Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2023, 09:44 AM
Sometimes collector

Default Semroc Boid scans

I am going to need kit pictures and a scan or photos of the North Carolina Boid instuctuons. The Boid had two versions I think - a slotted and unslotted version. Beware Randy at erockets produced this kit in Ohio with fiber fins and tabbed slot, I have one so I don’t need that one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:52 PM
Master Modeler

The My Boid was my very first kit order from Semroc when I became a BAR — I had never heard of the company before. Needless to say, I came back.

For some reason - probably because I chose greyscale as input, I had to post this in three parts.

As with the Astron, the inside, which is on an 8x14 sheet, is scanned twice, with opposite ends sticking out of the scanner. Someone with more .pdf skills than I can perhaps turn those two images into one.

My spreadsheet suggests I have one unopened NC My Boid. I've also built and flown the mini-engine, slotted tube, cardstock finned version that eRockets now sells. Probably a little better chance at getting that one back as you can't over-power it like the original. A small ST-8-based model on a C can go some distance....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MyBoid-part-one.pdf (1.45 MB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf MyBoid-part-two.pdf (1.13 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf MyBoid-part-three.pdf (1.07 MB, 8 views)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-24-2023, 03:25 PM
Sometimes collector

Thank you! What’s the highest you have flown one?
Old 02-24-2023, 03:45 PM
Sometimes collector

Still looking for bagged kit pictures and any scans of the later but still North Carolina slotted tube version. Appreciate any help you can give.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:11 PM
Master Modeler

You know, I don’t know. It’s been a long time since I’ve flown it. And it’s down deep enough in the built-models storage that I don’t really want to dig it out to see if there are even static ports in it for an altimeter.

Here are kit pics of the one I had it the stash. I had to shrink the front side one down even though at my end it reported being less than 2 MB.

Are you sure there were slotted-tube ones from North Carolina? If so that would have had to be a relatively recent change, as part of the point of the My Boid was that you didn’t know which nose cone or which fins you’d get, and I can’t imagine Carl would have made up a bunch of tabbed variations of fin sets just for My Boid kits.

Now when Randy redid it for a 13mm motor mount and the fiber fins, adding the slots made some sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  6073F7C0-DD58-486E-85A8-82B92B9C4F67.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  1.69 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  112E6330-F62E-4419-9764-95FB16DD948C.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  262.3 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-17-2023, 11:14 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
You know, I don’t know. It’s been a long time since I’ve flown it. And it’s down deep enough in the built-models storage that I don’t really want to dig it out to see if there are even static ports in it for an altimeter.

Here are kit pics of the one I had it the stash. I had to shrink the front side one down even though at my end it reported being less than 2 MB.

Are you sure there were slotted-tube ones from North Carolina? If so that would have had to be a relatively recent change, as part of the point of the My Boid was that you didn’t know which nose cone or which fins you’d get, and I can’t imagine Carl would have made up a bunch of tabbed variations of fin sets just for My Boid kits.

Now when Randy redid it for a 13mm motor mount and the fiber fins, adding the slots made some sense.

In case someone stumbles on this thread, there are pictures of a North Carolina Boid with fin slots here from 2011: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KA-6.

I agree it would have been a big effort to add the tabs to the laser cutting files! It is so far not known when the change was made between 2005 and 2011.