Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Nice! Our pop up was next to the guy who did the Flying Pyramid of Death that crashed nearby, and we were with Neil and Barb and their big SWAT. We did not get that you have to drink ice water there to survive. I Flew a 7motor cluster in a Loc Magnum (my avatar picture) that I had racked with electronics burning and they made me take it down for the Brusier Drag race. After I got it back on the rack it took off on Blue Thunder, two I357s, two H238s and Two G110s, and at a second and a half lit a K550 with a timer. It was up for ages and deployed the main right behind the pad it left. I think it got 7500 on that flight. We really enjoyed it, including the real fireworks in the host hotel parking lot on July 4th. We had to leave early because a guy I was with had a commitment. I had to pull over at 4am and sleep at a rest stop on the way back to PA or I wouldn’t have made it. Those were the days.

I have Earl’s Video, I loved them, remember the anticipation waiting until they arrived? I think it might have been the first East Coast LDRS, so everyone and anyone had to be there.

IIRC, the FPOD guys were from Florida. Seemed like nice guys. IIRC, they said that it (or a smaller scale one) had flown successfully before they brought it to LDRS. I was doing range duty at the time of their flight, but I wasn't the LCO so don't blame it on me! I also remember a pretty big V-2 with a scale ballistic flight path that ended across the road with an approximately 200 mph to zero deceleration in about 0.003 seconds.

I only made one commercial flight on a hybrid motor for certification purposes, so I spent a lot of time helping my friends (and a few strangers) with their big projects along with range duty.

The rest of my flights were on EX day. I really only remember flying my 4" Cherokee upscale on a red propellant J-300 motor and my 1/2 scale (about 12.5 ft tall) Aerobee Hi (single stage) on an L-1000 sparky motor that echoed off the tree lines. These were not motors from the motor making class. IIRC, Jim had them make a fairly low smoke orange flamed propellant he called Diamondback and they were either two grain H or three grain I motors. I borrowed chutes from everybody I knew cause I didn't have any big ones. Each half of the Aerobee came down with dual deployment, a single "drogue" and then two more at the second deployment. Six successful chutes!
BTW, I am not Jim Mitchell if you watch Earl's video again. I had to fly under his EX paperwork so my rockets were announced as his. That's ok cause I used his 76mm case (long before it became a commercial product) and I made the propellant at his shop a few weeks before LDRS.