Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Remember when you could get that stuff by the roll from HPR companies like LOC, THOY, and Magnum?

I still have some from a roll I bought from THOY over 30 years ago. Not much, but it is still good.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:18 AM
The_Ripper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I still have some from a roll I bought from THOY over 30 years ago. Not much, but it is still good.

The old stuff that I had from an LDRS years ago still worked fine too. I used so much of it back in the day. I’ll bet those Robby's Rockets cluster igniters I used had three or four one foot lengths all sheathed in teflon tubing burning up a few feet of the stuff with a single small H motor cluster flight.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

CENTURI "Pass-Port" Staging . . .

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PASS-PORT STAGING.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  305.5 KB  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:07 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
It wasn't Thermalite . . .

Centuri "Sure-Shot" igniters were Jetex wick with a piece of bare Nichrome wire wrapped around it.

FSI / Flight Systems igniters ( not the BP-100 Electrice Matches ) WERE Thermalite ( Nichrome wires spiralled around the wick, with reinforcing fibers ) !

Dave F.

Awesome. Thanks for posting that Centuri detail Dave.

I have both a two stage and a three stage design saved in RockSim with available parts in my bins so this information will be helpful. I have in mind an Estes E16-0 for the booster but I will need to sim both versions off of a 72” rod or rail to see if three stages will work. I will post about it to a new build thread (when I start again on this LT-125 based rocket project).
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Check out the gap staging on the new Boosted Bertha. It has vent holes in the booster’s centering rings to vent to the rear.

You can download the instructions from the Estes site from the Boosted Bertha page.

I built a Double Mini Max a few years ago that uses gap staging. I used the method of venting at the top of the booster, thru several small holes. They actually are drilled thru the coupler where it is glued into the booster. Staging an A10 to A10 looks almost instantaneous. The gap is maybe 1”, and I used a lengthened motor tube in booster to help direct the blast from booster motor into upper stage nozzle.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Banned

CENTURI "Sure-Shots" & Thermalite . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cent_ign1.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  48.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cent_ign2.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  53.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  centurisureshot.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  39.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20160112_143032.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  260.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  thermalite.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  37.1 KB  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
CENTURI "Sure-Shots" & Thermalite . . .

The photo identified as "1968 Sure Shots" is actually of 1973-era Sure Shot 'Dot' igniters, a redesigned Sure Shot developed when Centuri released their 13mm mini motors in early 1973.

The prior design Sure Shot (which was for 18mm motors) would not fit on the newly released mini motors, so they developed the ones shown in the sealed packet using a single tape disc (same size as parachute tape discs), which were the same diameter as the mini motors (.5 inch). Nice thing was, the tape disc size also fit the inside diameter of 18mm motors, so the new 'dot' ignitors were the new standard for both 13mm and 18mm motors.

The other photo showing an assembled Sure Shot actiually does appear to be an early version of the Sure Shot ignitor, probably from the late 60s.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 08-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

I also personally loved the Sure Shots. Whenever I did clusters back then, I would always use them.
The old Estes also worked good for me after a careful inspection and not damaging them during insulation. I set them in place and pushed wadding between the wires to hold them in place as was one of the recommendations back then. I believe the plastic plugs used today could damage a Estes igniter unknowing to the rocketeer. I do admit that I really don't have any problem with them but when it comes to clustering, I do have some concerns. Of coarse the new igniter can't really be trusted for clustering as compared to the old one.

But the Sure Shot was the better choice in my book anyway.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash

Of coarse the new igniter can't really be trusted for clustering as compared to the old one.

The new Estes starters can easily be enhanced. The clear coating is water-soluble. I soak them for about 30 minutes, and the coating turns gummy. It can easily be removed.

Then, they can be dipped in NC lacquer, giving them a nice little flame. I’ve got quite a few Quest Q2G2 igniters saved for clustering, but the starter could be enhanced further with a pyrogen mixed with NC lacquer and should be a very good cluster igniter. Firefox Enterprises in Idaho is a good source for a variety of pyrogens.

http://www.firefox-fx.com/ignition.htm

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 08-05-2019 at 12:54 AM.