Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,281
Default

Sorry if this has already been said earlier in the thread by someone else, I personally fail to see why anybody would want to buy any rocket with a super high price tag when if possible, it can be cloned for far less!

With the left over money, they can help out economy by buying new kits from Estes, Semroc, Custom, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
jetlag jetlag is offline
Old BAR
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,188
Default

I guess that person REALLY wanted those nice plastic display nozzles...hard to clone those!

Allen
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Cohetero-negro's Avatar
Cohetero-negro Cohetero-negro is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Earl,

Nicely rounded out - only one codicile. In some instances, as with live auctions, there is the testosterone factor kicking in. "I will not be beat" becomes the motivation as opposed to the relative item value. It is a roll of the die as to whether a 1/100th Saturn 1b goes for $170.00 or $300.00. I will never truly understand that.



As I have stated and given three examples, I have in the past OVER spent big-time on kits only because I had too much cash and not enough brain.

In today's economy, unless you are one of these millionaires who makes over $250,000.00 a year, its really hard justifying paying $500.00+ on an Estes Uprated Saturn 1b or anything for that matter.

Yes, as long as its your money, do what ever you want. My issue is that sellers see the valuations and suddenly a Alpha III is now worth $250.00 minimum!

There were two major players in the collector community back in the 90's. They played many games with people on and off-line. This was the begining of the great price increases.

I remember when one could buy just about any 'K Kit' for under $100.00. Then these two came unto the scene and fed off each other and collectors.

One member of this gruesome-twosome would shill bid ebay auctions, with no intent of paying for the auctions, but instead use the artificial auction close price as a measure to sell kits he already had in his pocession: 'See that Mars Snooper went for $225.00. I will give you a deal and sell to you off-line from my own collection for $175.00'.

The other member would just flat out misrepresent his kits as being mint and "K" when they were just skill level and ragged.

Don't know what happened to them as they have both dropped out of sight. One is suppossidly exploring the Martian planet, the other strumming his guitar on his back pourch down in Florida...

Since the 1990's, the pricing on anything 60's/70's has been astronomical in pricing!

Its like the sports card market before it collapsed in the 90's... sheer speculation.

I know that there are millionaires who read this board, but how many of them are buying $300.00+ kits off ebay?

I have always told myself that as my buying power/ability increases, so would the quality of my collectibles.

Instead of collecting a model kit or R/C of a sports car, buy the actual sports car.

Instead of a model rocket, buy an actual rocket, or something has has flown in space or two the Moon.

Besides, the kits will all come around again. I kid you not! Many a times I see the current slew of sellers on ebay who were once BUYERS 10 years ago. They are selling the SAME kits that they bought and I know that buyers today will one day sell what they are buying now. I just need to wait and work out my current finances to survive this current terrible economy.

Should the economy tank completely, what will be more valuable to the rocket collector: Fresh drinking water/food, or a "K Kit"? If the economy recovers, then put myself in a position to capitolize on the recovery and outspend the next guy biding on auction sites!

I have all but ~$6,000.00 in total debt paid off. No really, that is ALL the debt I have. No mortage, no car payments, no loans.

Interest rates go up, I don't care. Dollar collapses, I don't care. Gold through the roof, don't care again. Why? Answer: Because I have been working hard over the last year to get out from under debt and the problems it causes.

I drive a POS green, rusting Mini-Van. It may not turn the heads of the ladies but it keeps my bank account solvent and managible.

I have only two pairs of wearable jeans, and a $7.99 Walmart Timex 'knock off' watch on my wrist. I could put a $10,000.00 Rolex on my wrist but why? They still tell the SAME time.

But yes, it is all about personal choice.

I tell you this: If there are millionaires reading this post, and you want to buy a ready made super collection, drop me a line and we WILL do business!

J
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,941
Default

HEY NOW !
What's with the hatin' on Rolex watches ????
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No DIRECT and MEASURABLE Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Der Red Max's Avatar
Der Red Max Der Red Max is offline
MOTORVERKENS
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 315
Default Collectors vs. Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Sorry if this has already been said earlier in the thread by someone else, I personally fail to see why anybody would want to buy any rocket with a super high price tag when if possible, it can be cloned for far less!
Why would someone pay over $1,000,000 for Action #1, when you could read & own a reprint for a few bucks or create your own copy with your own computer for free?



It's not to buy and use or build,
it's the "high" that's achieved
when owning something deemed "rare".
Of course, "rare" is open to interpretation.
__________________
DRM - Exposing the Keeping It Real Fakers
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
As I have stated and given three examples, I have in the past OVER spent big-time on kits only because I had too much cash and not enough brain.

In today's economy, unless you are one of these millionaires who makes over $250,000.00 a year, its really hard justifying paying $500.00+ on an Estes Uprated Saturn 1b or anything for that matter.

Yes, as long as its your money, do what ever you want. My issue is that sellers see the valuations and suddenly a Alpha III is now worth $250.00 minimum!

There were two major players in the collector community back in the 90's. They played many games with people on and off-line. This was the begining of the great price increases.

I remember when one could buy just about any 'K Kit' for under $100.00. Then these two came unto the scene and fed off each other and collectors.

One member of this gruesome-twosome would shill bid ebay auctions, with no intent of paying for the auctions, but instead use the artificial auction close price as a measure to sell kits he already had in his pocession: 'See that Mars Snooper went for $225.00. I will give you a deal and sell to you off-line from my own collection for $175.00'.

The other member would just flat out misrepresent his kits as being mint and "K" when they were just skill level and ragged.

Don't know what happened to them as they have both dropped out of sight. One is suppossidly exploring the Martian planet, the other strumming his guitar on his back pourch down in Florida...

Since the 1990's, the pricing on anything 60's/70's has been astronomical in pricing!

Its like the sports card market before it collapsed in the 90's... sheer speculation.

I know that there are millionaires who read this board, but how many of them are buying $300.00+ kits off ebay?

I have always told myself that as my buying power/ability increases, so would the quality of my collectibles.

Instead of collecting a model kit or R/C of a sports car, buy the actual sports car.

Instead of a model rocket, buy an actual rocket, or something has has flown in space or two the Moon.

Besides, the kits will all come around again. I kid you not! Many a times I see the current slew of sellers on ebay who were once BUYERS 10 years ago. They are selling the SAME kits that they bought and I know that buyers today will one day sell what they are buying now. I just need to wait and work out my current finances to survive this current terrible economy.

Should the economy tank completely, what will be more valuable to the rocket collector: Fresh drinking water/food, or a "K Kit"? If the economy recovers, then put myself in a position to capitolize on the recovery and outspend the next guy biding on auction sites!

I have all but ~$6,000.00 in total debt paid off. No really, that is ALL the debt I have. No mortage, no car payments, no loans.

Interest rates go up, I don't care. Dollar collapses, I don't care. Gold through the roof, don't care again. Why? Answer: Because I have been working hard over the last year to get out from under debt and the problems it causes.

I drive a POS green, rusting Mini-Van. It may not turn the heads of the ladies but it keeps my bank account solvent and managible.

I have only two pairs of wearable jeans, and a $7.99 Walmart Timex 'knock off' watch on my wrist. I could put a $10,000.00 Rolex on my wrist but why? They still tell the SAME time.

But yes, it is all about personal choice.

I tell you this: If there are millionaires reading this post, and you want to buy a ready made super collection, drop me a line and we WILL do business!

J

Its millionaires AND Billionaires that make $250,000!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Earl,

Nicely rounded out - only one codicile. In some instances, as with live auctions, there is the testosterone factor kicking in. "I will not be beat" becomes the motivation as opposed to the relative item value. It is a roll of the die as to whether a 1/100th Saturn 1b goes for $170.00 or $300.00. I will never truly understand that.


Yes, I guess there will always be some strange drivers behind some behaviors. And some of it hard to explain or understand.

A great deal of it though I believe comes down to why anyone pays what some might consider outlandish prices for something be it $125,000 for a mint 60's muscle car (or considerably more); a couple million for an 1804 silver dollar or 1913 Liberty nickel, or rare comic books as mentioned by someone in an earlier post. Some of us would not pay those amounts; some would. It's what one places value on, for whatever reason.

Many would probably not spend everything they have for a stranger to undergo a certain medical procedure. However, make that someone a son, daughter, mother, father then 'what is important' changes drastically and what one is willing to pay changes accordingly. Maybe not a completely fair analogy, but close.

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Cohetero-negro's Avatar
Cohetero-negro Cohetero-negro is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, I guess there will always be some strange drivers behind some behaviors. And some of it hard to explain or understand.

A great deal of it though I believe comes down to why anyone pays what some might consider outlandish prices for something be it $125,000 for a mint 60's muscle car (or considerably more); a couple million for an 1804 silver dollar or 1913 Liberty nickel, or rare comic books as mentioned by someone in an earlier post. Some of us would not pay those amounts; some would. It's what one places value on, for whatever reason.

Many would probably not spend everything they have for a stranger to undergo a certain medical procedure. However, make that someone a son, daughter, mother, father then 'what is important' changes drastically and what one is willing to pay changes accordingly. Maybe not a completely fair analogy, but close.

Earl



Earl,

If I were a millionaire, I would buy one of every model rocket kit ever made by the top 5 manufactures.

Then I would build a small museum to house them all.

I would open it to the public and charge a small admissions fee.

If I hit Powerball, that is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I would base it in the Southwest so that people could visit it all year round. Might even buy enough land around it so that NARAM's could be held at the museum.

Do what you want to do, and sorry for being so 'critical' of that U.S.S. America purchase. If I had known it was you, I would have kept my mouth shut... maybe

J
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Cohetero-negro's Avatar
Cohetero-negro Cohetero-negro is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,256
Default

DRM,

If I had a 'spare' $1,000,000.00 laying around, YES I would buy the Action Comics featuring Superman!

Another Superman Movie is coming out next year.

I really don't like Superman as this 'Man of Steel' crap isn't real to me.

Super Heroes have problems and are borderline psychopaths. Thnk about it:

A man runs around in underware and a cape putting himself in danger ... that isn't normal.

I am an X-Men/Avengers comic follower.

Tony Stark (Iron Man) was an alchoholic back in the 1980's and lost control of his power suit; that is where Iron Man was oh the name escapes me, but Iron Man was black for a year or so. This is a real life situation! Buzz Aldrin became an alchoholic after returning from the Moon... again another real life situation.

The X-Men... my God I understand what they go through on a daily basis ... they don't fit in, we/they are misfits and don't trust society... for good reason.

The Avengers are slated to have a movie Summer 2012 ... that will be very nice! Its all coming together nicely.

So if I had a million that I could just spend, you bet I would buy important comics such as the one you listed!

J

P.s. If the reader of this post hasn't watched the movie, 'The Watchmen', you really need to rent or Netflix the movie! I found it to be REAL and exactly what I would expect of real-life Super Heroes ... just like movie, 'Kick Ass'. People whether they can fly, vibrate through walls, or see into the future, all have problems and weaknesses that don't require Kryptonite.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2020