Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2023, 06:59 PM
Sometimes collector

Default Estes Maxi-Brute History

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Here's a list of Maxi Brute kits researched some years ago that might be a good starting point for some research:

1267 V-2 1974
1268 Pershing 1-A 1974
1269 Honest John 1975
1229 Saturn 1B 1975 (rebranding)
1236 Saturn V 1975 (rebranding)
1291 Maxi Alpha 1977
1302 X-Wing Fighter 1978
1320 Colossus 1979
1321 Maxi Alpha III 1979

Two kits contain the word “Maxi” in their names, but were never marketed as part of the Maxi Brute line:

1331 Maxi Icarus
1387 Maxi Streak

I thought I would split this thread off from the mini brute thread, and I agree completely with your upper list of 9 kits. The caveat is that the MA III is not identified as a Maxi-Brute, but right next to it on the catalog page in 1979, the Colossus is identified as the newest addition to the Maxi-Brute line. The MA III has no Maxi-Brute mention even though it is the same size as the Maxi-Alpha, and shares parts with the Colossus, next to it on the page.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

If the Maxi Alpha gets in the club, the MA3 should by default.

Either way, what a great marketing name(Maxi Brute).. those of us who were kids when these came out were enamored by them, and unable to partake, unless the allowance allowed.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:47 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
If the Maxi Alpha gets in the club, the MA3 should by default.

The MA3 is already in the preceding list.

The Maxi Brute as a brand disappeared from the Estes catalog in 1980. The remaining original Maxi-Brutes lasted through 1985.

The Saturn V, Saturn 1B, V-2, Honest John, and Maxi Alpha III were reissued later, several times even, but I the Saturn "reissues" weren't like the K-36 and K-29 originals. Maybe the Honest John and V-2 were reissues of the originals, maybe the Maxi Alpha III, but the others weren't. No reissue was called a Maxi-Brute. It's arguable.

I have an Honest John and a V-2 to build, and I'm cloning a Maxi Alpha in RipSNOARtin' configuration.

I'm adding the ending year and other edits to Jim's list.

1267 V-2 1974-1981
1268 Pershing 1-A 1974-1983
1269 Honest John 1975-1983
K-29 1229 Saturn 1B 1975-1985 (rebranding, same kit back to 1967)
K-36 1236 Saturn V 1975 (rebranding, same kit back to 1969)
1291 Maxi Alpha 1977-1980
1302 Maxi X-Wing Fighter 1978-1980
1320 Colossus 1979-1983
1321 Maxi Alpha III 1979-1985
MAXI-BRUTE NAME DISAPPEARS FROM CALALOG IN 1980 ...only the V-2, Pershing 1-A, and Colossus retain the name in their descriptions.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-21-2023, 08:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Maybe the Honest John and V-2 were reissues of the originals

Can confirm that the Honest John and V-2 reissues were much like the originals, having built both. The V-2 repops definitely had longer engine hooks to accommodate the longer E-9 motors, but as far as I recall the HoJo reissues had the standard D12 length hooks.

The nose and tail cones for the V-2 were a LOT heavier than the '70s versions, but I doubt that was intentional.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:02 PM
The Alpha Kid

I was eleven when I bought my Maxi Alpha and enamored was exactly how I felt.
Hanging prominently on the pegboard display it dwarfed the lesser models around it.
In a neighborhood full of Mini-Brutes and BT-50 kits I knew that ownership would make me the envy of the gang.
The packaging text declaring it to be "Nearly 3 feet tall!" sealed the deal.
Price? A hefty ten dollars in an era when most kits were three bucks or less.
I spent my savings and took it home on the handlebars of my bike. A fifteen block ride from downtown.

My class at school was doing a rocketry project that year so I brought it along to the launch.
Most kids were flying A engines and our instructor had tilted the launch rod significantly.
Probably to keep recovery chases away from the launch pad area.
I explained that the mighty D engine required the rod to be vertical on a little league field.
He disagreed and made me launch off that tilted rod.
I lost the rocket on it's maiden flight. It was last seen heading west towards the gas works.

That evening at dinner I had to explain what had happened at school.
Still smarting from the loss, I then had to endure a lecture from my father on the value of money.
The whole experience left an indelible mark on my formative years.

I discovered the Semroc website in 2010 and ordered all the parts to clone my lost MA.
I built it and made my Dad come along for the first flight. I never told him the nose alone cost $25.
He passed unexpectedly after that and the rocket was soon lost in a spectacular CATO.
My new 29mm version sports a miniature $10 bill on one fin and the text "Hi Dad" on the other.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:22 PM
Lost his Drifter

That's a good story Erik. I had jacka%& teachers in high school too. You can buy the original nose cone off of the Estes store now.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-22-2023, 09:51 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The K-29/1229 Saturn 1B did NOT last until 1985.
It last appeared in the 1977 catalog. Some may have been found on hobby shop shelves until 1980ish.

The ONLY "reissue" of the Estes K-29 Saturn 1B is the 90% close Semroc version.
I guess one could count the Kosrox version, but that one was produced in much lesser quantities.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Craftsman

If I remember correctly, the artwork on the side of the box on the Re-release of the Honest John showed the other Max-Brutes like the original ox but some text was added to the effect that not all of those rockets were actually available at this time.

I think the V-2 Re-release box was totally different.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Great story Erik.
Unfortunately teachers are just people like everyone else, bound to make mistakes.

Nice to know others have fond memories of these machines.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:50 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
I was eleven when I bought my Maxi Alpha and enamored was exactly how I felt.
Hanging prominently on the pegboard display it dwarfed the lesser models around it.
In a neighborhood full of Mini-Brutes and BT-50 kits I knew that ownership would make me the envy of the gang.
The packaging text declaring it to be "Nearly 3 feet tall!" sealed the deal.
Price? A hefty ten dollars in an era when most kits were three bucks or less.
I spent my savings and took it home on the handlebars of my bike. A fifteen block ride from downtown.

My class at school was doing a rocketry project that year so I brought it along to the launch.
Most kids were flying A engines and our instructor had tilted the launch rod significantly.
Probably to keep recovery chases away from the launch pad area.
I explained that the mighty D engine required the rod to be vertical on a little league field.
He disagreed and made me launch off that tilted rod.
I lost the rocket on it's maiden flight. It was last seen heading west towards the gas works.

That evening at dinner I had to explain what had happened at school.
Still smarting from the loss, I then had to endure a lecture from my father on the value of money.
The whole experience left an indelible mark on my formative years.

I discovered the Semroc website in 2010 and ordered all the parts to clone my lost MA.
I built it and made my Dad come along for the first flight. I never told him the nose alone cost $25.
He passed unexpectedly after that and the rocket was soon lost in a spectacular CATO.
My new 29mm version sports a miniature $10 bill on one fin and the text "Hi Dad" on the other.

Sorry that happened to u you. I had one in my demonstration box. Flew it all the time and always got it back. You would have been golden had I been your teacher. My students rarely lost a rocket.