Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Estes Porta Pad E question...

For the life of me, I can't find where my old Porta Pad is (or Big Foot launch Pad for that matter). The one that was so nicely kept inside the fishing tackle box that I had used for years (and contains untold wonders of ancient engines). I was desperate to find it, as I REALLY don't like the lightning bolt legs of the PP II and the PPE.

One thing I did find however were the ?clamps? that hold the launch rod to the Porta Pad (and the one for the Big Foot). I know that the PPE model doesn't support the 1/8" launch rod. However my old part does.

So, does anybody know if the old clamp is compatible with the new PPE launcher? I'm hoping that I won't have to mod it in the event that I do find my old launchers.

Thanks
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Default Ok, I've got my answer (and a new pad)

The answer is yes, the old swivel (aka clamp) will fit in the new PP E's base. However if left unmodified, the PP E's swivel will not easily be removed without disassembly.

The only modification needed is to sand the locking edges down/off, but this can lead to issues with the swivel being too easy to come out if lifted from it.

I think the solution is to attach a screw and a washer from underneath it that would be screwed into a hole drilled in the clamp's underside. Another modification would be to drill a hole in both swivel assemblies and one in the base that would allow them to be tied to it for loss prevention (not of the kind that I had in loosing the enter pad).

One crazy thing about the PP E that I have yet to figure out is why Estes didn't mold the entire product in black plastic, rather than black for the legs, white for the base, and silver for the swivel assembly. It makes no sense to me. Looks like my old Krylon paint for plastic has got another use.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.