Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
No harm done, then. I haven't said anything to anyone else and won't.

If you mentioned it to the club, your words would probably freeze and fall to the ground up there in Alaska/Siberia anyway.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Default No Joy

I could not get into the survey even though I had logged in with the SAM site. I think it is this old computer, so I will try later on my wife's computer. It is great to be asked for input.

Carl, what is your thinking about starting with motors that are offered by E and Q to establish your products as opposed to offering motors people really want? I fully realize that motors designed for competition are a very limited market.

Chas
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I could not get into the survey even though I had logged in with the SAM site. I think it is this old computer, so I will try later on my wife's computer. It is great to be asked for input.

Carl, what is your thinking about starting with motors that are offered by E and Q to establish your products as opposed to offering motors people really want? I fully realize that motors designed for competition are a very limited market.

Chas

I was able to go to it by logging in to the SEMROC website, making sure it showed the "Welcome Back Tim - SAM member # 0069" under the top banner. I kept that tab open and went to the survey site in a second tab. I'm running Firefox on Linux. Most of my security settings are at low to mid level.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Thanks tbzep. I did have my SAM number showing, but after I clicked on the SAM explaination on the right side, then I was able to get in and take the survey.

Chas
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

Chas

We will have to. When you have 100 kits that take a particular mix of engines, it would be a shame to not be able to provide engines for your own kits. They will be different becaue the C5 will really be a C5 with a 22 N peak for many kits we cannot do. The B8 will also be in the same 18x70HB family. The B14 and 3/4C19 will really allow 3 stage and heavier 2 stage 18mm models.

The Retro Mabel I family is one that will work with many of the oldest kits, since they are the engines that they were designed around. They do not match up with current NAR/FAI impulse ranges so they will not be useful for contests. I have them in the queue just for fun. They had a softer/longer burn than the later Mabel II types. I personally want to fly a few of them again.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Carl, do you plan to post a (reasonably-close) RSE file soon for any of these? I'm not as familiar with the performance of the older engines as some of these guys, so I'm working blind trying to interpret how any given engine is going to respond.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We will have to. When you have 100 kits that take a particular mix of engines, it would be a shame to not be able to provide engines for your own kits. They will be different becaue the C5 will really be a C5 with a 22 N peak for many kits we cannot do. The B8 will also be in the same 18x70HB family. The B14 and 3/4C19 will really allow 3 stage and heavier 2 stage 18mm models.

The Retro Mabel I family is one that will work with many of the oldest kits, since they are the engines that they were designed around. They do not match up with current NAR/FAI impulse ranges so they will not be useful for contests. I have them in the queue just for fun. They had a softer/longer burn than the later Mabel II types. I personally want to fly a few of them again.
The pre-metric A3-1 would be good for the AMROCS Hawk and Estes Falcon boost-gliders, and the Estes/Centuri Series III "Shorty" motors would be perfect for the Centuri Lil' Herc and the Estes Sprite.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

After playing with the RockSim engine editor, and seeing the 'tiny script' under the engine name on the page, I know the B5-4 is going to be at least one engine on my purchase list. This one gives me excellent Dv numbers for the "Night S.H.A.D.O.W." design I'm starting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Night SHADO 3D [2].jpg
Views: 21
Size:  40.1 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM
BAR

Very cool survey, though a bit overwhelming. While I'd like to use a number of different motors not currently available, there is overlap. I like to fly small multi stagers, and can adapt depending what is available. I like shorties to fly the old designs, but am perfectly ok with mini motors I can friction fit in 18mm casings to create my own shorties. So, while I entered small quantities for a number of such motors, if, for example, the only 1/2A booster is a 13mm, I'd purchase more of these, since I can make shorties. I'd really like some form of 18mm 1/2A6-4 - if it isn't a shorty, I can cut them down. I guess what I'm trying to say is, given fewer choices, the quantities would go up.

Flew a vintage A5-2S in a Sprite clone made from Semroc parts just yesterday!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Flew a vintage A5-2S in a Sprite clone made from Semroc parts just yesterday!

I must have missed shorty As altogether. I only remember 1/4 and 1/2As. A5-xS motors were ones I also "voted" for in the survey.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE