Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2020, 06:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalinaty
I still haven’t been able to find any Q-Jets in Canada. Any word on when they might be available?

Only the B's will be available. The rest will be banned ( in the US after January) because the C's and D's are used to spell CoviD.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Manufacturer

Our Canadian distributor is still working on getting approval. For some reason it has been much more difficult lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalinaty
I still haven’t been able to find any Q-Jets in Canada. Any word on when they might be available?

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 11-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Manufacturer

Rocketry Forum post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Mine work well, even ones with pyrogen off the tip. I have had only one broken bridge wire and also only one misfire so far, 54 flights. The first bulk pack had some mashed ends And missing pyrogen, and the rest have been much better. After the first bulk pack, the igniters were folded in the wadding and were fairly well protected.

2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech

....and that certainly looks like a good thing to try to get the initiators in bulk packs (and those sold separately in those little boxes) to end users in good condtion. Thanks for continuing to try to solve this nagging little issue.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Sometimes collector

Wow that's really great! Like I said mine work well 99% of the time. Although I didn't expect the ones with the pyrogen off the bridgewire to work, it was a nice surprise when they did.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 AM
Manufacturer

How does that compare to the reliability of black powder initiators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Wow that's really great! Like I said mine work well 99% of the time. Although I didn't expect the ones with the pyrogen off the bridgewire to work, it was a nice surprise when they did.

2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:53 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech
How does that compare to the reliability of black powder initiators?

There are two (Modern) universes of Estes initiators, the older pyrogen tipped ones and the more recent non pyrogen. I estimate my pyrogen imitators were successful more than 95% of the time, the misfires were caused by mainly breaking the bridge wire putting in the nozzle plug or the leads getting twisted putting on the clips, and a very small percentage where there was clay in the nozzle. I haven’t used many of the newer initiators (because I want to use oldest first), but there are many reports of users having misfires with the non pyrogen version, so much so that Estes wil be releasing a new pyrogen version.

However, keep in mind that Estes includes extra initiators with motor three packs, so having a single misfire is less critical.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Master Modeler

I concur with 5x7 on all (albeit with a better success rate on Estes igniters/starters old and new). I personally haven’t had as many issues with the current Estes “starters” as many report. Installation with them, however, is critical. That said, clay in the motor nozzle will defeat even a nicely-energetic older igniter that is properly installed. I would think this situation really couldn’t even occur the way Q-Jets are made.

But his last point - that spares are supplied by Estes - is important. Two-packs (24mm motors) and four-packs (13mm motors) only come with one per motor, but three packs (18mm motors) and bulk boxes come with extras, so over time one builds up a supply of spares and that makes a particular failure less of an issue. And it’s why I found FirstFire Micros sold separately I bought for spares that arrived broken or otherwise damaged particularly irritating, especially since they’re over $1 a piece even when sold at a steep discount.

Also, because of the fragility of the FirstFire Micro and the fairly large gap between the nozzle and the slot in the grain where it needs to go on B and especially A impulse motors, inexperienced people are going to have a rather higher failure rate than I’ve had myself (two in all the Q-Jets I have flown so far, so probably less than 1% failure). If you stick the initiator in the nozzle and it’s not nice and straight (not well straightened from the bent-in-half state as they are provided in the two packs) and you know to aim for the center and have a bit of an idea what to feel for/what correct installation looks like, it seems to me that initiators fired below the propellant grain or against the bottom if it will be relatively common if, say, a Cub Scout pack is using a bulk box of A3-4FJs rather than Estes A8-3s in their Wizards or Vikings or Alphas or Generic E2Xs. I am not sure what you can do about that, really, though other than hope that the leaders and/or the clubs providing launch services know how to do it right and can teach the kids.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

I've had more failures with the new Estes starters, although the difference isn't dramatic. - maybe going from ~99% reliable to ~95% reliability. However it's enough that I make a point of using the old style when doing BP clusters.

I sure wish someone would start producing the Q2G2 starters again though. I didn't use them all the time, but for things like air-starts of BP motors (especially air-start clusters) they were fantastic.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:19 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Since I use to do about 4 school launches a year, about 130 flights each, I can say that when you press the fire button with the new Estes igniter, keep it pressed until the rocket leaves the pad. That really improves firing. You will mount up the misfires with any quick press and release action of the fire button, and that was off car batteries

I like the old better to!
=======================