Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Austin
Sixth Grader Swears His Science Homework Was Blown Up By A Sidewinder Missile

BRANSON, MO — A young local student was forced to defend his integrity after his science project — a homemade weather balloon designed to collect atmospheric data — was destroyed by a Sidewinder missile fired from a strafing F-22 fighter jet.

"It wasn't my fault, I swear!" said Jared Gingles when questioned about his story. "I built the balloon, I tested it to make sure it worked, and when I was doing the final steps of the assignment, my homework was blown out of the sky by military aircraft."
[/url]

I would tell the kid that I would accept his argument if he could bring in the remains with a detailed crash report.

___
Old 02-23-2023, 11:16 PM
I do not like Facebook

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-24-2023, 10:29 AM
Master Modeler

Wrong AIM-9 version, but I found this funny:

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch..._1755x1275.jpeg
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 04-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Master Modeler

As I pointed out previously, this balloon flew near our ABM site in Alaska and a much earlier one flew near a related site in Hawaii.

So, they want to know more about our small ABM system primarily designed to stop a VERY limited attack... like an EMP attack from China or their ally North Korea, the latter having a HUGE asymmetrical advantage in an EMP exchange because they are so technologically backward.

Chinese spy balloon gathered intelligence from sensitive U.S. military sites, despite U.S. efforts to block it - The intelligence China collected was mostly from electronic signals, which can be picked up from weapons systems and include other communications - 3 Apr 2023

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/na...bases-rcna77155

The Chinese spy balloon that flew across the U.S. was able to gather intelligence from several sensitive American military sites, despite the Biden administration’s efforts to block it from doing so, according to two current senior U.S. officials and one former senior administration official.

China was able to control the balloon so it could make multiple passes over some of the sites (at times flying figure-eight formations) and transmit the information it collected back to Beijing in real time, the three officials said. The intelligence China collected was mostly from electronic signals, which can be picked up from weapons systems or include communications from base personnel, rather than images, the officials said.

The balloon had a self-destruct mechanism that could have been activated remotely by China, but the officials said it’s not clear if that didn’t happen because the mechanism malfunctioned or because China decided not to trigger it.

The three officials said China could have gathered much more intelligence from sensitive sites if not for thes efforts to obscure the balloon’s ability to pick up their electronic signals by stopping them from broadcasting or emitting signals.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 04-04-2023, 08:28 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Keep Blowin' them UPP !

I'd like to know how the 1st missile over Lake Huron missed STILL. Even if it was a domestic amateur balloon from the Chicago area, it was 'unidentified' and worthy of BLOWWIN' UPP !
Probably pilot didn't wait for a proper Sidewinder "Growl" and had "Buck Fever".

When in Doubt, BLOWW ITT UPP !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 04-04-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd like to know how the 1st missile over Lake Huron missed STILL.
If it was the aluminized mylar party balloon (which is why it showed up on radar) many suspect it was, it is absolutely incredible that an IR guided missile was able to hit it at all.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:54 AM
Master Modeler

The truth is up there: American spy balloons during the Cold War
April 17, 2023

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4568/1

Note that this site's curse filter removes the more offensive version of "darn" from the URL linked below.

Faxes From the Far Side
The 1950s-era Soviet mission to first photograph the far side of the moon (using captured US spy balloon film)
October 2015

https://www.****interesting.com/fax...m-the-far-side/

The Soviets recovered a number of the (US Genetrix spy balloon) gondolas themselves, and engineers began to dissect them, seeking useful information. To their surprise, they found something inside that happened to solve a little problem they had been having with one of their upcoming space missions: temperature-resistant and radiation-hardened photographic film.

The specialized film had been necessary in the Genetrix balloons due to the high altitudes involved⁠—up to 100,000 feet. Soviet engineers still didn’t know how the Americans made the film, but that didn’t stop them from repurposing it for their own spacecraft. On the 4th of October 1959, forty frames of this film were nestled inside a space probe nestled atop a rocket at the Soviet Baikonur Cosmodrome launch site in Kazakhstan. This space probe⁠—or Automatic Interplanetary Station⁠—would later come to be known as Lunik 3. It was two years to the day since the Soviets had launched Sputnik 1, history’s first artificial satellite. And less than a month prior, the Soviets had celebrated the first spacecraft to actually come into contact with the moon. That spacecraft, Lunik 2, had deliberately crashed into the moon, peppering the crash site with patriotic Soviet pennants. It would be another decade before any human set foot on the moon.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:14 AM
Master Modeler

What REALLY HAPPENED Behind the Scenes of the Chinese Spy Balloon Incident
5 Jun 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLcQEsuvvEU
Old 06-30-2023, 12:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Shoot 'em downnnnn.
Blow 'em uppppp.
No more stinkin' chinese bulloonz in our airspace.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !