Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > Semroc Builders Resource
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2020, 12:22 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Golden Scout

Title: Golden Scout

Kit number: KV-4

Background Information brief: “Sky of Gold” 50th anniversary

Designer: Vern Estes (Estes)

Release Date: 02/26/2008

In Production: 2008-2014

Requested attachments: (STILL NEEDED)

Balsa fin AND OTHER PARTS scan

Decal scan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Golden Scout-sm.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  25.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Semroc_Golden_Scout.pdf (765.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: rkt Semroc_Golden_Scout.rkt (38.6 KB, 67 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 04-10-2021, 12:51 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I have this decal scan. Unfortunately, I don't have the scale. But, I never attached the decal so I might still have it around. If I find it, I'll repost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Golden Scout Decal.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  28.9 KB  
Old 01-31-2023, 04:28 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I know this is WAAAAAY late, I have one in the bag, unopened. Hate to open it just to show the parts tho.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:06 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk

So where are the scans of decal etc.? I don't believe he asked if it was available.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:55 PM
Sometimes collector

Announcement in Vendors Section 3/1/2008:
Carl@semroc
Golden Scout Announcement - Revised
We are honored and privileged to announce the Golden Scout model rocket kit in honor of Vern and Gleda Estes in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of their "little venture" that changed the world. Their continued support and promotion of the hobby for those 50 years has set the Gold Standard for the entire industry.

The original Scout, designed by Vern in 1960, has been reproduced and was released as the Golden Scout by SEMROC. To participate in the “Sky of Gold” event, build your Golden Scout, paint it gold, apply the Flight Number decal, and fly it sometime during the month of July 2008 to join modelers all over the world in this celebration.

The cost of the Golden Scout is $10.00 per kit and it is Catalog No. KV-4. It includes all parts, instructions, and a unique Flight Number decal. After you have flown your Golden Scout in July, go online at www.semroc.com/skyofgold and register your flight. You can also register your flight by email or mail.

To commemorate your participation in the Sky of Gold, Vern and Gleda have graciously agreed to mail signed certificates from their home in Colorado. Colorado. Vern and Gleda live in nearby Canon City and will personally take them to Penrose to receive the Penrose postmark. The Golden Scouts will be available with Flight Numbers until July 1. Some of the lower numbers have been reserved for event planners, media, and volunteers. The Flight Numbers will be issued on a first come, first serve basis, as they are received.

Ken Montanye, the "Rocket Doctor", having provided the original concept and many additional inspirations, will be working with us to help coordinate and promote this Historic event.

The original proposal to have a mass launching during NARAM-50 has been set aside to allow many more individuals, sections, and clubs to participate.

The web address is http://semroc.com/skyofgold/ and additional information will be available there.

Join us and be part of the "Sky Of Gold" this July to honor Vern and Gleda.

Announcement in Vendors Section 3/13/2008:
In addition to the Golden Scout official announcement at NARCON 2008, we will also bring free commemorative Aerobee-Hi kits for the first 100 customers there or online.

After many years of holding the Centaur and Arcon-Hi two-stage kits, we decided to finally release them because of the resurgence in requests for two-stage kits.

The Golden Scouts and Sky of Gold have taken much of our time this winter, but we expect even more great releases in time for NARAM.

Hope to see many of you at NARCON this weekend. For more details, visit semroc.com

NARCON 2008 product announcement:

The Retro-Repro™ Aerobee-Hi™m is our NARCON 2008 Commemorative kit. The first 100 customers at NARCON 2008 and online received a free Aerobee-Hi™. The original Aerobee-Hi by Model Missile, Inc. was produced 50 years ago on April 12, 1958. Semroc salutes the historic event and its impact on our hobby.

The Golden Scout™ was officially announced at NARCON 2008, but has been selling since March 1. The Golden Scout™ commemorates the 50 years of dedication to model rocketry by Vern and Gleda Estes who started their little venture that changed the world in the spring of 1958. The Golden Scout™ is designed to be an integral part of the Sky of Gold this July.

Two new Retro-Repro™ two-stage kits have finally been released.
They have been on hold because of the uncertainty of smaller booster engines. Many have asked for these two of Centuri's most loved multi-stage kits. The Centaur™ was first released in 1965 and sported the Centuri trademark double swept fins and a roomy payload section. It can be flown as a single stage or two-stage rocket. The Centaur™ is available online for $19.50 and at a growing number of hobby stores.

The Arcon-Hi™ was also first released in 1965. The upper stage was a 1:6 semi-scale model of the Atlantic Research Arcon sounding rocket. The booster was added for two-stage action, but was not a scale model of any booster produced for the Arcon. The Arcon-Hi™ is available online for $18.50 and at a growing number of hobby stores.

*Bagged kit photos by JAL3 used by permission.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  F4B90FBD-4B27-4958-A643-4F35695DB19F.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  83.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EFA853E3-108D-4B6B-A42C-642ADED26FE1.jpeg
Size:  564.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F1814C56-EF60-4AA9-9777-DA74395CBA6F.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  314.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7835894E-1548-443A-880F-355C343A5547.jpeg
Size:  567.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  9ADD0B5F-4555-4BE0-BC36-939E5BB15938.jpeg
Size:  588.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BC5982A5-3192-4371-AF0E-9C85B80A5148.jpeg
Size:  39.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F79E8B99-ACF5-4E28-99CA-DDF16CCDAB15.jpeg
Size:  619.5 KB  

Last edited by 5x7 : 03-26-2023 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:49 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Doh!
Old 03-27-2023, 09:37 AM
Sometimes collector

Balsa fin kit parts laid out scan

Decal scan with ruler

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:03 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7

Balsa fin kit parts laid out scan

Decal scan with ruler

Any help is appreciated.

Pretty sure I have an open kit somewhere. Problem is I just had back surgery, which limits my mobility. My computer and scanner are piled in a corner and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get everything hooked up, dig out the kit and scan the parts and decals. More to follow.

Sean
SAM #0031
Old 04-29-2023, 06:12 PM
Sometimes collector

Your health is more important- get well soon.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Pretty sure I have an open kit somewhere. Problem is I just had back surgery, which limits my mobility. My computer and scanner are piled in a corner and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get everything hooked up, dig out the kit and scan the parts and decals. More to follow.

Sean

Yes, get well soon. Hope it heals well.

Had a very badly ruptured lumbar disc back in '14 and had to have surgery. They worked miracles. I'd have been permanently disabled if it had not worked. Still some numbness in my right foot and calf from time to time (right leg was heavily impacted from the rupture...I almost had to drag it behind me after the rupture and the pain was off. the. charts.). Out of work for four months. But, recovered and got back to work. I still take it kind of easy on some manual labor stuff around the house and try to stay this side of stupid when lifting things, but am not overly limited in what I can do. Still some residual 'things' down my right leg at times, but way, way, way better than before the surgery.

Take care...be well!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970