Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn-rocketry
Bill - Will Quest be making the D-E-F engines and corresponding kits available to retail hobby stores through traditional distribution channels (such as Horizon Hobby Distributors - my current source for your product), or will they only be sold direct to consumers through the Quest web site?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

We haven't made that decision yet. If we go retail, the prices will be higher but distribution wider. They can not be shipped via the post office, so re-shipping from our distributors to our dealers will be difficult because most are not UPS or FedEx HazMat certified shippers.

What would you guys prefer?

a. Walk into any hobby shop and buy them for $16 or $17 each (the "F"'s)
b. Buy them direct from Quest online for $8 or $9 each ?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocketeer "II"
Alan,

We haven't made that decision yet. If we go retail, the prices will be higher but distribution wider. They can not be shipped via the post office, so re-shipping from our distributors to our dealers will be difficult because most are not UPS or FedEx HazMat certified shippers.

I vote B !

terry dean
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Oddroc-eteer

B for sure. At the A prices I likely would try one or two, but that's it. Quest's on-line system has been very efficient and timely in my experience.
Co-moderator of the MicroMaxRockets, microhybrids, and OddRocs Yahoo groups
Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine
Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:

Let me answer a question with a question.

How much wider is the actual distribution in terms of users and units in a hobby shop vs. your website now?

The shipping issue needs to be solved at the source.

The people jumping up and down shouting B, B, B! have no perspective. They bought their model rockets at stores. For these motors to see fairly wide access they have to be available in stores, even if the distribution system is some form of distributor takes the order and Quest drop-ships to the store.

Having a $17 retail price does not preclude Quest from selling them on a website like they do their current product.

I say A and I am not being self centered and saying I want to buy 10. I am saying I want 10,000 NEW users to experience them. They are THAT cool.

Oh, by the way, that is the exact same advise I gave to Lonnie Reese a short time before FSI stopped selling underpriced F100's with unsuitable profits under Larry's management.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-24-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Bob,

Yes it is ! We've changed it to include a 29mm motor mount (to accomodate our 29mm "F"). and we had to come up with a reasonable method to add nose weight. These BP motors are alot heavier than their AT counterparts. I'll shamefully admit that the very first test flight of the Big Dog with an F12 was a specatacular sky writing show for the full four seconds of burn time. No one was injured diving for cover, but we all had sore cheeks from laughing so darn hard afterwards !

So the word of caution is for any current kit you guys convert to fly on one of our D5's or the E12, F12, be sure to check the CG-CP relationship before flying 'cause these BP motors really shift the Cg back !

One more quick story about Big Dog - the kit will be packaged in a nice new e-flute box. Well, the first shipment of 3,000 boxes showed up here last week with a considerable amount of damage in transit. Seems they were handled so roughly in one of the freight terminals that all the bands holding the boxes onto the pallets had been broken and the boxes subsequently were scattered all over the terminal floor (grease, dirt, you get the picture...). Well, the highly trained/paid union workers simply threw them all back on the pallet and shrunk wrapped it. When we dissected it all here after arrival, they had damaged over 2800 of 3000 boxes !!!

Can you say FREIGHT CLAIM?
Doncha love shipping damage? "Hey you cut the shrink wrap how do we know you didn't do it?"
Mr. Bob
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Absolutely, positively option B.
I would gladly pay $8 or $9 for a SU BP 29mm F, but NEVER would pay $16 to $17 for the same motor. At the $8 price it provides an interesting alternative to always flying my RMS24 and RMS29.
I'd order 2-paks of Aerotech RMS29 Econojet SU F20/F27/F42 engines before I'd EVER buy a SU BP F12 for anywhere near $17 a pop.

With Aerotech's new "Value rockets" pricing of $18.95 per 3-pak of 24mm 40 n-sec E15/E30 engines (around $6.35 each plus shipping), the F12 at the $9 price point better be around 55-60 n-sec. While I enjoy variety in my rocket motors, I need decent value per $$ as well.

How many n-sec is the E and F projected to be ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I was going to comment with "nice booty" but I didn't want Scott to get the wrong impression

Oh please... Why do you think it got the name!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  decal 23.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  147.8 KB  
Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

B... And I would be happy to pay more for the BP equivalent if the ejection charges are within 20% of what is claimed. While I love the boost on AP, the bonus delay has "gotten" me too many times. I flew my Mach 10+ on Easter and the F12-3 ended up being an F12-9 .
Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Oh please... Why do you think it got the name!

Well that explains it!

Very cool decals! I really like that rocket. Will that be a future kit release or just a personal build?

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Alan,

b.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates