Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Default Classic Decal sources

Are there any emergent or reborn sources for decals? Getting back into scale after a lot of years and looking for sources. I suppose this makes me a BABAR.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 03-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Dazed and Confused

Tango Papa - often busy flying real jets
Stickershock - vinyl
Do it yourself - can't print white or metallic, and using white decal paper sucks
Sandman - not printing but has a few decals leftover

If you peek at the Cantina, he is playing with screenprinting, but nothing is available.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Stickershock - vinyl
Do it yourself - can't print white or metallic, and using white decal paper sucks

If you peek at the Cantina, he is playing with screenprinting, but nothing is available.

I’ve done Stickershock down to BT-60, and would probably go smaller, even down to BT-50. At BT-60 they look great, and not too thick. On smaller models they might look too thick. I’d recommend anyone wanting to use them on smaller rockets just contact Mark Hayes and he can advise. His website has some great pictures of his work.

I’ve posted this before, but here is my Estes STM-012 that I bashed into a bigger version of a Bandit (sort of). I had Mark upscale the Bandit decals from BT-55 to BT-60.

Finally, perhaps Gord will chime in, but I thought he could print black-only decals, so decals like Goblin decals perhaps could be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  A950B522-9EED-423D-987A-7DF650D1D287.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.89 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Ive used Bedlam Creations for water slide with good success. You buy the page so fit as many decals as you can on it.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Stickershock - vinyl
I've been wrestling with redrawing the decals for the Estes Hawkeye (see attached) for my 1.91X Semroc/Centuri ST-10 upscale, but the white sections have me somewhat stumped.

Because $ is pretty tight just now, I don't know if I can justify vinyl costs to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Comments, anyone?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Hawkeye decal 100X est0873f.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  206.4 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Master Modeler

Since my daughter hasn't gotten back to me with help on setting up the store on the starportsagitta.net site, I haven't really been able to take orders yet. However,
I am capable of screen printing water slide decals. These are not the printer sheet decals with the film covering the entire sheet. Also, printing in white, orange and certain metallics is also possible

That being said, I can and will run a set of decals with the following stipulations:

1) I do not have a large library of designs for existing rocket kits. If I can get a scan of a previous design, I can enlarge or decrease the scale as needed. Original artwork would need to be provided in a scalable vector (.svg) file

2) Time is not an issue. Remember: cheap; great work; fast. pick two out of three. Once the order is received, 3-4 weeks for delivery.

3) the decals will fit on an 8½" x 11" sheet. I can do multiple sheets, but that is the only sheet size I have on hand. Larger decals may be possible depending on whether I can find stock.

4) additional restrictions may apply

Email me at sales@sagittarockets.com an email or phone number and I will contact as soon as I can.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
I've been wrestling with redrawing the decals for the Estes Hawkeye (see attached) for my 1.91X Semroc/Centuri ST-10 upscale, but the white sections have me somewhat stumped.

Because $ is pretty tight just now, I don't know if I can justify vinyl costs to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Comments, anyone?

need a ruler in the scan

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Since my daughter hasn't gotten back to me with help on setting up the store on the starportsagitta.net site, I haven't really been able to take orders yet. However,
I am capable of screen printing water slide decals. These are not the printer sheet decals with the film covering the entire sheet. Also, printing in white, orange and certain metallics is also possible

That being said, I can and will run a set of decals with the following stipulations:

1) I do not have a large library of designs for existing rocket kits. If I can get a scan of a previous design, I can enlarge or decrease the scale as needed. Original artwork would need to be provided in a scalable vector (.svg) file
Bernard,

Thanks for the timely response. My main vector drawing program for years has been Paint Shop Pro, but it doesn't have the .svg format for a "Save As" option. It looks like I'd need to start using Inkscape for that, since I'm too cheap to pop for an Adobe Illustrator subscription.

Quote:
2) Time is not an issue. Remember: cheap; great work; fast. pick two out of three. Once the order is received, 3-4 weeks for delivery.

3) the decals will fit on an 8½" x 11" sheet. I can do multiple sheets, but that is the only sheet size I have on hand. Larger decals may be possible depending on whether I can find stock.

Email me at sales@sagittarockets.com an email or phone number and I will contact as soon as I can.
All of those are reasonable conditions.

Quote:
need a ruler in the scan
Easy to do with a new scan. Tougher to add a ruler to an existing scale (but still possible).
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

This all sounds fairly promising. Can you give a ballpark figure of about how much a typical sheet of decals might cost? I understand that might depend on a number of variables, but at least a rough estimate or ‘range’ of cost?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-08-2020, 09:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
This all sounds fairly promising. Can you give a ballpark figure of about how much a typical sheet of decals might cost? I understand that might depend on a number of variables, but at least a rough estimate or ‘range’ of cost?

Earl

My original instinct is to quote an awesomely exorbitant number , however too often such sarcasm and humor is misinterpreted as an actual number and discourages the free exchange of trade.

Let's just do some straight assuming. I get usable, correct scale artwork; there are two colors (non-metallic); the decals take a half sheet (5½" x 11"±) and it is a design which I may be able to sell additional sheets for in the next year or so, I would say less than ten dollars.

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina