Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
At yesterday's FVR launch, we tried a Q2G2 igniter in an Aerotech composite motor. The leads are just barely long enough for the 18x70 or 24x70 motors. I had to untwist the leads most of the way so that I could get the igniter all the way up the motor slot, but it lit instantly.

I'm pretty sure that the Q2G2 head is too big for the nozzles for at least some of these motors, but if it fits, give it a try. I think we now have a cheap reliable LEUP free igniter at least for small composite motors, including air starts.

Bill, please put on the wish list making a 6" or even 12" lead Q2G2 igniter.

FYI - We have an 8 inch version at DOT for EX number assignment right now. I can't tell you when we can legally ship them because DOT is backlogged, under-staffed ,and making no excuses for it today. Further, their approvals notification website is not working, so I have to keep calling to get updates....

Bill
Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocketeer "II"
FYI - We have an 8 inch version at DOT for EX number assignment right now. I can't tell you when we can legally ship them because DOT is backlogged, under-staffed ,and making no excuses for it today. Further, their approvals notification website is not working, so I have to keep calling to get updates....

Bill

Very good news Bill. I purchased four bulk packs of the Q2G2's during the last sale and I intend to try them in D12 clusters at a launch in two weeks. I would like to try the longer ones in small composite motors so looking forward to the 8 inch version.

Thanks!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Craftsman

Great news. I've started a 24mm reload with a Q2G2 after a copperhead failed to, but I had to lengthen the leads.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocketeer "II"

Bill

Great news. Thanks Bill.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Those Q2G2's should easily ignite composites where copperheads fail. Several years ago, at
a sport launch, one young rocketeer had many problems trying to launch a G powered reload
with the furnished copperhead. After several failures, I offered him to use one of my QuickBurst Hot Shot (which are nearly identical to the Q2G2's). Had no problem getting the
"match head" through the slot. One push of the launch button, and off she went!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Expanding the envelope, yesterday I successfully ignited an Aerotech E28 using the new Q2G2. I had to build the igniter into the motor as I assembled it, and even untwist it a bit to get the lead to fit in the slot. And I used half of the orange sleeve to insulate one of the igniter leads, as the blue insulation ended still inside the nozzle.

But it was instant on at ignition.

I don't think I'll EVER buy any other igniter, at least for any MR motor.

Another FVR member used one in a D21 after the copperhead popped. Again instant ignition.

I also burned up a VERY OLD E16-4 that ended up being an E16-8 and ejected just before impact of my Warthog. That motor was just too long for the Q2G2, so I used the supplied copperhead, and was very surprised when the old, slightly swollen propellant grain actually ignited. But when Bill releases the 8" leads, I'm sure those are going to work great in the larger composites.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Expanding the envelope, yesterday I successfully ignited an Aerotech E28 using the new Q2G2. I had to build the igniter into the motor as I assembled it, and even untwist it a bit to get the lead to fit in the slot. And I used half of the orange sleeve to insulate one of the igniter leads, as the blue insulation ended still inside the nozzle.

But it was instant on at ignition.

I don't think I'll EVER buy any other igniter, at least for any MR motor.

Another FVR member used one in a D21 after the copperhead popped. Again instant ignition.

I also burned up a VERY OLD E16-4 that ended up being an E16-8 and ejected just before impact of my Warthog. That motor was just too long for the Q2G2, so I used the supplied copperhead, and was very surprised when the old, slightly swollen propellant grain actually ignited. But when Bill releases the 8" leads, I'm sure those are going to work great in the larger composites.

Great info, Bob. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Great info, Bob. Thanks!

I second that!

Greg
Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

I thought I'd said this already, but don't see it anywhere...

IMHO the new Quest Q2G2 igniter is as big a jump forward from the Solar as the Solar was from bare nichrome. It is simply the best model rocket igniter ever made!

Bill, you're selling them in 6-packs and 24-packs. What about something bigger? A hundred or even more? What quantity do they come packaged when you get them from whoever makes them?

For club launches, especially when we do outreach, I'd like to have a large container of these to just give away to folks dealing with misfires. Of course, then we'd send them in your direction when they wanted to know where to get more of these great igniters
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
I thought I'd said this already, but don't see it anywhere...

IMHO the new Quest Q2G2 igniter is as big a jump forward from the Solar as the Solar was from bare nichrome. It is simply the best model rocket igniter ever made!

Bill, you're selling them in 6-packs and 24-packs. What about something bigger? A hundred or even more? What quantity do they come packaged when you get them from whoever makes them?

For club launches, especially when we do outreach, I'd like to have a large container of these to just give away to folks dealing with misfires. Of course, then we'd send them in your direction when they wanted to know where to get more of these great igniters

While this is a fantastic idea, you will need to print up CLEARLY WORDED individual instruction/warning sheets if you just hand them out, since the average flyer has an Estes controller and the continuity light will activate these igniters.

Again, I consider them to be the best igniter EVER. I'm handing them out myself at launches, but I make sure the people I hand them to are either using a Quest controller or our club system (which has a high output LED with crazy low current). I also have a Quest controller on the table to show and demo. They dig that crazy beeping.

Another solution: Buy a bulk amount of direct replacement LEDs and replace the lamps in Estes controllers for anyone who makes a small donation. And give them a handful of the Q2G2 igniters.

Anyone making a huge bulk buy of the direct replacement LEDs? I'll chip in.