Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 08:19 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
AC supply is full of dead pages. The new rocket has the same name but is a completely different rocket.

https://www.target.com/p/astrocam-v...et/-/A-79405312
Thank you--Ah, that makes more sense (I had the feeling that the AC Supply listing wafted out of the "Time Tunnel," somehow... :-) ). That new digital camera nose cone would be nice for an updated "Soaring Eagle" or "Scissor-Wing SST" boost-glider clone, too.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-31-2020, 08:59 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

It seemed to still be ascending a little at ejection on the B6-4. The rocket is obviously a little lighter than I thought it would be with all the plastic parts.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 AM
Sometimes collector

I bet the Q-jet b4-4 will be a good choice for it.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It seemed to still be ascending a little at ejection on the B6-4. The rocket is obviously a little lighter than I thought it would be with all the plastic parts.

I agree with 5x7 about the efficacy of the Quest Q-Jet B6-4. Also--watching...BEC? hooking up the igniter got me wondering...might it help if the jet deflector was, via one ignition lead, "grounded to" (made part of, that is) the ignition circuit? Just as some circuits in cars use the metal body as a "reservoir of electrons to push" (chassis ground radio transmitters also do this), the launch pad's metal jet deflector could likewise provide a reservoir of electrons.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
This video is straight off the camera card with no editing, no processing of any kind (except whatever YouTube did to it).

Hey that is quite serviceable. I hope it sells well and attracts some new folks to the hobby.

I have never flown with a camera, really need to try it sometime.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

Several things:

Jason - Yes, it IS BT-50. The body tube is pearly white (like Alpha VI) and is the same part as used on the Ghost Chaser. I'm actually thinking the nose cone/camera would be fun on a Multi-Roc....

5x7 - I will get to Q-Jets and you're right, the B4-4 might be a good choice.

Neil - I haven't flown a camera in several years and yes, it is not bad at all. I did some casting around the interwebs looking for this camera thinking, as Roy does, that it must be an off-the-shelf item, but I haven't yet found anything as small or with the ability to take a microSD memory card and anywhere close to the price of the whole set from Estes/Target.

Everyone - as I said, I put six flights on it yesterday. Only one of them worked entirely as intended, including having the camera looking down on descent. That's the one I posted to YouTube last night. Three of the others had tangles that resulted in the camera looking somewhere else on descent. This was probably due in part to me adding a swivel to the 'chute attach point and in part to me putting a FlightSketch mini in a pouch and hanging that from the base of the nose cone (for those of you who watched the video, this is the bluish thing that is very close in the descent). Both of these were additional things to get tangled in shroud lines and the string that runs to the tip of the nose cone so it can hang with the camera looking down under 'chute.

The last two flights both failed to eject the chute all the way and the second of these two landings (from 665 feet) crimped the body tube pretty badly about 2 1/2 inches down from the top, where I'd probably weakened it some putting in the static ports for the altimeter. So I will need to do some repair/replacement before flying it again, or I'll need to take the nose cone/camera to another model, like the Multi-Roc or one of my Nova Paylaoders. I'm still trying to figure out why I had two ejection failures (one C5-3 from the recent re-release and one C6-5 that was only a year old) after four good flights. I don't think it was the motors.

The video from those flights is kind of hard to watch after apogee .

I'll probably have more to say about this later on.

Speaking of microSD cards and capacity: The six flights from yesterday take up about 1/4th of the 16 Gb card that is supplied with the camera. Of course flying on my own like I was, the longest recording time was about 6 minutes. This was one where I left the camera running until I'd got back to my pad/field box.

And even though I was out in the field for around an hour and a half and the camera's quoted run time is ~40 minutes on a charge I had no issues with that. There appears to be a fairly short self-time-out if the camera is in standby. It's one minute. If the camera is on, but not recording, it shuts itself off after one minute. This made my six flights possible on one charge with no real worry.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 08-01-2020 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added time-out value now that I've actually timed it
Old 07-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Sometimes collector

You got me thinking that this NC will fit on a mongoose, which should provide some fun staging video. My daughter did a science experiment with a mongoose a while back and used the payload from a Nova Payloader, with a keychain cam strapped to the CG. The nosecone of the AC is perfect for that setup, and it will do better with an integrated camera.

If you do it single stage again, can you try a B6-6?
Old 07-31-2020, 02:01 PM
Master Modeler

It should fit a Mongoose, yes.

On B6-6....I will have to see what a Quest B6-4 does first. I expect that an Estes B6-6 will be too long a delay. But it's worth a thought.

Considering the thing weighs a little over two ounces without a motor (2.16 ounces in this particular case) it went a little higher on all three motor types I tried than I initially expected. There is something to be said for those nice thin fins.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-31-2020, 03:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
The last two flights both failed to eject the chute all the way and the second of these two landings (from 665 feet) crimped the body tube pretty badly about 2 1/2 inches down from the top, where I'd probably weakened it some putting in the static ports for the altimeter. So I will need to do some repair/replacement before flying it again, or I'll need to take the nose cone/camera to another model, like the Multi-Roc or one of my Nova Paylaoders.

I haven’t had much interest in the Multi-Roc until now - it seems like the perfect carrier for the new AC nose cone/cam unit. Great info BEC - thanks!
Old 07-31-2020, 03:44 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
It should fit a Mongoose, yes.

On B6-6....I will have to see what a Quest B6-4 does first. I expect that an Estes B6-6 will be too long a delay. But it's worth a thought.

Considering the thing weighs a little over two ounces without a motor (2.16 ounces in this particular case) it went a little higher on all three motor types I tried than I initially expected. There is something to be said for those nice thin fins.

It looks like it was only about 20 degrees off vertical when it ejected. To me flights that eject a little bit over the top are more satisfying. I am sure you have a better feel since you flew it so many times.