Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Default Estes Photon Disruptor #3025

Here are pictures of the new reissue Photon Disruptor from Estes I bought from my local hobby shop yesterday. It is a nice kit with quality parts. Unfortunately mine is marred by a wadded up decal sheet. I noticed as I was opening the kit that the parts bag containing the decal was wadded up at the top of the bag. The kit bag itself was in perfect condition. It could have been from shipping and handling, but it really looked like to me it was from the way it was packaged. Rather than slipping it past the main body tube it was forced in up against it. The rest of the parts we undamaged. I'm sure I can use the decals if I have to, but I decided to contact Estes Customer Service about it first to see what they say, so I sent them a query through their website this morning. I'm in no hurry for the decals, it's too cold to paint anyway. So other than the decal, it looks like a good kit and I can't wait to build it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PhtonDisruptor1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  173.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PhtonDisruptor2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  130.9 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Sometimes collector

One of my favorites, that is neat that they laser marked the center of the outboard fins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
Here are pictures of the new reissue Photon Disruptor from Estes I bought from my local hobby shop yesterday. It is a nice kit with quality parts. Unfortunately mine is marred by a wadded up decal sheet. I noticed as I was opening the kit that the parts bag containing the decal was wadded up at the top of the bag. The kit bag itself was in perfect condition. It could have been from shipping and handling, but it really looked like to me it was from the way it was packaged. Rather than slipping it past the main body tube it was forced in up against it. The rest of the parts we undamaged. I'm sure I can use the decals if I have to, but I decided to contact Estes Customer Service about it first to see what they say, so I sent them a query through their website this morning. I'm in no hurry for the decals, it's too cold to paint anyway. So other than the decal, it looks like a good kit and I can't wait to build it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
One of my favorites, that is neat that they laser marked the center of the outboard fins!

I have the fins assembled, the marks did make it easy.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
rosko_racer

I have been waiting for this one since it was announced. I just bought one and started with the lower assembly. Great kit with great quality parts, specially the fin stock: very dense and strong balsa. Noticed that the decals have a few "satin looking" areas on the black areas so I plan to recoat the decals with MICROFILM.

Estes had issued two versions of this rocket:
Photon Disruptor with what looks like a BT-50
Photon Disruptor II with a BT-55

The reissue is a reincarnation of the Photon Disruptor II with the name of the smaller brother.

Covered the NC with two coats of CA and lightly sanded it. Tied a Kevlar shock cord between the two centering rings at the top of the MM assembly: this should extend the life of the kevlar by being far from the engine.

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 03-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Doh! It's too late for me, when it comes to attaching the Dorsal fins be careful, the instructions have an error. I read through the directions before building, but didn't catch it until I was looking at the face card and my build side by side.

The built rocket on the face card and parts list show the largest Dorsal fins being mounted at the aft end with the smaller Dorsal fins at the mid ship transition, I believe this is correct. In the parts list on page 1 the larger is J and the smaller is K. Under fin preparation on page 2 it has them switched with the larger labeled K and the smaller J. Page 2 is visible to you when you are on page 3 where you are instructed to glue them on, I referred to page 2 to identify parts J and K when gluing them on and now they are swapped. It still looks fine, but I believe it's wrong.

I've attached a picture of the illustration on page 2 that has them mislabeled. Hope this is clear to anyone building this rocket.

Edit: Since you have one, can you double check me on this rosko_racer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PhtonDisruptorError.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  54.7 KB  

I am SAM # 0167
Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
rosko_racer

Default Error on ESTES Photon Distruptor's Instructions

timorley: You are correct. I noticed that too. I visited JIMZ' website and checked both Photon Disruptor's original instrucitons. The instructions have the larger fins at the aft (rear) and the smaller fins flushed with the upper transition point. I did not follow the instructions on that area and followed the original ones for the placement of the smaller fins.

Changes to mi Photon Disruptor:

- Kevlar ancher tied between centering rings instead of the MM, keeping it away from ejection gases. Kevlar string does not reach out the BT-55.
- Layer of glue inside the lower assemby BT-50 (as far as I could reach) for added protection from ejection gases.
- Substituded the rubber shock cord for a cotton elastic, doble the length of the rocket.
- Thin epoxy fillets along the "H" and "I" (big fins) glue joints to minimize landing mishaps. I used carpenter's wood for the rest of the fillets.

Having fun with building this classic re-issue. I am taking my time finishing the fins on the lower assembly before gluing it to the BT-50 or lower assembly.

Assembling the main fins can be a little tricky because the wet glue may start warping the fins. I had to use a few items that had 90 degree angles and straight edges to keep the fins together and straight until that first layer of glue was completely dry. Make sure you do that before you start with the fillets on these fins, otherwise the fins make come unglued and warp a little. Once you have those fins glued and filleted your way, then you may want to take advantage and apply a layer of "watered down wood filler". When dry then sand to your liking. It is easier to work with those fins while they are not on the BT-50.

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Thanks for double checking me.

I did the same first 3 things in your list as well. I have to agree, sealing and preparing the main fins for paint before gluing them on to the BT-50 is a good idea to make it easier. I'm using Elmers carpenter glue and I didn't have any warping trouble with the main fins. I have a high-density block of plastic with right angles I used as a guide to maintain the 90 degree angles while the glue dried.

I completed the construction on mine last night, just have to finish it now, the weather here is starting to get warmer, but still too cold to paint. I'll post some pictures of it later.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Master Modeler

That is a cool looking rocket, glad they brought it back with a balsa cone!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

The odd thing to me is I've had requests for two sets of the decals.

OK, not a problem, it just seems odd.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The odd thing to me is I've had requests for two sets of the decals.

OK, not a problem, it just seems odd.

is that odd in a godo way ( ie" pppl are replacing the Estes decals ) ?

or odd in a bad way ( ie: noone has clonded this before now ) ?

I have an original Photon Disruptor, and a 2, but have a ebay junklot Disruptor 2 I might have to restore, so maybe can add that total to 3