Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default Anyone know what this is?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Someone mentioned earlier in the year that Estes occasionally kitted the plans published in the Model Rocket News.

That looks like a multi stage rocket I remember with BT-60 sized boosters. I'll have to look it up.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

More likely something kitted by a local hobby shop rather than by Estes.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
CG to close to CP

Just a wag here, but this looks like the parts for the stuffer tube/cluster mount for the early K-36 Saturn V. I do not see the a nose cone, and when they offered the D engine mount for the K-36 it was in a seperate package. Any Idea what the chute size is, that is in this, and how many? If there are 2-24", and 1 12" it would seem to fit this as well. Seeing the two "bt-60ish" size tube, if one fits inside the other, it would lend to this as well, as the K-36 was made to have changeable motor mount from cluster to the D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  k-36f.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  449.9 KB  
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
Just a wag here, but this looks like the parts for the stuffer tube/cluster mount for the early K-36 Saturn V. I do not see the a nose cone, and when they offered the D engine mount for the K-36 it was in a seperate package. Any Idea what the chute size is, that is in this, and how many? If there are 2-24", and 1 12" it would seem to fit this as well. Seeing the two "bt-60ish" size tube, if one fits inside the other, it would lend to this as well, as the K-36 was made to have changeable motor mount from cluster to the D.

I had one of those D-engine adapters for the K-36, and it was in a much smaller package and did not contain much more that the two small tubes.

I was tempted to put in a bid for this, but then I figured it was just a collection of old Estes parts that wound it's way into a bag and sealed by someone. I don;t recognize it as anything Estes ever kitted.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:43 AM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
I had one of those D-engine adapters for the K-36, and it was in a much smaller package and did not contain much more that the two small tubes.

I was tempted to put in a bid for this, but then I figured it was just a collection of old Estes parts that wound it's way into a bag and sealed by someone. I don;t recognize it as anything Estes ever kitted.

I was not implying this was the D mount kit, just making reference to it, that it was individually bagged like this. I believe this to be a "parts" bag out of the original k-36 kit, that includes the stuffer tube, and 3 engine mount kit.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I was not implying this was the D mount kit, just making reference to it, that it was individually bagged like this. I believe this to be a "parts" bag out of the original k-36 kit, that includes the stuffer tube, and 3 engine mount kit.

Very good call... I'm with you on this.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

yea, I could go with this.

In fact, after looking at it again, I'm almost certain that's what it is... there appear to be two 24" chutes and a 12" chute. And there appears to be a large card of centering rings. If the seller could just add a picture of the back. I just sent him a request to do so.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:

My apologies, I must have misread your post.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Also, the seller has another auction of a Centuri Lil' Hustler along with "other parts" among which are the plastic parts, decals, and some of the wraps from a K-36 kit. So the seller is obviously not that clued in on what he has.