Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Master Modeler

I like the altitude graph on the kit instructions.

I got, via an auction at LUNAR around 1999, a built FSI Nova from the same era as that OSO. It had the mimeographed instructions. Motor mount which was rings only.

I believe the model once belonged to John Fox, the same guy who bought and never built the Aero-Dart I have a build thread on.

I have more pictures than shown below, but I'll need to resize them.

I gave the kit a shiny new red pant job. No, haven't flown it. I'll need to build a special mount for 18mm motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  nova_doc.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  514.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FSI_Nova.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  204.4 KB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-09-2023, 10:54 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Thank you posting the picture of the FSI Nova instructions. I built one in 1968, but didn't save those instructions. Built one last year, a later kit, and painted it like my 1968 version. I did add an 18mm motor mount. I do still have a collection of FSI 21mm motors...

Chas
Old 07-09-2023, 09:07 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Reviving this thread once again: this popped up on ebay recently. Old pink hang-tag w/Louisville address. Old mimeograph instructions, heavier than Estes brown Kraft tubes, newer style fins than the first issue, red and black select-a-chute a what look to Be black fish paper launch lugs. Also, motor mount with adapter tube and rings only - no motor tube.

Good you revived this. Very Nice Louisville kit ! I enjoyed FSI rockets myself. Miss them all….
Old 07-10-2023, 09:29 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Reviving this thread once again: this popped up on ebay recently. Old pink hang-tag w/Louisville address. Old mimeograph instructions, heavier than Estes brown Kraft tubes, newer style fins than the first issue, red and black select-a-chute an what look to Be black fish paper launch lugs. Also, motor mount with adapter tube and rings only - no motor tube.

Sean,

Did you buy this one? I thought it went cheap.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-10-2023, 09:43 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Sean,

Did you buy this one? I thought it went cheap.

I did - got it for the asking price of $39 and change.
Very surprised at that.
SAM #0031
Old 07-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

As per usual, I am late to this thread. I have been on a bit of an FSI tear lately, building all the models I ever wanted to have from them.

I still have my original OSO, a veteran of many, many flights.

For all of the critique of FSI quality over the years (well-deserved, I must say), the things are nearly indestructible. I never destroyed an FSI model, only lost them. Also FSI made my favorite all-time motor – the F100.

I am frustrated in my attempt to clone certain models because the instructions often list tube sizes and lengths but not always. The illustrations in the catalogs were done by someone with rather humble skills (as an illustrator myself, I say this kindly) who paid little attention to things like perspective, proportion and shading. So they are as a reference source, as my wife says, "6 kinds of useless".

It's a fairly easy thing to make the cones as FSI didn't have a huge variety. If you have one of each, and the ability and tools to turn them (which I happily do) then they can easily be cloned – also Semroc is a big help here. The one exception is the Nike Smoke – only kit that used that cone and so far (for me) difficult to find.

There is currently an Orbit kit in the For Sale section but the owner is away for a bit, and I am hoping he can measure the tubes for me upon his return (if I can't make a deal for the kit). They appear to be 8 inches for the upper and lower sections. If anyone can confirm this, please let me know. I think this changed over time so an earlier kit may be different than a later one.

Thanks.

Last edited by rraeford : 07-17-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:57 AM
Master Modeler

Regarding the Orbit:

I recall at one point the FSI catalog pointed out the model was "Now Longer." So there were two versions!

It is very likely that the kit used one of FSI's standard tube sizes; it shouldn't be hard to find the two that match.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Master Modeler

I have tubes, what I don't have are the lengths of the tubes. I have the fins and the nose (hardwood original). Just need someone who knows to confirm.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:44 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
As per usual, I am late to this thread. I have been on a bit of an FSI tear lately, building all the models I ever wanted to have from them.

I still have my original OSO, a veteran of many, many flights.

For all of the critique of FSI quality over the years (well-deserved, I must say), the things are nearly indestructible. I never destroyed an FSI model, only lost them. Also FSI made my favorite all-time motor – the F100.

I am frustrated in my attempt to clone certain models because the instructions often list tube sizes and lengths but not always. The illustrations in the catalogs were done by someone with rather humble skills (as an illustrator myself, I say this kindly) who paid little attention to things like perspective, proportion and shading. So they are as a reference source, as my wife says, "6 kinds of useless".

It's a fairly easy thing to make the cones as FSI didn't have a huge variety. If you have one of each, and the ability and tools to turn them (which I happily do) then they can easily be cloned – also Semroc is a big help here. The one exception is the Nike Smoke – only kit that used that cone and so far (for me) difficult to find.

There is currently an Orbit kit in the For Sale section but the owner is away for a bit, and I am hoping he can measure the tubes for me upon his return (if I can't make a deal for the kit). They appear to be 8 inches for the upper and lower sections. If anyone can confirm this, please let me know. I think this changed over time so an earlier kit may be different than a later one.

Thanks.

I have a built Orbit - the kit was from the mid 80’s. I can measure those tubes if you want.

Sean
SAM #0031
Old 07-17-2023, 09:08 PM
Master Modeler

Yes please!