Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bernard, I never knew about the Scotch Multi-Task Tape. I’m not sure I’ve seen it in stores, I guess most places just stock the Transparent in the green packaging. But Amazon has it. I’ll have to get some.

I’m a woodworker and I’ve used the Titebond Molding and Trim Glue for years for ... you guessed it, molding and trim.
Great stuff. Best I’ve ever used for fillets. Titebond likes to change names on glues so I’ll have to see what they call it next time I need to order more.

I think the current name is “Thick and Quick” or some such. Just lay it in the joint, dip a fingertip into some water, smooth/shape the fillet with your fingertip, wipe the excess glue off your finger with a paper towel, and repeat. Very easy and it results in nice looking fillets.

Multi-Task tape has been my go-to for something that is more robust than regular Scotch tape for many years. It makes GREAT RC airplane tape hinges for park flyers and such that seem to last forever. I have a Mountain Models Switchback with Multi-task tape hinges that must be over 15 years old now and they’re just fine.

And yes, it’s been getting harder to find in places like Target than it used to be...so I may have to resort to ordering it from the Amazon monster next time I need to restock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd put a 29mm mount in it like the old Enerjet EggCrate.

Gee, GH, what took you so long?

First one stock. If I really like flying it high, I’ll consider another with a longer 24mm mount or a 29. I can fly it as is on up to the 24/40 E28 or F39 and for where I can readily fly that will likely be more than enough.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-22-2019, 05:06 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I just like the 29mm as it gives more options.
There are several 29mm choices lower in total impulse than the 24mm F24W.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Another odd thing about this - the shoulders on the nose cone and the payload side of the payload adapter are about 0.016 inch smaller in diameter than the body side of the payload adapter. This meant that I needed five and a half turns of Scotch Multi-Task tape on the nose cone and payload shoulders to get a nice firm friction fit as befits carrying an egg (and altimeter, in my case). The instructions have you do this for both ends of the payload section.

It's a very necessary step, I agree. But I recommend not relying on friction fit alone to hold your payload together. You might get away with friction fit alone, but eventually the payload contents will get dumped. A single wrap of whatever tape you like to use on the exterior overlapping where the payload compartment and nose cone/transition meet is all it takes. I'm currently using aluminized mylar tape, but I have used electrical tape (comes in nice colors and is easy to remove).
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Master Modeler

Yes, of course.

If you look at the assembled image you can see that there’s only a 1/8 inch wide band at the base of the payload section to attach lower tape to on the outside without interfering with the payload-to-body joint.

Normally I would glue the joint at the base of the payload section and I may yet flow some thin CA in there for a little “insurance” hopefully without clouding that nice translucent green tube much. I thought about using Formula 560 to glue the tube to adapter joint but the loose fit prior to the tape application made that problematical.

For the top - I always put on some tape “insurance” over the nose cone/payload tube joint whenever flying anything in a payload section, even if it’s a 3g altimeter, and even if the nose cone fit is really snug. I will certainly be doing so with an egg. Generally it’s some Multi-Task tape. I have a roll of that Mylar tape in my field box as well.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

First the obligatory package and parts laid out pictures. As you can see, one of the interesting features is the 5-inch-long green translucent payload section tube.

Thanks for starting this thread Bernard. Looks like a re-imagined K-37 Scrambler to my overly nostalgic eye. All Hail the Chief Designer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR

I’m a woodworker and I’ve used the Titebond Molding and Trim Glue for years for ... you guessed it, molding and trim.
Great stuff. Best I’ve ever used for fillets. Titebond likes to change names on glues so I’ll have to see what they call it next time I need to order more.

Looks like we now have two choices to rate and debate:

No Run, No Drip

Quick&Thick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  titebond_NoRunNoDrip.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  25.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  titebond_QuickThick.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  47.5 KB  
Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
If you look at the assembled image you can see that there’s only a 1/8 inch wide band at the base of the payload section to attach lower tape to on the outside without interfering with the payload-to-body joint.

That's a pretty slim margin. I'll be tempted to glue it down, but how to do it without screwing up that groovy translucent green?

I just ordered the kit from eRockets. Thanks for posting this. I love egglofters and I'm glad I didn't have to buy a case of these just to get one.
-W
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
That's a pretty slim margin. I'll be tempted to glue it down, but how to do it without screwing up that groovy translucent green?

I just ordered the kit from eRockets. Thanks for posting this. I love egglofters and I'm glad I didn't have to buy a case of these just to get one.
-W

I paint a stripe on the outside “glue zone” of clear tubes to match the color of what it’s attached to - looks better, to me anyway, than the dried adhesive through the clear tube look.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
Thanks for starting this thread Bernard. Looks like a re-imagined K-37 Scrambler to my overly nostalgic eye. All Hail the Chief Designer !!

That was my immediate thought as well. It has similar fin shape and proportions....but is simpler with a single 24mm mount instead of the cluster of 3 18mms, and the constant-diameter body rather than the short BT-60 to BT-65 transition. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf

While I was at Hobby Lobby looking for a Vapor and/or Olympus (neither in stock yet) I got to thinking - I have some Beacon Foam-Tac which works nicely to glue plastic parts with a kind of semi-flexible joint. Maybe I'll pull a small portion of the Multi-Task tape wrap off and use the Foam-Tac to encourage the payload tube to stay on the payload adapter. It's pretty snug as I have it, so just a little adhesive would solve this conundrum, I think. And it won't fog the plastic like CA would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
I paint a stripe on the outside “glue zone” of clear tubes to match the color of what it’s attached to - looks better, to me anyway, than the dried adhesive through the clear tube look.

Of course then I'd have to match the color of the molded parts...
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Master Modeler

I haven’t flown it yet....rainy at the club launch and I didn’t want it landing in a puddle. But here’s what it looks like, built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  765DEAF2-C792-4895-B97A-DFA30A9C6801.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  1.17 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Master Modeler

One other note: I did prep the Green Eggs for the club launch on December 14th. In so doing I learned that a large egg in a ziplock snack bag is a snug fit in the payload tube and so would have blocked the air from the static ports I drilled fairly low on the tube from getting to an altimeter above the egg. I also saw that even though I had a really snug friction fit at the base of the payload section that might not have been enough. So now there is a second set of static ports about 1/2 an inch below the base of the nose cone and I've used some Beacon Foam-Tac to make the lower payload tube-to-payload adapter joint a little more permanent (as I suggested a couple of posts back).

Maybe it will fly at the scheduled January 12th WAC launch at Sixty Acres. We'll see if the weather will allow that....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE