Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face COX Saturn 5 4 Sale

You people are not going to believe the following story.

Today I was out and about with a friend, when as we were headed towards a BIG O Tires store so she could get her tires chnaged, I checked out the Happy's Hobbies store a block down the street.

I had been in this hobby shop a few times back around 1991-2 flying model rockets and they had a small Estes display.

Anyway, As I walked thru the front door, I immediately noticed a 3 Ft tall Saturn 5 sitting to my left as a Display Model for their slight model rocketry sales area.

I picked it up, immediately recognized that it was a 1970-71 COX Saturn 5, and looking at its end I noticed no residue.. it was clean! This model had never been launched! I also took off the top and noticed an 16-18" COX parachute, that looked as good as new!.

My Heart Racing, I remained calm and asked, 'Would you be interested in selling this"?

And a hobbyshop guy said, "Sure"; SO i then asked him how much? And he said, 'How about $8.00".....

Well, I obviously was trying best to not show any excitement while trying not to have a heartattack right then and there!

So I paid the $8.00 to the clerk, received my Receipt and she said, "Well I'm sorry I don't have a Bag big enough for it"; and I said, "thats right ok!" as I walked excitedly out of the store! Actually I was pretty cool and calm thruout!

So thats my story and I stickin' to it.

So, is anybody in the mood for a 70-71 Cox Saturn 5 as described? It is missing the two main 24" recovery chutes for the bottom section and the plastic motor clip. Remember, this model was designed to use (2) old COX D8-3 motors; but I'm sure that enterprising modelers that we have here can figure out how to alter it for 24 or 29 power with out too much trouble.

It has never been flown as far as I can tell. THere is some degree of UV radiation yellowing of the main white body tube . I had both a COX Little Joe 2 ( probably my all time favorite backyard flyer on an A8-3!) and a COX Saturn 1B back in the day......

Let me get this camera to working and I'll post some pics later.

I would prefer to sell it right here as I know most you guys, so somebody make me an offer I can't refuse?

EDIT Here are some pics from my only cellphone cam.... If interested I can do pics on request if you want to see a specific area.. If it doesn't sell here, I'll just place it on Ebay.....
I accept paypal

terry dean
barnar 16158
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  26-03-08_2248.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  320.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  26-03-08_2249.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  280.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  26-03-08_2250.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  312.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  26-03-08_2251.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  362.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  26-03-08_2252.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  383.7 KB  

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 03-26-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 AM
B.A.R.

Will you take $9.00 for it?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Distant cousin

Double your money. I'll go $16.00
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
You people are not going to believe the following story.

Today I was out and about with a friend, when as we were headed towards a BIG O Tires store so she could get her tires chnaged, I checked out the Happy's Hobbies store a block down the street.

I had been in this hobby shop a few times back around 1991-2 flying model rockets and they had a small Estes display.

Anyway, As I walked thru the front door, I immediately noticed a 3 Ft tall Saturn 5 sitting to my left as a Display Model for their slight model rocketry sales area.

I picked it up, immediately recognized that it was a 1970-71 COX Saturn 5, and looking at its end I noticed no residue.. it was clean! This model had never been launched! I also took off the top and noticed an 16-18" COX parachute, that looked as good as new!.

My Heart Racing, I remained calm and asked, 'Would you be interested in selling this"?

And a hobbyshop guy said, "Sure"; SO i then asked him how much? And he said, 'How about $8.00".....

Well, I obviously was trying best to not show any excitement while trying not to have a heartattack right then and there!

So I paid the $8.00 to the clerk, received my Receipt and she said, "Well I'm sorry I don't have a Bag big enough for it"; and I said, "thats right ok!" as I walked excitedly out of the store! Actually I was pretty cool and calm thruout!

So thats my story and I stickin' to it.

So, is anybody in the mood for a 70-71 Cox Saturn 5 as described? It is missing the two main 24" recovery chutes for the bottom section and the plastic motor clip. Remember, this model was designed to use (2) old COX D8-3 motors; but I'm sure that enterprising modelers that we have here can figure out how to alter it for 24 or 29 power with out too much trouble.

It has never been flown as far as I can tell. THere is some degree of UV radiation yellowing of the main white body tube . I had both a COX Little Joe 2 ( probably my all time favorite backyard flyer on an A8-3!) and a COX Saturn 1B back in the day......

Let me get this camera to working and I'll post some pics later.

I would prefer to sell it right here as I know most you guys, so somebody make me an offer I can't refuse?

EDIT Here are some pics from my only cellphone cam.... If interested I can do pics on request if you want to see a specific area.. If it doesn't sell here, I'll just place it on Ebay.....
I accept paypal

terry dean
barnar 16158

Terry,

Is this the 1st release or 2nd release of the original Sat V?

Robert
Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy
Double your money. I'll go $16.00

Skippy, the postage would kill you!!! Maybe $15.99, and that will help you pay the shipping???
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Terry,

Robert

I suspect it is the second release from 1990-1991.

It is still rare. Cox made less than 1000 of them!

Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Craftsman

I don't see a shock cord attached to the cat, does it just fall from the sky at ejection

I take it you just ain't interested in keeping it? For a cost of $8 it is hard not to try and make some money off it I suppose.
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Distant cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Skippy, the postage would kill you!!! Maybe $15.99, and that will help you pay the shipping???

Forget shipping, just point it south and let 'er rip!

Two or three flights should see it nearly here...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Terry,

Robert

Robert, I didn't know there were any releases. It has 5080 stamped into the top section. Does that help with ID'ing this?

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
BornAgainRocketeer and RC Pilot

Does the cat get angry when installing the engine?......

Jim