Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Just went to the local supermarket.
No toilet paper.
Shelves look like Soviet era Moscow.

Random phony SNEEZIN' got people to back off quick.
My significant other thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, was just on my way back from my significant other (a briefer than we wanted ‘anniversary’ visit) and on my way home I stopped by the grocery store to see if I could get some more milk and bread. I had already stocked up modestly on other goods two weeks ago when I saw this ‘run’ was probably coming.

Well, the store shelves were empty of bread, milk, toilet paper, etc. Looked like things like cereal and other things were in decent shape. Lines long. And this started actually over the weekend. Glad I stocked up on some of the other things like TO, canned soups and meat, etc. a couple weeks ago.

As I got closer to the house I stopped at the convenience store at the top of the street. They DID have milk and bread there, so I grabbed some there. Was surprised to see they had any. If your main grocery store runs out of those things, maybe check the convenience store. A little more expensive, but it beats going hungry.

Everyone be safe. Looks like a good opportunity for some extended build periods at home, what with the social distancing stuff.

But, again, be safe, be patient with your fellow man, and help others where you can, if you can. This WILL pass...it may take some time, so just take it all one day at a time.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Old Submariner

That’s some sage advice, Earl.

As for me, I’m at Chicago’s O’Hare airport getting ready to fly to Raleigh NC on a job. It’s 1700 on a Monday at O’Hare and I’ve seen it busier than this at midnight!

I’m glad I got out of Canada on Friday!—I heard the border was closed today.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Don't know about the US, but in Canada everyone is stocking up on toilet paper. You literally can't find a roll anywhere!

I've always taken a contrarian approach...........I'm stocking up on beer.

When I was a bachelor and I occasionally ran out of TP (because they didn’t sell it at the liquor store) I would use a serrated bread knife and saw a roll of paper towels in half................that is, if I had paper towels. My first apartment I had as a civilian had an old 5.0 GPF toilet. You could have floated the Bismarck in the tank. It could almost flush a basketball!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
That’s some sage advice, Earl.

As for me, I’m at Chicago’s O’Hare airport getting ready to fly to Raleigh NC on a job. It’s 1700 on a Monday at O’Hare and I’ve seen it busier than this at midnight!

I’m glad I got out of Canada on Friday!—I heard the border was closed today.

I feel for you having to travel during times like these. Has there been any hint by your employer whether they will maybe be required to shut down operations? In any event, travel safe and do whatever you can to protect yourself. We want all YORFers (is that a term?...Well, I guess it is now!) to be safe and well.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-17-2020, 10:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Those old 5.0GPF toilets almost never had a three-flushr, nor even a two-flusher.

Another idiotic phase-out as a result of useless weenie-green enviro-WHACKOS.
For personal use, ALL 'environmentalism" should be a personal CHOICE.
One should be just as free to be NOT GREEN or green with what THEY own, regardless of "indirect" baloney.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-17-2020, 12:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Just went to the local supermarket.
No toilet paper.
Shelves look like Soviet era Moscow.

Random phony SNEEZIN' got people to back off quick.
My significant other thought it was hilarious.

Mine just rolls her eyes when I do that now. I wonder if I have done it too much lately...…..
Old 03-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

The Russians launched a new nav sat yesterday. I'm surprised the world isn't in an uproar saying it will take the corona virus with it, where it will mutate in space and fall back to earth creating a zombie apocalypse.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:48 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Those old 5.0GPF toilets almost never had a three-flushr, nor even a two-flusher.

Another idiotic phase-out as a result of useless weenie-green enviro-WHACKOS.
For personal use, ALL 'environmentalism" should be a personal CHOICE.
One should be just as free to be NOT GREEN or green with what THEY own, regardless of "indirect" baloney.

There is good news. My daughter and husband are builders in Denver, so they have to install low GPF toilets.The secret is a high rate of flow, which usually means a large opening. Recently we changed to a new Kohler 1.28 GPF toilet which has what looks like a small storage tank above the tank drain hole. When flushed, its like a mini compressor is driving the flow of water. The really cheap low GPF toilets have standard openings and flappers, and will never “do the job”.
I bought one on sale at Lowe’s for about &175 almost a year ago. They sell for about $225 regularly, as I recall. Some are incredibly expensive. You just need to shop around.

I wish you all a successful flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  36A19E6F-49AF-4ED7-9B51-7286981197A8.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  250.9 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
There is good news. My daughter and husband are builders in Denver, so they have to install low GPF toilets.The secret is a high rate of flow, which usually means a large opening. Recently we changed to a new Kohler 1.28 GPF toilet which has what looks like a small storage tank above the tank drain hole. When flushed, its like a mini compressor is driving the flow of water. The really cheap low GPF toilets have standard openings and flappers, and will never “do the job”.
I bought one on sale at Lowe’s for about &175 almost a year ago. They sell for about $225 regularly, as I recall. Some are incredibly expensive. You just need to shop around.

I wish you all a successful flush.

These are some crappy posts.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Apollo Nut

I posted this on March 12 from a reliable source at the time, but I cannot remember the exact source:

==================
“First, the numbers to date: More than 1,300 US cases were reported as of Thursday, with beachhead community outbreaks in Washington state, California, and New York. Cities like Atlanta, Miami, Boston, and Denver are reporting dozens of cases each. Total case numbers have grown at a rough average rate of 30% a day in the US since the last week of February.

At that rate, the US will have more than 8,000 cases by next week, 40,000 cases in two weeks, and nearly 150,000 cases by the end of the month.”
==================

While I have been ‘sober’ about this outbreak from the beginning, I did not really want to believe the severity of the math in the numbers presented above. In particular, the 30% rough average rate of increase per day.

That was just five days ago and sadly it seems, we ARE seeing that rough 30% increase in rates in the country. By about this Thursday the country will probably top 10,000 cases, and while we are beginning to make some social changes, those measures are going to take some time and EVERYBODY has to participate.

And for a while longer, that 30% rate will continue. So, by the time we have 10,000 cases, that will possibly mean 3000 more cases the day after that and just growing from there. See how the growth rates starts to get down right outrageous?

Do what YOU can to help stop or slow the spread...if not for you, then do it for others.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions