Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Modify the Camroc with a digital pen camera inside.

...., but I may make a Camroc clone and put a pen camera inside that. The inspiration comes from Doug Sams excellent faux Camroc http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=7288.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Modify the Camroc with a digital pen camera inside.
That's what I'm gonna do with my Scamroc. I picked up one of the cigarette lighter cams. It's the same form factor as the gum cams, but shoots out the end rather than the side, so it lends itself better to mounting on the rocket/payload bay.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
That's what I'm gonna do with my Scamroc. I picked up one of the cigarette lighter cams. It's the same form factor as the gum cams, but shoots out the end rather than the side, so it lends itself better to mounting on the rocket/payload bay.

Doug

Doug, what was your source on that ?

Seems it would work good for a faux Cineroc , using double mirrors ( one inside, one outside ), then no reversed images.

~ AL

( not enough time or $ for all the rocketry projects... sigh )
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

I have a gum cam, but same as AL, interested in some details on the one you have.

Have you test flown the Delta/Scamroc combo yet?

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

I started working on another one, a Centuri KS-15 Nike Smoke. This is the version with the two piece plastic nose cone. One fin was gone, the remaining 3 were off with clean breaks. Both launch lugs were missing, but one standoff was still present. I cleaned the 3 fins up a little and made a new fin for the one missing. The nose is rough and is going to take some putty work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NikeSmoke.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  82.6 KB  

I am SAM # 0167

Last edited by timorley : 01-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Doug, what was your source on that ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I have a gum cam, but same as AL, interested in some details on the one you have.

Have you test flown the Delta/Scamroc combo yet?
Haven't flown it yet. I have three camera rockets now, and haven't flown any of them Wunna dese days...

Here's a pic of the lighter cam alongside the gum cam. At right is the business end of the lighter cam.

Here's the site I got it from.
http://www.meritline.com/new-usb-li...?source=d2b0409
I gave $13.49 (w/free shipping) when I bought it. Haven't fired it up yet, so I don't even know how well or if it works

For use with the Scamroc, my thinking was to either make an extra nosecone for mounting the Scamroc looking up out the nose...or...make a second payload tube with a slot on one side into which the lighter cam would be partially recessed, loking down, with a little angle to look slightly off axis (tilted away radially) rather than looking straight down the side of the rocket.
One of my flying buddies here, Dave Schaefer, hit me up one night telling me about a key chain (key fob, linky) cam he was looking at. These are similar to the lighter cam in that the lens axis is along the long axis of the enclosure. While poking around there, I found the lighter cam which I thought was a better form factor (ie, skinny) plus had the lens on the narrow end versus the wide side ala the gum cam.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

The lighter is pretty neat. I've been looking at a camera that shoots out the end shaped like a thumb drive.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

I worked on filling in some really bad places on the Nike Smoke Nose. A glue was used at some point in it's life that really attacked the plastic, so bad on one side it deformed the nose into a slight curve and there were several sunken places. Squadron putty worked well in filling in the blemishes, looks good enough for me.

Next I'm starting to work on an Estes Orbital Transport. The shuttle's wings were broken. The main carrier is missing the nose cone, the canards, and some of the rudders on the tail are missing or broken off, but all were fairly clean breaks. This one I remembered I have a set of original decals for, so it will definitely get sanded down and repainted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NikeNose1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  55.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NikeNose2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  54.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  128.6 KB  

I am SAM # 0167
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I worked on filling in some really bad places on the Nike Smoke Nose. A glue was used at some point in it's life that really attacked the plastic, so bad on one side it deformed the nose into a slight curve and there were several sunken places. Squadron putty worked well in filling in the blemishes, looks good enough for me.

That two-piece vacuform cone was difficult to assemble. The instructions had you cutting tabs from scrap material to be glued into one half to support the seam when the two halves are glued together. My brother had one and we did not know about putty back then.

Bill
Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
That two-piece vacuform cone was difficult to assemble. The instructions had you cutting tabs from scrap material to be glued into one half to support the seam when the two halves are glued together. My brother had one and we did not know about putty back then.

Bill

I saw that when I reviewed the directions on YORP. I contemplated cutting the nose apart and seeing if I could reassemble it and improve the curve, but decided against it. I never used putty back in the day either, this was actually the first time I've tried it. The putty is about an 1/8th inch thick in some places. I did it in layers until I built it back up close to where it should be. I saw some uses of Squadron Green Putty here on YORF on plastic rocket parts and thought I'd give it a try. I'm satisfied with the results.

I am SAM # 0167