Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Craftsman

Default Inflation and Buying Rocket Supplies

In July, I bought some Brodak Sanding Sealer and thinner.

I ordered some more for winter last week and the price has gone up $2 a can on both (16 oz sealer and 32 oz thinner).
Old 09-22-2021, 10:56 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Not surprised.
A lot of modeling supplies have went way up in price over the last couple years.
Fortunately, I have a lifetime supply of original Pactra Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat and Sanding Sealer.
I even have cans of rare Pactra Prep which can be used in substitute for the Fillercoat.
Have plenty of Clear also, which can be converted to Fillercoat with addition of Mictoballoons filler.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-22-2021, 05:30 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
In July, I bought some Brodak Sanding Sealer and thinner.

I ordered some more for winter last week and the price has gone up $2 a can on both (16 oz sealer and 32 oz thinner).

Get used to it. When the government pumps trillions of dollars into the economy with no corresponding increase in economic output, it becomes simple supply and demand. More dollars chasing the same amount of product means the price will increase.
I'm just praying that doesn't become the double digit inflation we had in the late '70's and early '80's.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:39 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
Get used to it. When the government pumps trillions of dollars into the economy with no corresponding increase in economic output, it becomes simple supply and demand. More dollars chasing the same amount of product means the price will increase.
I'm just praying that doesn't become the double digit inflation we had in the late '70's and early '80's.

Yeah, I remember those years vividly, as I was still in high school and just starting college. The meager hobby funds available during those years got stretched further and further with every new rocketry catalog that came out showing larger and larger price increases on kits, motors and everything else.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, I remember those years vividly, as I was still in high school and just starting college. The meager hobby funds available during those years got stretched further and further with every new rocketry catalog that came out showing larger and larger price increases on kits, motors and everything else.

Earl

I'd just started as an engineer at Boeing. It was pretty depressing that you could get a 10% for the year and still fall behind...
Old 09-22-2021, 09:19 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

One more reason that there be a law FORCING wage increases to be mandatory increased to the amount of inflation. A RAISE is only that ABOVE that amount. Most years when in the Auto industry I have gotten above that. Only one year without a merit increase, but that was industry-wide due to pandemic.
The highest yearly increase I have ever gotten was about 45%+ Bonus. That had special circumstances surrounding it, but has never went down, thankfully.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-23-2021, 07:18 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer

There was one good thing (only one) about inflation during that era. I had a very small savings account with interest that climbed up to nearly 20%. It was set up to send me a check every quarter. I was raking in the dough!!! Well, for a farm kid that never even got an allowance, it seemed like a lot! Sadly, they won't do that again now that I actually have enough money in savings to make a difference.