Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Craftsman

Default OOP Estes PNC-55D P/N 071038

I have attached a 3D printer .stl file I made for the out of production Estes PNC-55D nose cone (part number 071038). This nose cone was only used in three kits, but I think they all are clone worthy.

Kit number Kit Name Kit Plans/Instructions

1901 Sea Dart https://www.oldrocketplans.com/este...901/est1901.htm
1930 WASP https://www.oldrocketplans.com/este...930/est1930.htm
2015 Strike Fighter http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2015.htm
Attached Files
File Type: stl OOP Estes PNC-55D.stl (1.94 MB, 43 views)
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Thanks Bruce.

I don’t have a 3D printer, but every time you, or anyone, posts a file here, I think I’m getting closer.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 PM
Master Modeler

I second Lee’s comment.....!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Bruce,

I have a 3D printer and I really appreciate your work because I have no idea how to draw these things. I appreciate all, you guy that has drawn so many 3D parts and posted them here.

Please don't stop.
Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:56 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Thanks, Bruce,

I have a 3D printer and I really appreciate your work because I have no idea how to draw these things. I appreciate all, you guy that has drawn so many 3D parts and posted them here.

Please don't stop.
Thanks again.

The reason I got into 3D printing is that I could get a high quality 3D printer (Creality Ender 3) for less than $200 and the cost of the printer filament was around $15 per Kg (I could print around 50 PNC-55D's with that). This is very comparable to the cost for the inkjet printer that I use to make decals, since decal paper is now about $2 per sheet.

I also am no expert at drawing 3D structures, but I found an easy work around using RockSim software; https://www.apogeerockets.com/educa...wsletter476.pdf
The .stl file I posted for the PNC-55D was created using RockSim. I will post several simualtions I made for the model rockets that use the PNC-55D.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
I have attached a 3D printer .stl file I made for the out of production Estes PNC-55D nose cone (part number 071038). This nose cone was only used in three kits, but I think they all are clone worthy.

Kit number Kit Name Kit Plans/Instructions

1901 Sea Dart https://www.oldrocketplans.com/este...901/est1901.htm
1930 WASP https://www.oldrocketplans.com/este...930/est1930.htm
2015 Strike Fighter http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2015.htm

I just recently cloned a Wasp, small upscale to BT-60. Really love this nose cone shape...mine is not correct, cut the tip off a smooth ogive plastic cone and added a basswood/wood tip. Looks the part enough I'm happy with it but being able to print a proper one would be neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0042.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  1.35 MB  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Craftsman

I have been working on a BT-55 Clone of the Estes WASP #1930, picture attached. Its ready for paint and decals. I was thinking I might use the printed foil wrap from an A20 Demon kit instead of just a plain foil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Wasp Clone.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  445.1 KB  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Craftsman

Just finished my clone of the Estes WASP, with 3D printed PNC-55D nosecone, home made decals, everything else stock except used 1/16" basswood for fin material, see attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes WASP Clone.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  686.6 KB  
Old 03-19-2020, 11:27 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Very nice, Bruce! You have obviously had some consistently nice weather that lasted long enough to get some paint applied!

I did a little painting yesterday, a mix of spraying primer on this, basecoat of white on that, one rocket got its first coats of color. But crazy weather hasn't let me get too much fully completed.

I really need to listen to weather forecasts. Since it was warm, I also hooked up hose, soaked my trees (really required monthly in Colorado), and by evening the freezing rain started, then turned to sleet, and by morning we had really wet snow starting to build up...

Fortunately, I did disconnect the hoses!

I was looking forward to maybe going to a launch, a way to escape the self-quarantine, hoping it would probably meet “social distancing guidelines”. Our club announced that NAR and Tripoli have asked for all launches to be cancelled.

Wow ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-19-2020, 11:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Very nice, Bruce! You have obviously had some consistently nice weather that lasted long enough to get some paint applied!

I did a little painting yesterday, a mix of spraying primer on this, basecoat of white on that, one rocket got its first coats of color. But crazy weather hasn't let me get too much fully completed.

I really need to listen to weather forecasts. Since it was warm, I also hooked up hose, soaked my trees (really required monthly in Colorado), and by evening the freezing rain started, then turned to sleet, and by morning we had really wet snow starting to build up...

Fortunately, I did disconnect the hoses!

I was looking forward to maybe going to a launch, a way to escape the self-quarantine, hoping it would probably meet “social distancing guidelines”. Our club announced that NAR and Tripoli have asked for all launches to be cancelled.

Wow ...

In the southeast here we've had enough rain the past four months to float many, many battle ships! Actually, I seem to fight humid conditions just about year round as far as painting goes. Then, from about May until late October the heat is so bad you can't do much 'final coat' painting at all. I got a primer coat on one rocket and first paint coat on a the nose cone for the same rocket. First painting I've really been able to do in months.

Warm weather is already starting to roll in big time this week; but maybe there will be some days here and there in April when I can get some more done before the super-hot, super-humid weather of summer bears down on us.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970