Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Semroc sells parts to create a pseudo-Cineroc.

BC-1834 Cineroc Balsa Nose Cone
ST-1844 Cineroc Body Tube
BR-60-18 Cineroc Balsa Adapter to BT-60

I've bought the parts and already have a clone of the Omega. Sometime I'll put them all together with a small digital camera to make an Omega-Cineroc clone like the one at:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...16&page=1&pp=10

-- Roger
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

I did exactly this (parts from Semroc) and rigged up a gum cam to shoot outwards and mirror down. Worked great, have to look for the video and any stills.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think any camera or video rocket today, in order to be commercially viable, must be digital (and have some sort of reliable, non-volatile storage, unlike one recent unit). Folks today, with iPhones and micro-USB connectors, want to download and watch the video/see pics while they're at the field. Not only do they not want to wait for film developing, they don't even want to wait to get home to see what they got.

So, while 35mm film is a huge improvement over 110, it's still not viable, in this day and age, IMNSHO.

Doug

I can pretty much agree wih that. I've been doing some experimentation with the pen cams and such to work towards a decent and relatively simple on-board video 'system' to obtain decent footage easily. I'd like to do some wireless transmitter stuff too at some point down the line. But certainly for recording video or stills, digital is basically the way to go. I switched to digital HD video workflow (Sony XDcam) at work about two years ago and it's hard to think of even going back to tape based workflows now.

Still, there is a certain charm about analog film and though I suspect it's gonna be a fair amount of effort to shoot footage in a Cineroc these days, it is one of those things that I just want to attempt to fully live out the Cineroc 'experience'. But film is certainly not the path I take starting from scratch, that's certain.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
BAR

Quote:
I think any camera or video rocket today, in order to be commercially viable, must be digital (and have some sort of reliable, non-volatile storage, unlike one recent unit). Folks today, with iPhones and micro-USB connectors, want to download and watch the video/see pics while they're at the field. Not only do they not want to wait for film developing, they don't even want to wait to get home to see what they got.

So, while 35mm film is a huge improvement over 110, it's still not viable, in this day and age, IMNSHO.

Doug

Oh yeah, didn't mean they should come out with it NOW... should have clarified that I guess... the time for a product like this was during the 90's...

110 film has been hard to find around here for a LONG time... 35mm film is nearly impossible to find around here anymore now too. Film is slowly going the way of the dodo... it'll always have a place in "professional" photography (or VERY serious amateurs) because there are things you can do with film that are difficult or impossible to do with digitals, but film is already a "niche" product as far as consumer photography goes... I figure that trend will continue.

For most stuff, digital IS superior... as you said, the "instant access" to the product is a big plus, and if something's screwed up or you just don't like the finished product, you can hit 'delete' and don't have ANY sunk costs in film or developing (other than the cost of the flight itself). That's a BIG plus...

Later! OL JR
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
This is a good idea, I think. But for a keychain cam or something similar. If you were gutting a Cineroc or Camroc, it'd be rocketry blashemy! But, given the Astrocams aren't so rare, it makes sense to do that.

Doug

Course if I do in 15 or 20 years I'll be kicking myself for gutting a perfectly good Astrocam that's worth big bucks THEN...

Later! OL JR
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I got a Cineroc just after NARAM-50. I got it dirt cheap, but the batteries were installed and they and the battery harness were badly corroded. The rubber band on the pulley, of course, was toast, but otherwise, the rest of the camera appears to be in good shape. The main decision has to be whether to repair or attempt to replace the battery harness. Since I'm not as eager to actually run film through the camera, that decision has so far been very easy -- do nothing, and just bring it out occasionally to show people!

Roy-

I think there might be a readable manufacturer's name on the metal battery holder assembly. If I can make it out, and maybe a part number, it's possible the part may still be commercially available for a replacement for yours.

If I can read it off mine I'll post it here in the next day or so.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
SSRS Alumni (No, the other SSRS)

At NARAM-15 (or was it 14?) I met a guy named Herb Desond. He was what I call a Camroc or Cineroc "nut." He loved those things. As a 14 year old kid I thought it was rather a strange obsession, but, you know, I was 14.

Shortly after meeting him I found three new cameras in a distributor's warehouse. I bought them and turned around and sold them to him at a tidy profit. I think it was the first time I ever handled an out-of-state check (Maryland, maybe?).

I've always wondered what happened to Herb and his camera collection.

- Rich
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Thanks for your feedback Scott. I think someone posted in an earlier thread that you probably would know a thing or two about the Cinerocs.

I believe he acquired Herb Desind's collection of Cinerocs after he passed away.

Mine have a flat white box as well used to mail the film cartridge back to Estes.

Talk to Kurt Schachner about putting new film in the cartridges. We did a number of them in a dark closet in his basement in the late 90's. We also cut out Camroc film disks with a punch.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by raohara
At NARAM-15 (or was it 14?) I met a guy named Herb Desond. He was what I call a Camroc or Cineroc "nut." He loved those things. As a 14 year old kid I thought it was rather a strange obsession, but, you know, I was 14.

Shortly after meeting him I found three new cameras in a distributor's warehouse. I bought them and turned around and sold them to him at a tidy profit. I think it was the first time I ever handled an out-of-state check (Maryland, maybe?).

I've always wondered what happened to Herb and his camera collection.

- Rich

There was a photo of Herb and his Cineroc collection, or at least part of it, in "American Spacemodeling" back in the late 80's early 90's as part of an article or something... an entire closet floor filled with Cineroc boxes side by side, paving the floor like tiles...

Later! OL JR
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
There was a photo of Herb and his Cineroc collection, or at least part of it, in "American Spacemodeling" back in the late 80's early 90's as part of an article or something... an entire closet floor filled with Cineroc boxes side by side, paving the floor like tiles...

Later! OL JR

I remember that photo......was kind of amazing to see. I wonder just how many Cineroc flights Herb made all told? Seems I recall an earlier thread here that said maybe all his films had possibly been lost, but that Scott had inherited the Cinerocs themselves.

It would really be a shame if all Herb's flight footage has been lost. Seems like I read somewhere that he may have made 10,000 Cineroc flights....which seems almost unbelievable, but one would assume he made certainly many, many hundreds of flights in his time.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions