Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, but that format doesn't lend itself well to conversion to a flying camera... it's too big and boxy... (oh sure there's plenty of HPR projects it'd fit into but I'm talking about for the average LPR/MPR modeler). You MIGHT be able to do a hammerhead on a BT-80, but the physical size is really going to be a constraint.

Unless of course one came up with their own format-- maybe "mini-pics" half the size of a standard Polaroid... but then you'd have to have someone manufacture them, and that would CERTAINLY be prohibitively expensive!

Later! OL JR

There was a Polaroid format about 10 years ago of a size that could (and probably was) used on rockets. When I was with Priceline.com we gave these cameras (came with a pack of the film) away as premiums. The picture size was on the order of 2 x 1.5" or maybe a little smaller. And there was a version of the film that came with a self adhesive back so you could stick the finished photo on a notebook (yes, they were marketed to teens and tweens). The basic difference between these packs and the regular Polaroid packs was that they had no built in batteries. The camera was completely mechanical, as ancient Polaroid Land cameras were. The batteries in it were only for the flash. You cocked it by pulling a plastic chain, and after taking the picture you pulled the chain again to pull the film through the rollers.

When Polaroid was sold a few years ago the new owner shut down the instant film lines. However, the employees of one of the plants (in Sweden or Norway?) bought the plant and have started up the line again, at least making the Polaroid 600 film (descendant of the SX-70/Swinger cameras). Fuji also still makes a Polaroid-style instant film and they make a "credit card" sized film.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Craftsman

Herb was quite a guy. I remember him when I was with GSSS and he would come up and fly with the club. I remember him mixing epoxy on the back seat of the bomb he use to drive. He also play a video tape of a lot of his Cineroc's at the Pearl River Model Rocket Convention. You can see that video on the NART's NAR History DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Greetings:

Herb Desind was my ninth grade science teacher at Eisenhower Junior High School in Laurel Md. I joined Herb's rocket club at he end of fifth grade and yes all he flew was Cineroc's and flew them in all sorts of configurations. He once flew a three stager with a F100 staged to a F100 staged to a F100. I do not think he got that one back if memory serves. I was in charge of recovering the first stage and it tumbled into the thick underbrush of the woods west of the school. No luck with it either.

Back in the day if the weather didn't allow us to launch he would show us film of where he flew Cinerocs all over the world literally. I remember seeing one taken at the edge of a volcano in Hawaii.

Herb passed in 1990 of colon cancer. It saddened many of us that knew him. Perhaps I can get Scott Branche to chime in here as well. He also knew Herb.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Master Modeler

Herb Desind showed up at a long-ago North Shore Section launch. It was near Nassau Coliseum, as I recall.

I recall Herb was enthusiastic to the point of being a little crazy. He had a big garbage bag full of beat-up Omegas (single stage, mostly) with Cinerocs on top. When he wanted to launch he'd just grab one.

It would have been cool to see some footage of the stadium from above.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I believe he acquired Herb Desind's collection of Cinerocs after he passed away.

Mine have a flat white box as well used to mail the film cartridge back to Estes.

Talk to Kurt Schachner about putting new film in the cartridges. We did a number of them in a dark closet in his basement in the late 90's. We also cut out Camroc film disks with a punch.

Scott-

Thanks for the info.....is Kurt a member here or do you have contact info for him?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Scott-

Thanks for the info.....is Kurt a member here or do you have contact info for him?

Yup. He uses his real name here.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Certified L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
There was a Polaroid format about 10 years ago of a size that could (and probably was) used on rockets. When I was with Priceline.com we gave these cameras (came with a pack of the film) away as premiums. The picture size was on the order of 2 x 1.5" or maybe a little smaller. And there was a version of the film that came with a self adhesive back so you could stick the finished photo on a notebook (yes, they were marketed to teens and tweens).

The specific brand name of those was "i-Zone", I believe. When I was in first grade there was a three month period in which everyone in the class was obsessed with them. That was long before I was into rockets, so I never had the though to try to convert one for flight.
NAR #88972/TRA #14554
Certified Level Three
Member: Washington Aerospace Club NAR Section #578
My Site: http://wscrocketry.com
Avatar: Madcow Rocketry 4" Little John on a CTI H200BS (cropped and rotated for dramatic effect)
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Great deal seeing as one in the same condition went for over $400 a few days ago. It looks 100% complete and is of a "newer" vintage judging by the parackute. I also has the Estes label in the corner of the box that covered up the original $19.95 price tag that was printed on the box. Lastly, the pictures don't show it, but there are probably small triangular gussets where the mechanism tray meets the base of the transition. This was added later on and provided much more strength at that joint.

I wonder what a proto-type 'see through' Cineroc would fetch or the original first flight film made my Mike D. would fetch? Then there is the photo and negatives of Mike Dorfler standing with Vern Estes, then Gov. Guy Love, all examining the 'see through' Cineroc might be worth on the open market? One can only guess

Nice acquisition Earl! Very nice!

Jonathan
Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Hi, All,
I have a little information about Herb Desind, as I had frequent correspondence with him back in the late 70s/early 80's.
Just to let you know a little about myself to start, I used to be a very avid model rocketeer here in Colorado Springs. I was NAR #25180 in the ROMAR section (Rocky Mountain Association of Rocketry), and served as NAR Mountain States regional manager around 1981-82. I dropped out of the hobby in 1986 due to job constraints and raising 3 children.
I received correspondence from Herb asking me if I would be interested in launching some of his Cinerocs in Colorado with the intent of getting some shots of the majestic Rocky Mountains. Herb not only flew Cinerocs a great deal himself, but he also distributed them around the US and abroad to get movies from everywher he could! I readily agreed, so Herb mailed me 2 complete Cineroc/Omega systems with detailed instructions on how to operate them according to his modifications. I don't recall a lot about these changes today other than he had come up with a way to suspend the camera from the parachute so that it hung at about a 45 degree angle for panoranic shots. I seem to recall that he had toyed with ways to enhance the optics on the camera, as well as modifying his own film cartridges to hold longer running films. The cool thing is that Herb said I could keep the Cinerocs as my own as long as I kept sending him the film negatives. In this way I obtained several pretty good movies!
I managed to lose one of the Cinerocs when I accompanied some friends on a ski trip to Breckenridge, Colorado. Finding a good open space, I prepped a Cineroc/Omega in the snow, turned the camera on , and let 'er fly! It was a gorgeous, straight-up flight that deployed the camera perfectly. Unfortunately, the model encountered some winds aloft that carried it straight into a forested area! In an attempt to trek after it, I found the snow way too deep for hiking, so I made a trip to downtown Breckenridge, rented some snow shoes and returned back to the launch site. After searching for hours in the woods for the model, I had to give up when it started becoming too dark. To this day, I lament that this lost flight had probably taken one of the best Cineroc movies ever.....
The 2nd camera was sold in 2005 to a member of COSROCS along with my remaining collection of over 50 sport and contest rockets, kits, tons of parts, engines, rocket plans, and even a small stack of NARAM-11 flight cards obtained years before from Bill Roe (NAR #2). At this sale, I almost held back the Cineroc, knowing that it had become a much sought-after collector's item. Oddly, I did keep my AstroCam / Delta II combo as well as the first rocket I ever owned, an Estes Hornet. I still have these displayed in a curio cabinet.

I was very sad to hear of Herb's passing.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Hi, All,

I was very sad to hear of Herb's passing.

Blast,

Thank you for sharing! Herb was Mr. Cineroc! He also had one of the largest private collections of military, aerospace, and civilian space ephemera on the planet! IIRC, he got a call from the FBI back in the day when he was writing former Soviet countries for information!

When he passed, he left the bulk of his rocket collection to Scott Branche; this is why Scott has so many Cinerocs and other early kits.

You are not the only one to loose a Cineroc in such a way. A flyer over in Hawaii lost his Cineroc down into a large canyon area and couldn't get deep enough in to find it

BTW, I use Herb's collection all the time to research Scale modes. The Smithsonian has his ephemera collection and you can look it up on-line and then order copies of what ever you want. Just head over to the Smithsonian and search, 'Desind Collection'. Very nice stuff!

I collect, but I don't do it for people alive at the moment, but for the ones who are crapping and peeing in their diapers (infant). I am in my 40's and God willing, I hope to live another 30 - 40 years. When I am in my last decade of life, I plan to sell off, and gift my collectibles. They range from late 50's/early 60's Model Rocket items all the way to items that have flown to the Lunar surface and personal effects of Astronauts. A few typical and atypical Cineroc items also thrown in there to boot! I was lucky enough to be placed in contact with a gentleman who had acquired a vast cache of items that came out of the old Estes house when it was moved... needless to say, thank God I got it because I am PRESERVING model rocket history and not running to ebay or bragging on here about each and every item I have ... that is the difference between myself and others .... model rocketry was my escape from an extremely abusive home. While many here remember fondly flying their first rocket with their Dad, I used model rocketry to escape my parents, and community. If it hadn't have been for model rocketry, I would have taken my hate and pain, joined a gang and shoot dead another gang member or died in a drug deal ... the ghetto (Compton California) was HELL for me ... but I survived and am keeping rocketry preserved!

They'll have to pry my collection from my dead cold hands! I have an open agreement with the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry to donate what I have to them. The wife will have to determine where things go if she should outlive me, so only time will tell.

Jonathan
Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Thanks for the reply....
Sounds like you have a very comprehensive collection of model rocket history..Jeez, if I didn't have enough hobbies already, I would bet the 30+ year old model rocketry bug would bite me again.