Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Default $293.00 for a pre-Damon Farside-X!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Folks,

I purchased a 'Line Kit' (first or second year iteration) of this kit from Tim Joyce for a whopping $125.00 back in 1999... (mint and factory sealed).

Why oh why have prices gone through the roof across the board on 1960's - 80's model rockets? Did some large collection(s) get destroyed in the Mid-West flooding?

Is Cristie's Auctions now featuring model rockets? What has happened?!?

Are model rockets the New American currency with model rocketeers? I know that several Mid-West states are now accepting gold and silver as opposed to worthless American Dollars ... are people 'dumping' dollars for safer investments? Thoughts please.

J
Old 06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quite pricey...I wonder if it comes with Bill Simon's autograph. It seems silly to pay that much when you can get all the parts from Semroc and clone one for less than $20.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, if you missed that one looks like there is another Farside-X listed, along with a standard Farside, each with about six days to go.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Are model rockets the New American currency with model rocketeers? I know that several Mid-West states are now accepting gold and silver as opposed to worthless American Dollars ... are people 'dumping' dollars for safer investments? Thoughts please.
Why does everything have to have an anti-American component for you dude?
Seriously, not everyone is as paranoid and as pessimistic about our country and our peoples resolve.
Most of us are very proud to live here and have benefited financially, as one does in a capitalistic democracy, and can now use those resources to buy the little things that make us happy; that is, for those of us (sorry buddy) that can express happiness.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Why does everything have to have an anti-American component for you dude?
Seriously, not everyone is as paranoid and as pessimistic about our country and our peoples resolve.
Most of us are very proud to live here and have benefited financially, as one does in a capitalistic democracy, and can now use those resources to buy the little things that make us happy; that is, for those of us (sorry buddy) that can express happiness.

My posts are never anti-American ... they are howsoever anti-stupidity ... something that far too many American citizens gravitate towards

Some of us, even those who like the Estes Red Max model rocket kit, are stupid and a drain upon the greater society. Now I know that statement is flippant and arrogant on my part, but UNFORTUNATELY it is true

"No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have searched the record for years, and employed agents to help me has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." - H.L. Mencken

or his streamline quote paraphrased from the above quote:

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." - H.L. Mencken

If you don't like it, then I suggest you hire a medium and take it up personally with H.L. Mencken himself

Who am I talking to anyway?

Jonathan - Off to catch the early X-Men show...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That price is OUT OF FREAKIN HAND !
There are not that many Ford Pintos or Mavericks left either...that does not mean they are worth anything.
Seems that far too many in the rocketry community always seem to FOOLISHLY equate rarity with value.
Dinosaur turds are now quite rare...does not mean they are worth anything.

A good example is the TK Astron Birdie which is extremely rare- think was made 1973 only. It is just a Shuttlecock, a piece of BT-5, and a Launch Lug. Have sold for over $200 for about 39 cents worth of materials. GET REAL !

Agree with the anti-stupidity comment as well. I am of the same camp, and will go so far as to say I am sick and tired of politicians thinking they have to protect the lowest-common-denominator knuckle-dragging mouth-breathing neanderthal brained idiots in society. THEY are a drag on the nation as a whole. Big bucks should be spent where it will do society the MOST, not least good. The whole definition of "Special" education as we know it in US society is backwards.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Der Red, who ever you are...

I am not the only one on here that feels the SAME way about our nation.

Let me sum it up with a quote I heard years ago and I fully believe:

'I love my country, but fear my government'

Today we have far too many American's who love their government and fear their country.

Now you only have to decide which side to ally yourself and wait for the opening shot...

Jonathan 'Everyone knows who I am...' Dunbar
Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Old BAR

Yeah, but why take it out on the poor Red Max, Jonathan?
That, my friends, is one of my favorites and was when I built one when they first came out in the Citation Series. Loved it then; love it now.
Not many 3-finned rockets will you find with as much 'personality' as the Red Max!
The market for these certain rockets to which you refer is what it is. Be happy for the soul who sold it; if you had been the one who did, I KNOW you'd be dancin' in the streets!
I agree it's a little nutty to pay that kind of cash for a Farside X, but it might have been the guy's favorite rocket when he was a kid...or he's completing ownership of all the rockets in his favorite catalogue...or his 25 yo girlfriend is trying to make him happy...
It is a seller's market now for these. Dont buy 'em if you ain't got the $$$$!

Allen
Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Well said, JD, well said !
I would add "Those willing to trade Liberty/Freedom for Safety deserve NEITHER" as well...I feel a LOT safer myself with a Glock on the hip and an M16 (AR-15) slung over MY shoulder than ANY police state can provide.
If the founding fathers were alive, all the excess gubmint would have NEVER been allowed to form/exist. The level of intrusion into everyday activity is ridiculous with CPSC this, EPA that, FBI this, DEA that, DOT this, FCC that, FDA this, IRS that, OSHA this, DOJ that....hell they even let the CIA operate within the borders of our country now and last I checked, that is strictly VERBOTEN. It's high time that a law is passed that requires citizen-voted-only US constitutional amendment to restrict personal freedoms of US Citizens for ANY reason, no matter what the supposed 'greater societal good' may be. ENOUGH ALREADY !
I would have ZERO problem if they used these "patriot act" laws to specifically target FOREIGNERS that fit the terrorist profile, but they don't for BS PC reasons. They are even using them against tax cheats and drug dealers as they are bogusly allowed to dynamically define what constitutes terrorism. Absolute power CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY and it is getting far worse.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Well said, JD, well said !
I would add "Those willing to trade Liberty/Freedom for Safety deserve NEITHER" as well...I feel a LOT safer myself with a Glock on the hip and an M16 (AR-15) slung over MY shoulder than ANY police state can provide.
If the founding fathers were alive, all the excess gubmint would have NEVER been allowed to form/exist. The level of intrusion into everyday activity is ridiculous with CPSC this, EPA that, FBI this, DEA that, DOT this, FCC that, FDA this, IRS that, OSHA this, DOJ that....hell they even let the CIA operate within the borders of our country now and last I checked, that is strictly VERBOTEN. It's high time that a law is passed that requires citizen-voted-only US constitutional amendment to restrict personal freedoms of US Citizens for ANY reason, no matter what the supposed 'greater societal good' may be. ENOUGH ALREADY !
I would have ZERO problem if they used these "patriot act" laws to specifically target FOREIGNERS that fit the terrorist profile, but they don't for BS PC reasons. They are even using them against tax cheats and drug dealers as they are bogusly allowed to dynamically define what constitutes terrorism. Absolute power CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY and it is getting far worse.

GH,

You are a dangerous man for you don't allow yourself to be led around with a nose ring ... now why is that?!?

GH, I will never back down when it comes to God and Constitution. If it means I am not invited to the little rocket clubs and clicks on the web and at the range, screw em'!

And yes the Red Max (rocket) is very nice, but I believe the Citation Patriot to be a better 3FNC rocket!

This is Bill's Patriot IIRC: