Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
BP Mafia

Default An old friend dropped in today.....

Driving home from visiting Dad and I happened to glance to see if my Patriot was still in the tree. It was there on Sunday, but gone today, so I parked and was going to walk over and see if I could salvage anything. I parked right under the pole where the Drifter has been since April and out of habit looked up to see how it was weathering the months.

It wasn't there.

Yeah, I was shocked, and even more shocked to find the body laying at the foot of the pole. The chute, shock cord and nose cone are still up there. One of the fins apparently broke off when it landed, but what was left of the motor came out easily.
Yeah, this one could possibly fly again.

Oh, and no sign of the Patriot. Hope it made some kid happy.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Master Modeler

Ha! Now there's a treat. When that one got hung up—even I felt bad. Such a nifty little rocket.

I recall when you posted photos of it, fresh from the building queue and paint booth. Hope you can fix'er up.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

He'll probably lose 'er again! Those Drifters just had out of sight performance! Built and flew two over the years, just one flight each. Lost them both, and that was using the 12" parachute! Those things got WAY high and wanted to catch a thermal.

Joe
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
He'll probably lose 'er again! Those Drifters just had out of sight performance! Built and flew two over the years, just one flight each. Lost them both, and that was using the 12" parachute! Those things got WAY high and wanted to catch a thermal.

Joe

Interesting—I've heard that more than once. I bought one of the Drifter kits that BMS produces and also the Semroc produced Starfire. Two very stylish/classic looking, parachute duration models.

Are there any other "company" produced duration rockets of that ilk? Just wondering.

Incidentally, Joe, you're idea of black decals is right on the money (WAC thread). I'll have to look, but I may have some on the Big Daddy sheet. I've been whittling on the black parts for other projects. Hope I have enough.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
BP Mafia

Not much hope for this one looking as good as it did on the pad back in April, but I might get it in flying trim again. I think I might pick up another one in kit form and just save this one for B6-4 flights with a tiny chute. As bad as it looks now I might just go with a C6-5 and a streamer.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986

Joe

Fact - it REALLY gets altitude. I Lost mine on the 12" chute on it's first flight back in '67. I still have the 24" chute that came with the kit. I have a partially built Drifter in a shoebox somwhere around here that I'll have to dig out now.

S.
SAM #0031
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Old Fart with Rockets

My Drifter last flew with a 24" dry cleaning bag 'chute on a B14-7. Last seen RISING over the Gulf of Mexico.

Mike

NAR 31689
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Fact - it REALLY gets altitude. I Lost mine on the 12" chute on it's first flight back in '67. I still have the 24" chute that came with the kit. I have a partially built Drifter in a shoebox somwhere around here that I'll have to dig out now.

S.
*Nods Solemnly* Had Estes not named the rocket "Drifter," a name like "Homesick Angel" would have been a perfectly descriptive alternative... I know that today's fiberglass Parachute Duration models are more efficient than the Estes Drifter and the Centuri Starfire (and can accommodate bigger 'chutes), but their gain in performance has been offset by a loss in aesthetics (they're functional, but ugly--"fugly!").
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-19-2023, 06:07 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default Learning my letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

S.

I noticed the similarity between the Drifter and this book cover. No double sweep to the fins, but still…. The book is from 1962.

***The Drifter in the photos below is the very same one from the shoebox mentioned in my original post above***

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  8F894A94-4518-412F-8A3B-C5C34283DE38.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.84 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  234C032D-C0CA-45DD-894E-007AC8A043BE.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  1.80 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  C5CA0F7D-C0BA-49D8-BC56-AA1C6797A20F.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  112.9 KB  
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 03-19-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:12 PM
Master Modeler

[IMG]Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 2.07.25 PM[/IMG] Wow. Don't know how I got this, but I haven't been here since girlie-girl passed away. Haven't built a rocket since. I have four waiting for paint. Still standing where I left them. Maybe it's time to jump back in.

Oddly, I just designed a rocket similar to to the linked Thermal Seeker (thanks). Copied the the tips of a Spitfires wings and dressed it up like one. The other linked kit looks very interesting. I have parts all over the place. 50+ kits in my attic and at least two kits half-built. I may be selling soon. Luv-ed those white boxes.