Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
Is it possible to launch a Care Bear attached to the Estes Interceptor if you used the correct motor and delay...instead of using the stock chute you could attach the shroud lines to the Care Bear have it gracefully glide it down for soft landing?

Now there is some clever thinking to our little wing joint crack dilemma! That would be really cool and a big hit with the kids. I bet it would work to because it would induce a slowly spinning horizontal recovery, keeping those long old plastic wing pods from vertical impact. Just have to figure out how long the shock cord would need to be to get the mass thing right for the spin, just like NASA and that tethered orbital elevator concept. The mini Care Bears would do just fine, no wadding needed. Star shine Bear just might be the ticket. He might get a little burnt and look like the Bear in Toy Story 3, but a little soap and water and a lot of strawberry sent will get rid of that nasty black powder residue. I don’t think they make a Care Bear with a rocket on his tummy so maybe Daddy will have to pant one on his . . . or maybe not, we don’t want to scare everyone off and the launch photos would not pass the censorship muster on TRF. This could be the start of something great. Smurf recovery, big haired troll recovery, Cabbage Patch recovery, Bitty Baby recovery. I wonder if it would be enough to get my Daughters interested in rocketry. At the very least it might get some of the toys off the floor.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
What about just using a larger chute? I think the kit comes with either a 24 or 28" chute right? How about moving up to a 30 or maybe a 32" plastic Dynastar chute...just bring it down slower?

That plastic Dynastic always brings down the Fire Fox nice and slow, much to the delight of the crowd. Never have I had any damage to the delicate tail strikes or the wing joints. But just a puff of a breeze and start walking as the lightweight, high surface area rocket will act like one of Ted Turner's yachts and will Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have flown mine with F39's and do not have this problem.
I do not have the extra support ribs on the wings, but did assemble the entire rocket with EPOXY, and use a larger than stock 30" nylon chute.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !