]

MarkII
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Vaquero, Version 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Well...the lug on the fin is a long way down there. Putting it there, and having it be the only lug on the rocket means that you are asking the fin and fin root to mechanically lever the rocket into alignment with the rod (for 30" of travel, no less). That's a lot to ask of a 3/32" thick balsa fin that is attached with a 1.5" long root. If the rod has to be angled into the wind for any reason, I could see the resulting torque easily breaking the fin or ripping it off. I don't think that you want the Vaquero to fly as a 2FNC.
Well, *no...*

Quote:
I would put a small 3/8" long luglet right at the base of the payload section, right above the joint of the payload tube and the lower transition. If you are concerned that this will spoil those smooth, "candy shop cowboy" lines, then you could also put the lug onto a sleek, sculpted standoff just below the lower transition, shaped so that it sort of "flows" into the transition.
Thanks for the input, Mark! (Not to mention the reality check.)

Here's version 2 of the Vaquero, with suggested bigger launch lugs, as well as another lauch lug standoff mounted forward on the ST-10 lower body tube. <big evil grin>

The first four sims are in RS8 "before" the modification. The last four are in RS9.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_v2_3D.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  144.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_00.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  61.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  120.2 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Vaquero_v2.rkt (110.4 KB, 111 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 09-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Here's version 2 of the Vaquero, with suggested bigger launch lugs, as well as another lauch lug standoff mounted forward on the ST-10 lower body tube. <big evil grin>

The first four sims are in RS8 "before" the modification. The last four are in RS9.

You added a launch lug on a standoff, and it goes higher on every engine? Cool!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Forest Sprite

Very nice, Jay. That forward launch lug looks like it belongs there. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that it had been part of the design all along. I have a special fondness for sweet, clean designs like this one. I give it two thumbs up!

MarkII
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Apparently I'm obsessed with my ST-13 upscale of the Centuri Chuter-2. Here's a variation that I think is Just Too Cool.

From the attached RockSim 8 file:

"Vaquero" is Spanish for "cowboy."

Uses 3/4 of fin set for 1.48X Centuri Chuter-2.

Deployment velocity is in chute-shredding territory on a C6-5. Reef the chute or substitute a large streamer... maybe 2" wide by 20" long (?) folded in the middle.

"Danger, Will Robinson!" --Better use a 48" guide when launching on an A8-3, since it's not stable until it's 30" up the rod. (I also wonder about the need for a second launch lug up on the payload section... )

Nice sleek design Jay ..... very nice!

Man, Carl's Krellvinator has been spewing out some parts lately .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Jay's Vaquero, "Mark II"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Very nice, Jay. That forward launch lug looks like it belongs there. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that it had been part of the design all along.

I have a special fondness for sweet, clean designs like this one. I give it two thumbs up!
Let's just say that I was distinctly influenced by you. And I mean that in the most positive sense.

Good luck, buddy!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014