Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Earl,

If you have any photos, or a copy of the video you can dig up, I'd love to see them. I had no idea about that project. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Gus-

All my video 'elements' from back in the day are basically packed away and hard to get to at this time.

However, if you go to Chuck Rogers website (frame grabs below) and click on the left side, bottom menu option (as marked in the second frame grab), it will take you to Chuck's technical analysis of that flight. A few of the photos you see on that frame grab are, as I recall, some of my photos of the event I sent to Chuck. The High Power Rocketry issue that covered this project featured a cover photo by me as I recall.

Chuck's website address: http://rasaero.com

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 4.52.34 PM.png
Views: 64
Size:  23.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 4.51.19 PM.png
Views: 82
Size:  729.7 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Going to miss Jonathan. He was a riot to fly with when he was in HUVARS. definitely kept you on your toes. Fair winds brother
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 PM
BAR

I met Jon at the only NARAM I've ever been to... up just north of Cincinnati a few years back (probably more than a few now that I think about it). We ate at a nearby restaurant with some other rocketeers and he was a riot... and very knowledgeable. I greatly enjoyed meeting him and spending time with him and the other folks there.

I enjoyed his posts here... while they went "against the grain" they never failed to make you think. Sadly that's considered a fault nowdays, because of childish people that cannot accept anybody having an opinion different from their own, and assuming they have some God-given right to not be offended by anything or anyone for any reason EVER... SO, unfortunately, Jon became the only person (that I'm aware of) to ever have been banned from YORF, because he couldn't or wouldn't "conform" or remain silent or censor his own views that salted (okay dominated) his posts...

Anyway, sorry to hear of his passing. He was a great guy. Rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends.

Later! OL J R
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Master Modeler

Jon seemed like a nice guy and I enjoyed his rocketry posts. He occasionally offered items for free to fellow rocketeers. He had some strong political views and was warned over and over this was not the place for them …. but the final straw that got him banned was not that. It was for posting adult images. In my view Scott had no choice.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Sad to hear Jon's passing.

There is NO such thing as "NO choice"...EVER.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
There is NO such thing as "NO choice"...EVER.

Seriously? The forum is an extension of Scott. Whatever shows up here can come back and bite him in the backside on a personal and professional level, even legally. We see it all the time with Facebook posters, but since this is a forum not owned by a millionaire with dozens of lawyers, it could get him too. Scott did what needed to be done.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I just stated there always is a choice.
Scott made the one that he found to be the most logical.
Stating there was some "no" choice makes about as much sense as the cop that says he has "no" choice but to arrest a jaywalker. Simply an untruth.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I met Jon at the only NARAM I've ever been to... up just north of Cincinnati a few years back (probably more than a few now that I think about it). We ate at a nearby restaurant with some other rocketeers and he was a riot... and very knowledgeable. I greatly enjoyed meeting him and spending time with him and the other folks there.

I enjoyed his posts here... while they went "against the grain" they never failed to make you think. Sadly that's considered a fault nowdays, because of childish people that cannot accept anybody having an opinion different from their own, and assuming they have some God-given right to not be offended by anything or anyone for any reason EVER... SO, unfortunately, Jon became the only person (that I'm aware of) to ever have been banned from YORF, because he couldn't or wouldn't "conform" or remain silent or censor his own views that salted (okay dominated) his posts...

Anyway, sorry to hear of his passing. He was a great guy. Rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends.

Later! OL J R
This is odd, as just a few days ago I was thinking about Jonathan, and about asking if perhaps he might be given a second chance here, after so long. As my late friend Gary Moore would say whenever something like this would happen, "All of our names just moved up a notch..."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Master Modeler

God Speed Jonathan, I enjoyed your post's too, even if they wern't conventional to this forum.
I never met Jon but felt a kinship in his thinking. We exchanged a few PM's but lost touch after he got banned from here. I guess he wanted nothing to do with any member of YORF again, including me.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM
7/21/61

Today is the one year anniversary of Jonathan's passing.

Matt Steele's brother, Miles, wrote a very nice article about the love Jonathan experienced in his final days. I thought a number of you might find it interesting.

ROCKET MEN PAY IT FORWARD
By Miles Steele
Having been born in 1966, Jonathan Dunbar’s formative years paralleled those of the U.S. Space program. The young rocketeer developed an interest in rocketry that was first realized flying his models around the fields of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Fast-forward to the late 1980’s and Jonathan could be found in California working to develop a telemetry system for a model rocket to be flown to the edge of space. But this story really begins around 2002 after a move to Phoenix, Arizona put him in a position to meet some men that would play an unforeseen role in his life.
Jonathan was a sport flyer that wanted to step up his game and fly competitively. He found the avenue to pursue that progression while flying at Rainbow Valley just west of Phoenix. It was there that he would cross paths with the Superstition Spacemodeling Society (SSS), a group of experienced competitive contest flyers that had found success as club. The group consisted of Matt Steele, Geoffrey Kerbel, Moe Bertrand and Craig Viscusi. With reticence, Jonathan asked if he could fly with the club and was welcomed to the team with open arms. Matt was somewhat familiar with Jonathan as a North Coast Rocketry customer and had also known him to be an avid collector of rare model rockets and space collectibles. Jonathan started with an aggressive all-out approach to contest flying that did not serve him well and didn’t net the desired results. Jonathan then changed his methods and adapted his skills to become a very good contest flyer, learning along the way that reliability, consistency and good modeling skills were the keys to success.
SSS would typically fly four contests each Spring in the Phoenix area as well as a couple of other meets throughout the year. It was these regular competitions that would bring the men together where bonds were built that went beyond the mechanics of solid rocket motors, balsa wood fins and nose cones. A shared motorhome trip to Pueblo with Geoffrey behind the wheel and Jonathan talking the whole way forged a friendship that was akin to any given episode of The Odd Couple. While Geoffrey and Jonathan became good friends, it didn’t prevent them from competing tenaciously against each other whenever the opportunity arose. During this same time period in the early 2000’s, enter seasoned competitor Chris Flanigan who would fly against SSS and would often steal Jonathan’s thunder. Chris was both a staunch competitor and an honorary member of the SSS familia.
Craig recalled an incident from 2012 that would serve as a catalyst for the friendship between himself and Jonathan. After a launch at Rainbow Valley, Craig suffered an anxiety attack that left him lying on the floor of a convenience store. “Jonathan stayed by my side throughout the incident and even followed the ambulance to the hospital”, recounted Craig. He continued, “I never forgot the kindness showed to me by Jonathan that day.” That day was also the day that Jonathan and Joelyn were introduced to each other when she arrived at the hospital to pick up her husband.
One of the highlights for SSS came in 2006 when SSS hosted the National Championships. At the championship banquet, the core SSS group got to share a table with icon Vern Estes and his wife Gleda. (Craig seemed suitably impressed by the seating arrangement going so far as to say “That changed my life!”) The pinnacle of success for the Superstition Spacemodeling Society was an unprecedented string of (6) consecutive NAR National Championships (think Patriots & Tom Brady). It would take the formation of a Super-Club Dream Team to bring the NAR Championship streak to an end. Jonathan also honed his skills as a craftsman of scale models, culminating in a cover shot for Sport Rocketry magazine with him with his Saturn 1B.
With Steele moving to Salt Lake City in 2009, flying together with SSS became a logistical challenge, but the group +/- a member or two continued to compete together through 2014. The years of 2015 and 2016 found the core group’s focus shifting from the challenges of competitive flying, to flying for the love of the sport and the camaraderie that accompanied the events. Matt’s regular trips to Phoenix for the CFB Fiesta Bowl would allow the group to ring in the new year with rockets in the sky for those last few years.
As a testament to the times that we live in, we can’t escape the reality that any group of us will most likely have to face. The odds are against six men growing older together with only minor aches and pains. Cancer always seems to have a say in the matter and this time Jonathan was its unlucky target in 2014. After the loss of a kidney and the usual regimen of torture treatments that are used to banish the cancer from our being, Jonathan had bought himself some more time and as always, the length was undetermined. The devil returned in 2017 attacking his remaining kidney, affecting Jonathan’s ability to continue working a regular job. Jonathan shifted his focus to working from home. He never let on about the severe pain that the cancer and subsequent treatments were causing, it just wasn’t his style.
The prognosis received in January of 2018 was dire and Jonathan was not expected to see Labor Day. It was at this time that Jonathan realized that he was going to need some assistance. Estranged from his family, the man who had made efforts to isolate himself, reluctantly found comfort that his faithful friends were coming to his aid. With his finances drained from the necessities of medical care, the Superstition Spacemodeling Society experienced a mission creep with an entirely modified objective. Matt, Steve, Chris, Craig and Moe put together a game plan for their teammate and friend. The fact that these men are now scattered around various parts of the country only added to the logistical difficulties of the situation. They all chipped in to keep Jonathan’s world from unraveling while he dealt with the ravages of his disease. Chris and the others quietly kept the bills paid, Matt made sure the storage unit was paid-up and secured, Moe and Steve helped get Jonathan’s affairs in order and the group started a Go-Fund Me Page to raise money for the eventual transition to hospice. Donations came in from the rocketry community as well as their extended network of friends. Steve Kristal (from Michigan) rounded up some of Jonathan’s flying partners from his early days.
During the early months of 2018, Jonathan’s condition had worsened to the point that he could no longer live on his own. Chris, Steve and Matt arranged for a moving company to clear out his rental home and Moe arranged for an old Air Force buddy (Jeff Robertson, who had never even met Jonathan!) to offer a room of his house so that Jonathan would have a place to stay. Jonathan would cook for Jeff in an effort to hold up his end of a deal that was never made. Craig and his wife Joelyn would make sure that there were rides to and from dialysis. Craig wanted it known that “Dr. John from dialysis was a true professional that treated Jonathan with care and compassion.” On the dwindling days that Jonathan felt “good,” his friends would know it because he would revert back to being a talker, conversing on everything from rockets to conservative politics. Moe would drive up to check on him when too much time had passed between any of the men hearing from Jonathan. Jonathan would remain at Jeff’s place through August. Moe had handled a big share of the heavy lifting up to this point and the torch was about to be passed to Craig and Joelyn. Craig noted with a chuckle that “Jonathan was still driving himself during the month of August, but he was starting to resemble one of the guys from Duck Dynasty.” By early Fall, a subsequent decline in Jonathan’s condition necessitated that “home” would now be a tug of war between the hospitals and extended care facilities. The level of care at each facility varied, prompting Craig to take notice that “All patients really need an advocate” to ensure proper care is provided. When the various doctors, nurses, dialysis technicians and care workers were invariably informed about the friends that had stepped up to help Jonathan in his time of need, many of them expressed the sentiment “We Just Don’t See This”, further illustrating the level of love and caring inherent to the group. Jonathan remained upbeat during this time and seemed happy despite the pain he was experiencing. He had a visitor in Craig nearly every day during this time and Joelyn’s efforts began to increase in frequency as well.
By November Jonathan had lost 40+ pounds, and while he was mentally aware of his surroundings, he was in denial as to his actual condition. The tumor had grown to the size of a softball and was beginning to invade his spinal column. His quality of life was fading fast. While the rest of us enjoyed our Thanksgiving holiday, Jonathan was agreeing to be put into hospice. Joelyn was by his side daily during those last few weeks and was truly was an angel. She was able to gently communicate to Jonathan his day to day status as well as some aspects of his life that he may want to reconsider. She was also the source of information that would keep the rest of the men informed.

(continued in next post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Jonathan.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  123.5 KB