Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Default original Astron Scrambler.

ok, for the gurus out there.......

was looking through some of the catalogs on Ninfinger this afternoon, and came acrossed / looking at the Scrambler ( one of my all-time faves).

Notably, this version ( 1969 catalog - http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...a/69est014.html ), did not have a clear payload, which caught my eye .

were these released like this, I wasn't aware of that ( my bad ) .

if so, is the decor on the payload a decal or 'catalog custom ' ?

Nosecone used ? ( same ? ) , any pics in color, lol......

sorry for the millions of questions, you know it goes when something whoosh's though my empty head, lol

~ AL
Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
ok, for the gurus out there.......

was looking through some of the catalogs on Ninfinger this afternoon, and came acrossed / looking at the Scrambler ( one of my all-time faves).

Notably, this version ( 1969 catalog - http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...a/69est014.html ), did not have a clear payload, which caught my eye .

were these released like this, I wasn't aware of that ( my bad ) .

if so, is the decor on the payload a decal or 'catalog custom ' ?

Nosecone used ? ( same ? ) , any pics in color, lol......

sorry for the millions of questions, you know it goes when something whoosh's though my empty head, lol

~ AL

whoops, my bad ( moreso ) , just saw where it DOES mention the see-through payload, , but this is still the only one I;ve seen with the decor on the payload section .

preproduction sample ? unreleased decal ?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I do NOT see any sort of a decal on the payload, unless you are referring to the apparent black stripe at the top, which is just the nose cone shoulder painted black then slid into the PST-65 tube. The only thing I see different in this '69 version compared to the later ones is the shoulder of the TA-6065 that is in the payload section was NOT painted black; that IS different from all the later pics I have seen from the catalogs from '71 through the production end in '77.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Old-Timer

Default Nose Sections Available

It seems I have two complete payload sections (balsa nose cone, clear [Very Flimsy] payload tube & balsa adapter[to BT-60]). I am willing to part with these at a reasonable price. Prefer one to a customer, to 'spread the joy'. (Am I sick or what?)

You can PM me what you think each is worth. If that's agreeable, you've got a deal.

Let me know, folks!

Glen A.
NAR 26298 Level 1
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM

GH,

it looks like it has a sort of 'angular' roll pattern to me (think half of the Antares pattern or similar ) - is that just lighting then ?

having missed the ' see-through' part first time I read it ( and not having seem this pic bfore, either, as you note, it's unique ), maybe I;m misreading it ? and it's glare or somesuch ?
looks too 'patterned' for that, but who knows.

It also looks like it has a light colored ( ?white ) nosecone - not the same color as the 'odd-colored' (hard to see ) fin .
Actually, looks to not have the three different fin colors, so interesting there as well.

No huge deal, just something caught my eye ( esp since the Scrambler is one of my all time favs ), and the 'historian' part wondered just how different it was.....

back to looking at old catalogs, then maybe sand some fins on my 'day off' .

~ AL
Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Scrambler is one of my favorites too !
I cloned a couple this year from clone paks.
I'd like to make a 2x upscale for 3x 24mm power but where to find 3.4" CLEAR payload tubing ??

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Scrambler is one of my favorites too !
I cloned a couple this year from clone paks.
I'd like to make a 2x upscale for 3x 24mm power but where to find 3.4" CLEAR payload tubing ??

hmm. not sure of where to find 3.4" tubing, maybe 3.5" acrylic ?

I have not been successful in finding the 1.76" Scrambler tubing either, I used to have a batch o fthe TA-6065, but sold, traded, etc most of em .. still have one, maybe ( and a couple TS5565).

~ AL
Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
It looks like it has a sort of 'angular' roll pattern to me (think half of the Antares pattern or similar ) - is that just lighting then ?

No, I see it too. Don't recall seeing decals like that though.

Quote:
having missed the ' see-through' part first time I read it ( and not having seem this pic bfore, either, as you note, it's unique ), maybe I;m misreading it ? and it's glare or somesuch ?

The original Scrambler payload section was clear plastic. That only lasted a year or so though. They then went to a spiral wound mylar which was thinner then the plastic. That's why the "newer" mylar section fits kind of funkily on the TA and cone. They never changed the cone and TA to properly match the mylar payload.

Kurt Schachner keeps telling me that when he gets one of those elusive RoundTuits that he's going to place an order for the mylar wound Scrambler payload sections from Euclid. He'll have plenty to sell to the cloners/kit makers then because of the size of the minimum order he'd have to place.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Kurt Schachner keeps telling me that when he gets one of those elusive RoundTuits that he's going to place an order for the mylar wound Scrambler payload sections from Euclid. He'll have plenty to sell to the cloners/kit makers then because of the size of the minimum order he'd have to place.

That would be great, count me in for a few - especially now Carl has the cone / transition listed.

~ AL