Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Sometimes collector

I went to put the Trajector away and noticed a fin was lifted slightly off the airframe surface at the front. I assume it was the fin the cord was hung on after deployment. I probably should have just pushed it back in but decided to pull on it and it popped out with a little effort. I checked the next one and was able to pull it out also. The third came next. There was a skin of motor tube glassine on the fin roots, the old epoxy did cure, but had minimal adhesion to the plastic. I was able to easily pick the epoxy off the fins and the motor mount through the slot. I was wary of using CA because I didn' know if I could get the fin in before it would freeze. I have West Systems epoxy that is 10 years old, and the curative has turned deep purple but I have read it is still OK. I had not washed the parts last time, so I washed the fins and sanded or scraped the plastic areas that would be in contact. I used a scale and weighed out a little curative which came out to 1.1g, so I mixed in 5.5g of resin and hoped for the best. The launch lugs on this are plastic but have a gluing surface the conforms to the body tube. I used a dowel and dribbled some West inside to make interior fillets to try to keep those on. If the West systems cures properly, if a fin comes out it will probably have part of the motor mount attached. I have spent a couple of hours more on this rocket than I thought. John Boren described building a PSII E2X flight ready in 30 mins. That might be possible using all CA, but not with the decals. I'm not sure what to do with the old 20 minute epoxy, maybe I can use it up as a substitute for wood glue since it did adhere to he paper mount. So this this is finished...again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  3FB4B2E0-11F8-4058-93E6-F4DEA7DE3273.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  1.27 MB  

Last edited by 5x7 : 06-20-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:47 PM
Sometimes collector

Sunday was going to have good weather for a local club launch. They have a rail so to get better velocity at the end of the guide, I decided to add rail buttons. I had to pick one of the two remaining available sides. I left the Trajector decals that reads bottom to top as the rocket sits on the rail, untouched. I drilled undersized holes in the airframe about 8 inches apart, on the O in Trajector and in the middle of one of the Estes decals. Location choices for the lower button are very limited because of the plastic centering ring and the booster stage that can be used. I threaded in the bolt and then carefully trimmed the cardboard ridge that forms back to the airframe surface. The upper bolt ends up inside the open airframe with the recovery gear, so that was trimmed back with a Dremel before installing. I used a drop of slow CA in the holes before final installation.

When I got in my car in the morning to go, I checked my email and the farmer was plowing so the launch was cancelled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  21ED2E0A-B8D6-4ED8-8466-0DB52A39596D.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  1.97 MB  
Old 07-14-2020, 06:20 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Sunday was going to have good weather for a local club launch. They have a rail so to get better velocity at the end of the guide, I decided to add rail buttons. I had to pick one of the two remaining available sides. I left the Trajector decals that reads bottom to top as the rocket sits on the rail, untouched. I drilled undersized holes in the airframe about 8 inches apart, on the O in Trajector and in the middle of one of the Estes decals. Location choices for the lower button are very limited because of the plastic centering ring and the booster stage that can be used. I threaded in the bolt and then carefully trimmed the cardboard ridge that forms back to the airframe surface. The upper bolt ends up inside the open airframe with the recovery gear, so that was trimmed back with a Dremel before installing. I used a drop of slow CA in the holes before final installation.

When I got in my car in the morning to go, I checked my email and the farmer was plowing so the launch was cancelled.
All dressed up and nowhere to go ...
Probably a good idea you trimmed that one rail button bolt back. With my luck a chute line would snag on that bolt inside the tube on the first flight!
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
All dressed up and nowhere to go ...
Probably a good idea you trimmed that one rail button bolt back. With my luck a chute line would snag on that bolt inside the tube on the first flight!

I agree, the bolts I have would leave nearly a 1/4" inside so no go...I put a homemade nomex heatshield in the rocket, so nothing can snag, or that won't come all the way out. Hopefully enough of the bolt was left to keep it on.