Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2019, 06:15 PM
frustrated aero

When I started planning this build, I wondered what I would do about the RCS thrusters. I wasn't crazy about trying to make the quads after the fun I had with the Saturn 1B clone. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Apogee Apollo capsule comes with them! I'm not a Little Joe II expert, but I think that capsule is way too detailed for a Little Joe model, but I don't have the heart to sand it smooth. I looked at available pictures on the internet, and I'm not sure for this particular round. It says it flew with an actual space capsule, not a boiler plate, but it was probably a Block I capsule and I'm pretty sure this is a Block II since that flew all the manned missions from Apollo 8 and on.

The good news is the tower is to scale and pretty easy to build (especially compared to K-30!!!) The bad news is the tower is to scale...those struts aren't beefed up for flight like the 1/100th scale models. The Apogee video mentions not gluing the tower to the capsule so it can be removed for flight, so I may do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P9141779MR.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  321.0 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here