Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default 3D printer recommendations

Good day everyone! What machines, features/benefits, materials and budgets are recommendations? This printer stuff is all very new to my and I thank you all in advance.

Ken
Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Old 06-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Craftsman

Ender 3, great entry level pricing and feature levels. Around $200 for a nice start.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Ciderwright

I have an Ender 5. A little more expensive than the Ender 3 with a slightly bigger print volume. I really like the full cubic frame - it's really solid.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Craftsman

I have two Ender 2 printers, I purchased for $175.00 each, from 3Dprintersonlinestore.com These were kits that I assembled and aligned in about 2 hours. I built enclosures for both of them with 3/4” styrofoam sheeting for about $8.00. I have printed 1000’s of model rocket parts with them and have even modified one for less than $20 to have a longer z-axis (400mm). As per Chris Taylor of Today’s 3D print channel (T3DP) on YouTube the Ender 3 is a much better printer kit and the newer Ender 5 is slightly better than the Ender 3. You can purchase the Ender 3’s for around $200 and the Ender 5’s for just over $300.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
I have two Ender 2 printers, I purchased for $175.00 each, from 3Dprintersonlinestore.com These were kits that I assembled and aligned in about 2 hours. I built enclosures for both of them with 3/4” styrofoam sheeting for about $8.00. I have printed 1000’s of model rocket parts with them and have even modified one for less than $20 to have a longer z-axis (400mm). As per Chris Taylor of Today’s 3D print channel (T3DP) on YouTube the Ender 3 is a much better printer kit and the newer Ender 5 is slightly better than the Ender 3. You can purchase the Ender 3’s for around $200 and the Ender 5’s for just over $300.

Those prices sound pretty reasonable. So, if a person were to chose an Ender 5 over an Ender 2, does that mean the result of a print would be a high definition or a better finish? Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that properly...I had a stroke in January. I'm pretty much completely recovered, but sometimes my thoughts and speaks don't seem to come out, maybe that's just me.

What are the filament materials? I know what ABS is, but PLA??

Thanks again, Ken
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Ciderwright

I think you can get as good a finish out of an earlier model Ender - but you might have to put more time into tuning and modifying it. The Ender 5 should be more resilient to certain vibrations out of the box (which show up as certain types of ripples in prints). I like the idea that it moves the print head in XY and the model only moves in Z. (Other Cartesian designs move the print head in XZ and the model in Y). But I acknowledge that print quality is multifaceted and there are multiple ways to good prints (and bad ones).

The XYZ resolution of the Ender line is the same across the models. (Shared stepper motors, electronics, and nozzles.)

PLA is Poly Lactic Acid. It's easy to print in that it is moderate temperature, doesn't require a heated bed (though it benefits from one) and isn't smelly when heated. It's strong, but a little brittle. It has a reputation for deforming in hot sun. It's prime-and-sandable, but not easy to smooth the print lines out chemically. It's 'compostable' - which is not the same as biodegradble, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it would compost better if ground up than left as parts.

The other currently popular filament among rocketeers is PETG. Prints at a slightly hotter temp than PLA, but only by 10-20C. Likes a heated bead, but not real hot - its rumored you can get away without. Not so much stronger than PLA, but more impact resistant and slightly flexible (but not as much as ABS). More hot-day-in-car resistant than PLA. No path to chemical finishing of a print. Tends to make threadlike hairs when printing certain shapes.

I'd strongly suggest getting a model with automatic print bed leveling. This uses a sensor that can read the bed, rather than a mechanical limit switch on the Z-axis. There are several aftermarket option available, but there are also resellers of the Ender 3 that add them for you. And update the firmware to use it. It's not hard to manually level (or square, or tram, or whatever the exact word is) a bed, but a sensor will save you a lot of fiddly manual dexterity knob tweaking.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!