Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Yes, I remember discussing this before. In the grand scheme of things, I seem to recall that Indiana was advanced as the best state to set up such a business; something about the fire code being more friendly.

I also recall discussing a location in a rural area so that neighbors would be unlikely to complain much, but near a major highway (perhaps half a mile or so off the Interstate) so that shipping wouldn't be a problem.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Yes, I remember discussing this before. In the grand scheme of things, I seem to recall that Indiana was advanced as the best state to set up such a business; something about the fire code being more friendly.

I also recall discussing a location in a rural area so that neighbors would be unlikely to complain much, but near a major highway (perhaps half a mile or so off the Interstate) so that shipping wouldn't be a problem.

You are correct, this has been discussed in detail, I think it was under "Ask The Doctor" and the topic was "Motor Matters".
Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther

I don't have any real interest in building an engine machine, except as a thought experiment. Doing the thought experiment, I continue to wonder how one shovels in a measured amount of a powder with a mechanical dingus. If one does it volumetrically, how does one control the density? How do you get it to flow down a tube, or do you build little mechanical shovels?

I'm sure this a long-ago solved problem, probably with solutions in a mechanical engineering book, but I don't know how it's done.

I'm pretty sure the pharmaceutical industry solved a lot of that probably a century or so ago.
When I was a wee tyke, my folks took me to the opening of the UGA Pharmacy School's then state-of-the-art new building. One of the machines on display was a low-production pill machine that was making buffered aspirin. It had a hopper and a press and a big wheel that could be either hand cranked or driven by direct or belt means (in this case, a pharmacy student was cranking it, making a couple of pills at a time and handing them out). A quick search shows a few companies that manufacture such devices, which I'm sure could be modified for use on a motor press.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I take it you are talking about a garage setup like a shotgun shell loader?!?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I'm pretty sure the pharmaceutical industry solved a lot of that probably a century or so ago.
When I was a wee tyke, my folks took me to the opening of the UGA Pharmacy School's then state-of-the-art new building. One of the machines on display was a low-production pill machine that was making buffered aspirin. It had a hopper and a press and a big wheel that could be either hand cranked or driven by direct or belt means

That would be interesting to see. Like I wrote, I'm sure this is a long since solved problem but I would have been worthless as the original inventor, because I have trouble imagining a way of moving a measured amount of powder which does not depend on the density being constant.

On the other hand, if you fluff the powder a bit, maybe it reaches a minimum density which you can rely on in production?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default New RTF

Went to Hobby Lobby today and saw a new Estes RTF rocket packaged the same as the Builder Series kits at Wal-Mart..........Sky Hawker.......$13.95
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Went to Hobby Lobby today and saw a new Estes RTF rocket packaged the same as the Builder Series kits at Wal-Mart..........Sky Hawker.......$13.95

I saw that, but when I saw RTF, that was the kiss of death for me, not to mention that it had a REALLY stupid name. I didn't even pick up the box for a closer look.

I did think of other similar names for it, and the ones I liked best were "Air Puker" and "Heavenly Hurler".

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
(snip)........I did think of other similar names for it, and the ones I liked best were "Air Puker" and "Heavenly Hurler".

LMAO!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Master Modeler

Okay....I've been off forum for a while but has anyone been purchasing the new Classic Series kits? I just picked up the Satellite Interceptor and Hornet today using 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby. I haven't opened them yet but.......

The quality of the material seems great. Tight grains on the balsa.

The parachute sucks. Nothing classic about a pre-assembled, non-printed orange parachute. I'm just glad I've got plenty of the "classic" Estes parachutes. But the header does say "Based on an original Estes design", not a re-issue of an original Estes design.

Still, I'm happy with my purchases. But will not be buying any without the 40% off coupons. Regular price for the Satellite Interceptor was $24.99 and $17.99 for the Hornet. They also had some kits based upon Centuri designs.....wish I could remember what they were called. Will probably try to pick those up next month.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Okay....I've been off forum for a while but has anyone been purchasing the new Classic Series kits? I just picked up the Satellite Interceptor and Hornet today using 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby. I haven't opened them yet but.......

The quality of the material seems great. Tight grains on the balsa.

The parachute sucks. Nothing classic about a pre-assembled, non-printed orange parachute. I'm just glad I've got plenty of the "classic" Estes parachutes. But the header does say "Based on an original Estes design", not a re-issue of an original Estes design.

Still, I'm happy with my purchases. But will not be buying any without the 40% off coupons. Regular price for the Satellite Interceptor was $24.99 and $17.99 for the Hornet. They also had some kits based upon Centuri designs.....wish I could remember what they were called. Will probably try to pick those up next month.

There's been a few build threads for them. There's a Photon Disruptor II thread that's been started recently and there have been a few S.I.'s built by folks here and on TRF. Most of the talk still centers on the anticipated Saturn V re-release, though.

The HL in Jackson didn't have any as of a couple weeks ago, so I don't have any yet. In fact, they don't have much of anything. There's a spot about 3 ft. wide with all of their rockets, motors, and accessories, with several empty spaces and never more than a couple of anything.

As for the chutes, at least they aren't generic white anymore. I hope they go back to printed chutes soon. The worst thing about the pre-made chutes Kody and I have used is the really poor quality shroud line. We've had them break even with gentle deployments. They frizz up, prickly seeds get stuck in them, etc.