Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2020, 03:11 PM
rocket dinosaur

Default The Coming End to Model Rocket History as we ALL know it

In 10 years if it takes that long, everybody will be able to afford a combo machine ( a Star Trek replicator) that can basically make whatever they want. Pick a model rocket from a catalog online , and have it 3D Printed/LaserCut/CNC Machined/Hot wire Cut/Laser Engraved/Painted and RTF and then you select the engine and the combo 3D Printer/Laser Cutter/Hot Wire Cutter/CNC Machiner/Laser Engraver will make your engine for you.

IF I was Estes I would create .stl (or 3DMax) files for everything they ever created and sold..... You know somebody somewhere right now is creating a digital .drm for these kind of files so everybody will have to buy them.

Terry
Old 12-16-2020, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
IF I was Estes I would create .stl (or 3DMax) files for everything they ever created and sold..... You know somebody somewhere right now is creating a digital .drm for these kind of files so everybody will have to buy them.

Terry

I can see the 3-D printed "Astron Birdie" now . . .

Dave F.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Mildly Insane

We still have a way to go before someone can download an stl file and print it with zero issues. Once 3D printers have the standardization and repeatability of something like a laser document printer, then we'll see a disruption. Even then, it'll take some time before the devices are truly prolific enough to make an impact on vendors. In 5 to 10 years we'll have the printers that can have zero issue prints without tweaks. Then another 5 to 10 years before every house has one.

Last few years I've been thinking about getting one but I'd want one of the resin based printers and I'm just not finding the justifications for putting out $200+ for a limited number of projects.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
We still have a way to go before someone can download an stl file and print it with zero issues. Once 3D printers have the standardization and repeatability of something like a laser document printer, then we'll see a disruption. Even then, it'll take some time before the devices are truly prolific enough to make an impact on vendors. In 5 to 10 years we'll have the printers that can have zero issue prints without tweaks. Then another 5 to 10 years before every house has one.

Last few years I've been thinking about getting one but I'd want one of the resin based printers and I'm just not finding the justifications for putting out $200+ for a limited number of projects.

Yes, right now you have to spend thousands for a printer that still needs some TLC to print well (like Boyce Aerospace's printers).
For the rest of us, we spend what we can, then the first thing we have to do is use the printer to print parts for the printer itself to make it work better. That by itself says we have a ways to go before we have laser printer simplicity on the user end.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Master Modeler

Heck, I would rather spend my money buying more OOP kits. Oh wait, I already did that and now I have a lot of vintage rockets to build.