Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Master Modeler

Default I've mucked it up again

I repaired my Centurion and find that I misaligned my replacement tube. It has about a 1/16" bow to it, right in the middle at the joint. I didn't check the alignment with a straight edge when I did it. It took the missus to notice and point it out to me. I'm disappointed.

Is there a fix for this without starting over? Is it a real problem? I guess I can answer the last question because I know it's there and it bugs me.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Old Submariner

What adhesive did you use on the joint?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
What adhesive did you use on the joint?

Elmers Glue-All, the regular white glue.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

Heat will soften white glue. I've heard that vinegar will soften it also. Maybe a combination of wicking in some vinegar and then heating???

If you don't mind the Centurion being a little shorter, just cut the coupler out and put in another.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Old Submariner

Right. If you can't get the glue to release and you don't want the rocket shorter, cut the tube just above and just below the coupler, measure how much you cut out, then splice in a length of BT with a coupler at the top and one at the bottom. It will increase the weight a BCH, but the gain in strength and rigidity might be worth it.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the advice. I'll try a hair dryer on it and perhaps the vinegar/heat combo if that doesn't work. Otherwise, its slice and dice again.

I thought I had done a good job of cutting the tube on this rocket, but it could have been better. Is there a tried and true technique for tube cutting that guarantees or at least improves my chances of a level, consistent cut? I have no special tools other than an Exacto knife and a Dremel.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the advice. I'll try a hair dryer on it and perhaps the vinegar/heat combo if that doesn't work. Otherwise, its slice and dice again.

I thought I had done a good job of cutting the tube on this rocket, but it could have been better. Is there a tried and true technique for tube cutting that guarantees or at least improves my chances of a level, consistent cut? I have no special tools other than an Exacto knife and a Dremel.

There are tools you can use to make accurate cuts, but I get great results with a plain old Xacto knife. I wrap the tube with paper to mark my line, then take my time with the Xacto. Very light cuts, making multiple passes. Occasionally I need to hit it with a sanding block after the cut, but most of the time it's good to go.

You can make a razor blade tube cutter from plans that are available somewhere around here on the web. Estes has some tube cutting guides that should be out by now. Product link
Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks tbzep. I used a variation of your technique last time, but I'll follow your suggestion and use a bit more patience this time round—if it comes to that.

After a Google search, I found the instructions for making a cutting jig and I may build one in the future if I don't master this.

Again, to all, I appreciate the help and thank you.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Paper Rocketeer

I have also heard of using the heat from a 100 watt light bulb to soften white glue (usually to straighten fins, but it might work here as well. An iron might also do the job as well, but I think I'd draw the line short of using the kitchen stove or a propane torch!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy

I'm pretty sure that X-Acto make a small miter box too for use with their razor saws, or you can always get a small one from Lowe's or Home Depot. If toy do a lot of tube cutting, that may be your best bet.... just a thought

Gunner
NAR# 18493