Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Retired BAR!

Default Paint Problems?

Since delclaring myself a BAR and building several rockets since renewing my love of rocketry, I've strived for better finishs on models. The rockets I built as a young boy were built to fly, not be pretty! My problem since returning is paint finish. I've been using rattle can Krylon for all my rockets, primer and finish coat. In the last couple of weeks I've gotten a can of primer that was cloudy water at best and a can of gloss banner red that was glossy, satin, flat and some other unGodly coat all in one spraying! I'm not a bad painter, I know good technique and spray in multiple light coats, not heavy runny disasters. I've seen many great looking models in the project forums, what's your secrets? Are there better rattle can paints available or is it necessary to have an air brush for stunning finishes? I really don't want to invest in expensive guns/accessories. Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Master Modeler

Look through Leo's and Scigs30 build threads for their methods on finishing. These two guys give their rockects fantastic finishes.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Master Modeler

Is it very humid where you are?

High humidity can cloud otherwise glossy finishes.

The cure is to wait for the paint to THOROUGHLY dry (I don't know how long for the new Krylon) and then use polishing compound. You don't know glossy until you've compounded and buffed your paint job.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 PM
OldSchoolDood

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Byrum

Krylon has issues with humidity. I get satin finishes at best on humid days. With Krylon in mind, their clear coat can blister their own paint. I am going to attempt using Future floor finish as a gloss finish. Application can easily be found if you Google it. Regarding their primer, it stinks. I've heard of folks using KILLS but this too has issues with the glassine covered tubes. I hear that the Krylon gray primer is a better alternative and use a white or preferred base color on top of that. I, like you, am still working on these same issues.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Retired BAR!

Well, if humidity can be a factor, I'm out of luck right now! I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta, GA - this time of year, the air is THICK! I'll have to give the rubbing compound a try, sounds promising. Here lately, to cover up the blotchy paint jobs, I just shoot the model with flat after applying decals. Seems to hide most of the problem but would like a nice glossy model occasionally!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Master Modeler

As far as my rattle can experiences go....

I really like the Rustoleum 2X coverage line sold by Home Depot. I have not had good results with Krylon.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Same here. I went back to the cheapo stuff after problems with the new Krylon.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Master Modeler

Valspar from Lowe's is a good rattle can paint.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Retired BAR!

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to try a different brand of rattle paint and check my results. We're having a club launch this coming Saturday and was hoping to have my nice and shiny Super Big Bertha in 1970 paint scheme ready for action but looks like she'll be sporting a flat finish to cover the assorted finishes! Best to all
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
BAR

Yes, as previously mentioned just about ANYTHING is better than the "new" Krylon. Conditions have to be pretty much perfect and you better be an ace painter to get even decent results out of this stuff... the worst thing IMHO is that it doesn't even like to play nice with Krylon primers and even previous coats, even when religiously following recoat times!

Sorry but I'm not paying good money for crappy paint!

As mentioned, Valspar is a good brand, as is Duplicolor. Rustoleum is okay as well. I've had MUCH better luck with Walmart Colorplace 99 cent a can stuff than the new Krylon, but the colors are very limited and the red primer is no more and the gray primer's getting hard to find, so I'll probably have to switch primers when I run low...

You'll have to experiment a bit and see what works best for you...

Good luck! Later! OL JR