Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Master Modeler

Default Russian Sa-5

It's been a while since I have posted anything scale in nature so I thought I share my latest scale build for NARAM 60. I originally wanted the four strap on boosters to come off once the motors were spent, thus allowing the center portion to continue on its way. Now I know it can be done but I decided to go the safe route and hopefully get a qualified flight and leave the boosters connected for the entire flight. It’s taken me weeks to get these parts grown making MANY changes along the way. Even now I am 3D printing a new nose cone and tail cone since they are a little off. If you look close the fins have steps in them which will need to be primed and filled in to make them look nice. I figured I'll have a good 20+ hours of just finishing work to all these plastic parts before they are nice and smooth.

The four Main Large fins will be built out of a thin plywood center core with balsa sheets on either side, that will be tapered to the correct shape. I will assembling and shaping these wood parts most likely over the weekend. If all goes well NONE of the 12 fins on this model will be glued in place along their root cord. They will instead be bolted in place similar to the real one so there will actually be a gap between the root edge of the fins and their mating surface.

The center body on this model is 2.7" in diameter. The boosters are 1.56" in diameter. Overall length is 38.8". The four booster pods are set up for 18mm motors. I plane on using Estes C6-0 motors in them. For the Center core I’ll looking using an Estes 29mm F15-4 motor. If the model ends up on the heavy side I'll switch out the center motor with a F26 motor. The model doesn't have to go high for the competition, I just need to get all five motors lite and recover the model safely.

Here is a link to a nice video of the SA-5 on the launcher and being launched.

https://youtu.be/NKFqGHlgcI8

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 Cad View.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  75.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 PARTS.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  464.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 PARTS 2.jpg
Views: 63