Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
I have added one of the new controllers to my buy list. Not much I will buy RTF, ARF or E2X though, I like to build.

Personally, I don't see the E2X kits as ARF so much as "no need to paint" models. In some cases, the builds are fairly substantial (as an example, look at the old Blue Ninja, or any of the copter designs) but the precolored body tubes and colored plastic fins and nose cones just mean you don't have to paint it - but you can if you want to! And some of these E2X kits make a great starting point for kitbashes. Heck - I've even been known to take an RTF rocket and rebuild it into something else (I bought a Scrappy for the nose cone for another project, so I put a Wizard nose cone on the Scrappy and painted it orange. It is no longer just another RTF rocket. And some of those RTF models come with silver foiled body tubes that can be fun to kitbash into something else. In fact, pretty much every RTF rocket I have purchased was to reuse the nose cone or fin can in a different project.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Junior Rocketeer

As an owner of 2 PS I aka "Power Plex" Launch Controllers, I am happy to see the new controller and in the photo it looks like the launch key is the same as the old one. I only have one key.

I use 2 NiMH in the old one and can launch clusters all day. I'm glad to see that I can use LiPOs in the new one.

If you are not familiar with them, LiPO's have come a long way in the last few years and are used heavily by the RC guys.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Master Modeler

I just want to state that this new launch controller isn't the massive brute from 20+ years ago. That unit would accept two 6-cell RC car battery packs and had enough combined power to launch just about anything and maybe even jump start your car.

The new unit is intended to introduce the new Hobbiest into a launch controller that is a step up from the Estes 4 AA battery system. I'ts intended use is more in the 3 to 4 igniters max, when using the optional battery, which means it's desiged to use only 10 Amps of current for short periods of time. When using the 6 C sized Alkaline batteries your only good for 2 or three igniters. You will however should be able to launch several hundred rockets with a single set of batteries. With the suppled two sets of micro clips you will also be able to drag race two rockets from a single controller along with attaching them to multiple igniter arrangments in a single rocket.

The new unit has a single safety key with LED for continuity, a button with audible buzzer for ARM, and second button for Launch.

John Boren
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Flying since 1977

Hey, I really like the Pro Series Launch Controller from 20 years ago. It will light anything that you can throw at it, including the infamous Copperhead and Tiger Tail ignitors. Personally, I think that it is the best launch controllers that Estes offered for sale. I still have mine.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Master Modeler

I agree with that statement. I love the one I have but seldom use it anymore since I fly most of my stuff with the club launch system these days, except of course the stuff I fly at Estes, which we use all of our current controllers to launch our test models with.

John Boren
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
Hey, I really like the Pro Series Launch Controller from 20 years ago. It will light anything that you can throw at it, including the infamous Copperhead and Tiger Tail ignitors. Personally, I think that it is the best launch controllers that Estes offered for sale. I still have mine.

Me Too.....
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

The PSII Launch Controller somewhat reminds me of the Estes E2 Launch Controller from twenty years ago.

Not too many folks remember that unit.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
The new unit has a single safety key with LED for continuity, a button with audible buzzer for ARM, and second button for Launch.

John Boren

Glad to see you brought that back. One of my favorite parts of the Command Control was between the beeping, the two buttons, and the LED read out, you really felt like you were in command.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
With the supplied two sets of micro clips you will also be able to drag race two rockets from a single controller along with attaching them to multiple igniter arrangements in a single rocket.
This feature should be emphasized somewhere, maybe even a special webpage. This was a VERY popular aspect of our club launches. Our controller could launch up to 24 rockets at once or any arbitrary set of pads. This is what's known as a "killer feature".

Jerry
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
This feature should be emphasized somewhere, maybe even a special webpage. This was a VERY popular aspect of our club launches. Our controller could launch up to 24 rockets at once or any arbitrary set of pads. This is what's known as a "killer feature".

Jerry
Heartily Seconded! Although G. Harry Stine recommended *against* it in his "Handbook of Model Rocketry" ("Don't fly salvos where two or more models are launched simultaneously; that's fireworks-type stuff."), the public -loves- to see them performed at demonstration launches! They are also popular with Scouts, 4-H Clubs, and other youth groups that have model rocketry programs.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 06-23-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.