Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Master Modeler

Default New Estes Astron II Launch Controller - first impressions

A Hunter's Choice launch set arrived at my door on Monday and I finally got a chance to open it up and take a look tonight. My main interest was to get a look at the new pad and controller - especially the latter - since I was one of the beta testers for the LED-based Electron Beam controller nearly two years ago now.

The Astron II controller is 9V battery-based and uses a white LED for continuity indication. It reminds me more of a smaller version of the original Solar launch controller from what - 1976 or so? - in layout.

It requires the same two-handed operation as EBs in recent years - using a similar tethered safety key with a bit of rubber tubing as the spring you must squeeze to maintain continuity.

Speaking of continuity - those of us who like to use Quest Q2G2 igniters have nothing to fear using this controller. I measured a measly 6.5 mA continuity current with a brand new Duracell 9V battery installed (the picture below was taken with another Duracell of undetermined condition that I had on my workbench.

The actual launch switch feels like a membrane type - it has not much travel and a definite snap action. It's clearly not just bending down a piece of sheet metal as in just about every handheld Estes launch controller all the way back to the original Electro-Launch.

The arrangement of that button and the continuity key and the shape of the unit feel far less awkward to use two-handed than the Electron Beam. I'll let some kids try it out and see what they think.

There's not much more to tell before I actually use it.....so more later.

Attached are a few pics.....

The black EB has one of those Pinball Life replacement LED lamps in it. The yellow EB is a recent one with a sealed-in lamp. Its batteries must be getting weak since it was under 200mA continuity current tonight (instead of more like 250 mA).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P1300017.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  36.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1300026.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  52.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1300027.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  48.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1300028.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  56.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P1300029.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  50.9 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Thanks for the report on this new product.

I have been meaning to pick up a Hunter's Choice launch set.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Thanks for the report on this new product.

I have been meaning to pick up a Hunter's Choice launch set.

Will you be getting an iPhone 5, iPad or iPod Touch so you can get and use the Estes app just released?

If not, I can let you drool on my iPhone 5 on Saturday.....
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Master Modeler

Bob,

You're welcome. With a little luck I can try it and the interesting new pad out this weekend and report.

Fred,

I gotta upgrade to iOS 6 first......been holding off. This may push me over.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Master Modeler

There is a thread on the other forum discussing the new pad and controller. What is a surprise is that the new pad does not have rod-tilting capability nor can it accept a 3/16 rod.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Master Modeler

True....but but it looks to me like the intent is that this setup (both the pad and the controller) is designed to be much less expensive to manufacture, which means it can be sold for less and maybe get out into more hands....so we can hook a some more folks into the hobby.

I thought about posting pics and more in that thread on TRF, but that will wait until I've field tested the things. All the discussion over there is based on looking at one in a box in a hobby shop, not actually using the thing.

The pad is very clever in how it goes together (and comes apart again) and can be packed almost as compactly as that little mini-pad with the wooden legs (which uses a half-length rod and is also not adjustable, but which works just fine).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
There is a thread on the other forum discussing the new pad and controller. What is a surprise is that the new pad does not have rod-tilting capability nor can it accept a 3/16 rod.

I explained that in my post in that other thread.

This pad is an improvement over the pad it actually replaces. it does not replace the normal Porta-Pad - it replaces the flimsy mini-pad with 3 wood dowel legs.

And that goofy plastic pad from years ago that originated with the Episode 1 rockets was unable to tilt and also had a half length launch rod like the wood dowel pad.

This pad is a vast improvment. Read my complete other post for more info.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
This pad ... replaces the flimsy mini-pad with 3 wood dowel legs.
I haven't been following this all that closely, but that was what I too surmised early on.

That said, what I sometimes get frustrated with is seeing folks pile on Estes for not doing things a certain way or not building certain kits. How many times have we seen somebody whining for a kit that's quite easy to clone?

Similarly, as far as pads and controllers go, it's almost a rite of passage for us old far...er...rocketeers to build our own pads. Then they work just like we want them and, if they don't, the only person to complain to will be the man/woman in the mirror

Controllers are a little more challenging, but, if it's too much trouble, there are some reputable 3rd party vendors for them. I think Doug Pratt frequently gets mentioned as making a good one.

I've personally never gotten around to making a controller, despite it being within easy reach for this electrical engineer. Instead, I've found that the old Estes and Quest controllers are very easy to upgrade to 12V with longer, heavier wires, so there's nothing compelling me to make one. The only thing I haven't done with my modified controllers is adapting the continuity circuits to not set off low-current ignitors.

Anyway, in the context of controllers and launch pads, even the higher end stuff at Estes is intended to meet a very low cost target. Many of the starter sets come with those two items, and thus the cost must be low. So folks should not expect the pads and controllers to be Cadillacs.

In short, if someone wants a better pad or controller, make one or buy one, 'cause you probably ain't gonna see a better one from Estes any time soon.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
All the discussion over there is based on looking at one in a box in a hobby shop, not actually using the thing.

True, I didn't use the new Astron II pad. However, I did remove it from the box and assemble it in order to get a good feel for it.

If you look at the retail price list in the middle of the 2013 Estes catalog:
Astron II launch pad, $16.99
Astron II launch controller, $18.99
Astron II launch controller & pad, $31.99
Porta-Pad II, $19.99
Electron Beam controller, $19.99
E launch controller, $27.49
E launch pad, $26.29

On the face of it, an Astron II setup is $8 cheaper than Electron Beam / Porta-Pad II. But, no one getting into the hobby buys pad & controller separately; they buy a launch set because it's a lot cheaper. So, for example, you can get a launch set like the Flash or Taser (electron beam, porta-pad II, rocket kit) for $26.49, or the Tandem-X (same stuff, but two rocket kits) for $32.79
The launch sets in the 2013 catalog with the Astron II pad & controller are the Hunters Choice for $39.99 or Atomic Sky for $34.99
Cheaper? Nope. If they actually were, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about them...

Estes #2464 Mini Engine Launch system for $14.99 (Electron Beam, mini pad with dowel legs) doesn't appear in the 2013 catalog, but it wasn't in the 2012 catalog either. Most people who buy this set never use the pad. They buy it because it gets them an extra/replacement Electron Beam for $5 less than buying an Electron Beam all by itself.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Master Modeler

Your points about the retail prices in the 2013 catalog are good ones.... and time will tell where those go. That said, "street price" will most likely be something else in the markets where this is headed. And one has to wonder, reading between the lines of posts from the Estes folks who have weighed in, if the EB/Porta Pad II combo isn't going to be going up in price in the near future.

Hunter's Choice is two E2X kits (like the Tandem-X) - one for 18mm motors, one for 13mm motors, FWIW. Neither of them is very exciting, though thanks to the nose cone not having a base, I will be able to fly altimeters in the fairly small payload section of the Magnum Load - something I like to do.

I've yet to see the new ones show up at any mass marketers. I've seen the Taser set as low as $16.95 in the not-too-distant past.

And before Fred points it out, Doug I'm sure you meant "launch set" rather than "starter set" as no motors are included....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE