Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Paint Storage

I've stored my rattle cans in the rocket cave since building my house 23 years ago to keep them climate controlled. I've got a few cans with seldom used colors that are at least that old and still work. Unfortunately, that means that I've probably got about 40 cans stuffed in the shelves taking up a lot of room.

Those of you that store in unheated shops, what kind of luck have you had with them over long periods of time? Here in TN, we see temps dip down to the single digits in winter (F) and occasionally in the triple digits in the summer. I know some of the new products give trouble regardless of storage, so maybe just keep your older cans in mind for the thread.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:21 PM
The Alpha Kid

I have at least a dozen cans 10 to 15 years old in my detached garage out back which endure the same temperatures you mentioned. The cans with the Krylon old school nozzles always work but the others with the rustoleum or duplicolor type nozzles are hit and miss.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:34 PM
The_Ripper

We don't get the cold that you described in TN but we do get the heat and humidity and if you are keeping stuff like paints and glues in your garage it's really hit and miss. A few times here in South Louisiana we did have hard freezes but it never really gets that cold inside of the garage but as a precaution I always bring my epoxies, adhesives and anything that should not be frozen inside now.

Right now we are getting the heat advisories and some days last week with the temps outside the heat indexes were close to 110deg. Way too hot.

I will say about 13 years ago I had a great collection of old Krylon rattle cans, Rustoleum and Dupli-Color in my garage that were subject to some pretty extreme temp swings over that period of time and two pretty bad floods in the garage from hurricanes so some actually sat in an inch or two of water for a day or two but I wiped them off. I always used good practice, inverted and sprayed to keep nozzles clean ect before putting them away and then shook an extra long time next time I went to use them again. Before I moved I tested a few of the cans and had issues with enough of them that I didn't bring any of them with me when I moved.

YMMV but I think the storage and temp swings mine were subjected to was just too much for them. It's a shame too I had some colors that you can't get anymore.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

You should have punctured the cans and drained out the paint. Could have still been used in an airbrush or detail spray gun.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-19-2020, 06:41 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
You should have punctured the cans and drained out the paint. Could have still been used in an airbrush or detail spray gun.
I never even thought of that at the time but that could have been a good reason to save the paint if possible and learn how to airbrush. My friend Scot that got me into Tripoli had a double action airbrush and compressor that I used at his place to paint a few of my rockets with. I was pretty spastic with it but I eventually got to be *decent* painting with it. I found it took a good bit of practice but I just never did get one myself.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-25-2020, 08:16 AM
Lost his Drifter

I just used some Krylon fluorescent yellow and Banner Red spray paint that came out of cans that are 17 and 25 years old. All paint has always been stored in an unheated garage for the past 16 years where the temperature varies from -20 to 105 F. A few cans loose their ability to spray, like all the propellant leaked out. Storing paint this ways, you have to be prepared for loss.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Storing paint this ways, you have to be prepared for loss.
And therein lies the dilemma. Some of my stuff isn't available anymore. Good old lacquer, old style Krylon, etc. in many colors that I'd rather not lose. I've got to do something, though. It's getting to the point that I can't walk around in the rocket cave.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:12 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
And therein lies the dilemma. Some of my stuff isn't available anymore. Good old lacquer, old style Krylon, etc. in many colors that I'd rather not lose. I've got to do something, though. It's getting to the point that I can't walk around in the rocket cave.

Just put the stuff out and forget about it. Seriously. You can always put the point of a halligan through the can to salvage the paint if you need to.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-25-2020, 01:37 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Just put the stuff out and forget about it. Seriously. You can always put the point of a halligan through the can to salvage the paint if you need to.

That's true...and I do like tearing stuff up.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:18 PM
Banned

Can storage . . .

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  134.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  92.6 KB  Click image for larger version