Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Here's the Mini Marz Lander after decals, sitting next to my old Semroc Mars Lander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FDA10BFB-4CC5-446A-88D5-68B2171511E9.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.71 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 01-31-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:43 PM
Sometimes collector

Nice!!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:17 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Here's the Mini Marz Lander after decals, sitting next to my old Semroc Mars Lander.

Those look super!! Looking to order my first Semroc kit...either the Mars Lander, or the USS Andromeda. Any insight that could help me decide is welcome.

I am amazed at the number of projects some of you are working on, crazy in a good way. I am currently working on only one...my Orbital Transport which I built as a kid around 40 years ago was broken and I am turning it into an Estes Starlight. Papered the lower fins for strength, trying to do this with only parts on hand and the rings are too big so I will have to cut and glue them to size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0028.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  763.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  1.10 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0027.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  1.15 MB  
Old 01-31-2020, 11:03 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillie
Those look super!! Looking to order my first Semroc kit...either the Mars Lander, or the USS Andromeda. Any insight that could help me decide is welcome.

I am amazed at the number of projects some of you are working on, crazy in a good way. I am currently working on only one...my Orbital Transport which I built as a kid around 40 years ago was broken and I am turning it into an Estes Starlight. Papered the lower fins for strength, trying to do this with only parts on hand and the rings are too big so I will have to cut and glue them to size.

The Semroc Mars Lander is a nice kit. I’d check out jonrocket.com, they have it for $44.00 — the list is $55. And, you get free shipping for orders over $48. You’d be close! I just received an order from them, great place to shop. They even have a rewards program. I’ve been a customer for years.

You’ve got an ambitious project going on! Looking forward to seeing the completed conversion.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-01-2020, 08:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Easy. It's just a two and a half step process:

1a. If you've ever had the classic Estes version of one, choose the other.

1b. If you haven't had either Estes product, choose the Andromeda because it's the newer kit and we've seen a bunch of ML's since its release by Carl. We haven't seen many finished Semroc Andromeda kits yet. I don't recall any posted here to YORF. (yes, I'm being selfish)

2. Buy the other one on your next purchase because you absolutely must have both.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Easy. It's just a two and a half step process:

1a. If you've ever had the classic Estes version of one, choose the other.

1b. If you haven't had either Estes product, choose the Andromeda because it's the newer kit and we've seen a bunch of ML's since its release by Carl. We haven't seen many finished Semroc Andromeda kits yet. I don't recall any posted here to YORF. (yes, I'm being selfish)

2. Buy the other one on your next purchase because you absolutely must have both.

Never had either. Growing up we had one 1969 Estes catalog that I would page thru and dream about the rockets I wish I could have. I still have that catalog today and was looking thru it again. The Starlight is one I liked a lot. The Mars Lander and Mars Snooper were both favorites and the Semroc kits looks awesome. I was going to order the ML, then I saw the Andromeda and got that old 'gotta have it' feeling. I think that's the one for now...
Old 02-01-2020, 09:25 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Never had either. Growing up we had one 1969 Estes catalog that I would page thru and dream about the rockets I wish I could have. I still have that catalog today and was looking thru it again. The Starlight is one I liked a lot. The Mars Lander and Mars Snooper were both favorites and the Semroc kits looks awesome. I was going to order the ML, then I saw the Andromeda and got that old 'gotta have it' feeling. I think that's the one for now...

I just built a Starlight that I got on clearance from eRockets. I didn't care for the stock setup, so I left the bottom ring off. Sacrilege, I know, but I like the way it looks now. Not sure about the paint scheme, but it's a ways down in the paint queue at the moment anyway. Anyway, I think it's still on sale at eRockets.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

IIRC from the manufacturer’s forum at NARAM the Andromeda is one of the kits eRockets made some improvements on - thicker wall tubing, new, laser cut assembly jigs, new decals. All their Semroc kits are nicely done - I built a couple older Semroc kits before the move to eRockets and newer ones and I couldn’t tell the difference.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I just built a Starlight that I got on clearance from eRockets. I didn't care for the stock setup, so I left the bottom ring off. Sacrilege, I know, but I like the way it looks now. Not sure about the paint scheme, but it's a ways down in the paint queue at the moment anyway. Anyway, I think it's still on sale at eRockets.

I like how this is looking now so I see where you are coming from. That said I ordered a piece of BT-70 tubing to make the rings (added a USS Andromeda to the cart too, aha!) Sanding this thing is going to be a pain, very tight spaces to get to. I plan to paint it silver with the see thru blue over it. I imagine the sparkle of silver showing thru the blue, will have to figure it out before I spray it. Maybe a glittery blue paint would just be easier...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0043.PNG
Views: 24
Size:  1.44 MB  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:08 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Astron Starlight is a really unique kit I have always liked but never gotten around to building one.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !