Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
I had seen mold on a few open kits recently, but this one makes me ill...
I guess I'll open it up and see if I can kill it enough to make it buildable...

😭😭😭

Stan

Hi Stan,
It's been almost 20 years now, but we had an encounter on R.M.R. that I thought bore mentioning here. I'd bought a Wizard at our local toy store/hobby shop and was greatly disappointed in the new look. I thought the original purple and white scheme was simple and classic and wanted to replicate it on my new bird, but the decals were nowhere to be found. I mentioned it on R.M.R. and Stan offered me a set of decals. A few days later I had them and quickly finished a touchstone to 1978. It blew me away that someone would send something like that to a person they'd never met and I've tried to help out in the same way whenever I'd get an opportunity. Good to see you back. The hobby needs more guys like you.
Can you take a better pic of the piece you need. I have an open kit downstairs and have already built my saucer. If the part you need is included in my partial kit, send me your address and I'll return the favor. Happily, I might add.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-26-2020, 12:33 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Once again, Bill demonstrates he is truly one of the many "good guys" this hobby is loaded with.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Once again, Bill demonstrates he is truly one of the many "good guys" this hobby is loaded with.

Stan started it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Apollo Nut

And if Bill does not have the part, I scanned all sections of this kit (with ruler) when I built mine about 6 years ago. I'd be happy to post scans to any part needed.

I know much of this kit is 'embossed' paper, which would be a bit difficult to fully clone. But, if a part scan will help, let me know.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

I built one back in the day and spray painted it silver. I still have it and it has held up well. Looks cool too.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:29 PM
Craftsman

Guys,

I appreciate the help. Some of you are more helpful than others.... tbzep, I'm looking at you :-)..

Wolf,

The problem is that I lost a lot of value in a kit that I didn't really intend to build. Of course, I've already opened a different Centuri Flying Saucer kit. So now I have two opened Flying Saucer kits.

I will be able to salvage the kit and build it. The decals are toast. The outer shroud is fine. The inner cylinder parts have some damage that I'm going to be forced to live with. Either that, or find someone to print me the embossing plates... The library where I'm able to print for cheap (price of the plastic) is still closed..

It has definitely been wet. I can't be sure if this kit got wet in my possession or not. I have had water in my basement in the past. In Colorado, we used to get about a week of -30 every winter. I've had a couple of frozen hose bibs that have caused lots of trouble for me.

I have two 1/100 Saturn 1B's where the boxes have been wet. I was forced to open them and dry them out. Fortunately, they have all of their parts bagged inside the box. So the kits are fine, but I still lost a lot of value in the process.

FWIW, bleach is NOT the way to go. Apparently, vinegar is. That's what I've used so far to treat the parts. That, and UV light. I'm going to see what I can fit inside my EPROM eraser for starters and we'll see where we are after that.

Does anybody have a spare set of decals?

Stan

Last edited by shuyge : 07-27-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

I do what I can.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Hi Stan,
It's been almost 20 years now, but we had an encounter on R.M.R. that I thought bore mentioning here. I'd bought a Wizard at our local toy store/hobby shop and was greatly disappointed in the new look. I thought the original purple and white scheme was simple and classic and wanted to replicate it on my new bird, but the decals were nowhere to be found. I mentioned it on R.M.R. and Stan offered me a set of decals. A few days later I had them and quickly finished a touchstone to 1978. It blew me away that someone would send something like that to a person they'd never met and I've tried to help out in the same way whenever I'd get an opportunity. Good to see you back. The hobby needs more guys like you.
Can you take a better pic of the piece you need. I have an open kit downstairs and have already built my saucer. If the part you need is included in my partial kit, send me your address and I'll return the favor. Happily, I might add.

Bill,

I find it interesting how sometimes a small gesture can make a big difference. I'm glad that you enjoyed the decals.

Stan
Old 07-27-2020, 08:48 PM
Craftsman

Color Choices...

Silver
White
Fluorescent Orange
Fluorescent Yellow

Any other ideas guys?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
Color Choices...

Silver
White
Fluorescent Orange
Fluorescent Yellow

Any other ideas guys?

If you're a purist, do it like the catalog (white).
If you are into 50's and 60's sci-fi B movies, maybe silver.
If you're a rogue, maybe rouge.

I'm not keen on fluorescent colors. You should never have trouble tracking and finding it, and those colors remind me of plastic toys on anything but high altitude models or scale sounding rockets.

BTW, you can probably find some glow-in-the-dark sheets to replace the window and emblem decals. IIRC, they glowed.