Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie
Default pre build motor mount question

Ok I am going to start an upscale using the Executioner kit. I have a couple Aerotech single use E20's that have a yellow cap at the ejection charge end. I have not used composite motors before. I plan to fly this kit with Estes BP E9's, but also get my feet wet with these composite motors. Does the entire yellow cap come off at ejection, or just the smaller black plug that is within the yellow cap. The reason I ask is that I read somewhere to omit the engine block if using aerotech motors. Is it because the engine block would stop the yellowcap from coming off because it does appear that would be a problem if so. I will probably fly this thing on E9's more often and would rather not trust the engine hook alone to hold the motors back in position.

Hope I explained that right, I want to fly 24mm BP and composites, not sure about the engine block ring.

thanks for any help.

Steve
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 AM
CG to close to CP

First, no the yellow cap does not come off.
Second, the reason they say to leave out the engine block, is the composite motors come in different lengths, so with no engine block you do not have to worry about where to mount it, and what spacers to use, with which motor. The composite motors usually have a built in engine block, that is at the base of the motor. If it does not, then you can make one by wrapping 1/4" tape around the base. This stops the motor from sliding up the tube, by blocking it right at the "entrance" to the motor mount.

If you still want an engine block, just put it "deep" enough so that any motors you fly, will fit, and use spacers for the rest.

Hope this helps!
Mike D.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Thanks for clearing that up, Mike!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

If you leave off the engine hook and thrust ring and project the motor tube 1/2" out the back you will be able to use any length motor with no obstructions or issues or readily install a conversion mount for a smaller motor.

http://v-serv.com/usr/pubs/air1.htm

http://v-serv.com/usr/interchange.htm

It's time to respect old school for what it is. Simple, reliable, practical, proven, and diverse.

Jerry